Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Another scammer to watch for

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

This one goes by the name of Mike Shelley, User name hamby1
    Email I got was [email protected]

He responded to my ad for 66 Cadillac fenders by PM on here, it just said "email me as have excellent fenders"

He got back to me immediately but wants to be paid by moneygram only, I asked for pics and he said he couldn't upload at the moment etc etc etc

The alarm bells went off when I noticed he had no posts here and status is FNG.

Be careful out there guys.

I'm not sure if this is the correct section so please move as needed.

2. should report this to Ryan. Had one two weeks ago and reported it to him and he banned the name.

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks, Steve. I'm really glad people take time to post about these dirtbags.Checking a guys history on here is a good indication of where they're coming from. It sucks, but buyer beware.Weather's finally breaking for all us "snow-belt" people- have a safe season. Mike from Mass.

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Beware, the scum will resurface under another name.

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nothing but red flags on that;

Newbie with no posts (answering a want ad)
    Poor English
    No pics (this means; let me google Cad fenders and send you a pic)
    Pay by Money Transfer
    Gmail email addy...

They'll try and try until they hook a "believer". That's what keeps these scammers in business.

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

8. just a heads up gmail accounts are usually a red flag (so if you are legit and have one maybe you should change it). Gmail is scam central and in just about any venue you choose, I am not sure why. I think it is because you can use an auto mailer with Gmail or something. Whatever the reason gmail attracts scammers.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yes the gmail alerted me and the no posts confirmed it, I would never deal with someone with no post count, I have dealt with hundreds of Hamb people and never had a problem.
    he needs a good ass whooping !!!

10. Thanks for this info guys, I will warn other car friends!!! Mikey.

11. never heard that about Gmail , i use it myself

12. How about:
    Ship me the fenders and I will send you a check when they arrive. You can tell by the number and content of the posts I have on HAMB that I am serious and will not just disappear with the parts.

or
    Give me your address and I will have someone from HAMB drop by and check out the fenders. It makes sense to be sure they are what I want before we spend any more time or money.

Charlie Stephens

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Charlie I asked if one of my Hamb buddy's could call in but he went a bit quiet , hahaha

14. I was concerned about dealing with someone with no posts. When I asked him about it he explained how to find his HAMB history and it was there. Ask him about why no posts.

Charlie Stephens

15. gmail? I've been using it for over 10 years and my work uses it as our email server.

16. What makes gmail the choice of scammers? I see gmail addresses on other sites. Guess for me it throws up an immediate red flag. Usually 2 grainy pictures from some other site. Thanks to the Moderators & other HAMBr's for keeping us informed.

17. Gerg

Gerg

Any email address could be used by scammers. The fact that gmail is so widely used and one of the most common email addresses people assume its a scam. I was part of the gmail pilot program so I have been using it for as long as possible and I have no problems.

Scams suck but saying someone using gmail is a flag isn't correct

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

Give me a break...
    That's why I moved to Gmail from Hotmail back in 03.
    So are your saying no more scammers on Hotmail and it's safe to 'go back to the old kingdom'?
    Personally i suspect EVERYONE regardless of faith creed or email address until I have reason not to...

19. thanks for the heads up

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

One thing I do if I'm concerned is what Steve did...ask if you can have a friend nearby look at the items. That usually results in the conversation either going dead, or an excuse about he's out of town now and the parts are at his other storage place. Always some excuse why your friend can't come look at the parts.

21. Yeah I think that fucker just got me too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. stimpy

stimpy

I have a G mail accout for a ddy to post on forums as some forums sell your name to ad spammers( autoguide) , but still you have a e-mail addy with your ISp , But I haven't used that in so long I have to look it up as its synched with my Gmail account . Plus I have a few people on here who have met me in person and know how to get to me .

but not knowing how to post pictures on a $500 part ?? Give me a break ,if needed I can get my nephew to do it, as computers are not my thing .. he showed uncle stimpy how to load a program on his computer when he was 8 the kid is now 23 .. (and still has to show me how to do it at times )

23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Hope this helps:

https://www.moneygram.com/wps/portal/moneygramonline/home/legal/termsAndConditions?CC=GB&LC=EN

5. Cancelling and Refunding a Transfer
    5.1. If you wish to cancel a Transfer, you can call us and request a refund of the Transfer amount. Where possible please enclose a copy of your receipt. We aim to process such requests promptly but in any case within 30 days.

5.2. If you cancel a Transfer, we will generally reimburse any payments which you made to us before exercising your right of cancellation, but: (a) we may not reimburse the Consumer Fee as a reflection of the costs already incurred by us except when the cancellation is due to an error by MoneyGram; or (b) we will not reimburse you if we have paid the Receive Amount to the Recipient before we get your notice of cancellation.

5.3.For an online to cash Transfer, if the Transfer was not made properly or did not arrive, we will promptly refund the Transfer amount and the Consumer Fee if appropriate after investigating the circumstances surrounding the execution of the Transfer.

5.4. We will not be liable where you have not met your obligations in condition 7.3 and the money is paid to someone who gave the Agent what it reasonably believed to be valid identification for the Recipient ("Identification"). Identification will typically comprise a passport or other government issued identification document (the requirements differ depending on the Receive Country you can find out what the requirements are from an Agent or via the "Customer Service / Contact Us" link on our website at www.moneygram.com).

5.5. We will not refund you if we are not liable under condition 12.4.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many of us in the North West know a gent by that name who's always been a pretty stand up guy but no doubt he is not the only one with that name.

25. mikejohn56

mikejohn56

Do not know if this is the same guy but he is also scamming parts , only wants moneygram .. [email protected], will provide pictures ,address that matches name he gives (Jack and Pat Ramirez). he will exchange e-mails and answer questions ,He got me, I was naive to the fact of him being a scam , foolish on my part..

26. jonny z

jonny z

ive been using gmail for years now both in uk & canada, got sick ove crap adverts & scammers on hotmail, didn,t know ther was a problem,? use it for my buiseness also all over the world

27. unethical people do whatever it takes to get your money! though i was getting ripped off for a 53 chevrolet sd. rear door but turns out the guy was just drunken white trailer park trash,did get the part and it was junk! speedracer2002 was the hamber!

28. 117harv

117harv

While these type of threads are great to let others know about this new scammer, a better thing to do is notify a mod asap. If a mod is alerted about the scammer he is immediately banned, possibly saving another member from being scammed who may not have seen the thread.

29. Somebody replied to a wanted ad and got an answer? I gave that up years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.