Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Generator rebuild near Chicago

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falcon-61, Mar 17, 2014.

1. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

So I'm hoping this is the right place for this. I'm pretty sure my generator is killing my batteries because it's pumping out too much juice so I wanna get it rebuilt. However I'm not sure where I can get it rebuilt and am hoping someone on here can give me a few or just one good place to do it. Thanks for any help!

2. Regulator is between the gen and battery. Regulator allows the gen to over perform.

3. BrownCow1992

BrownCow1992
    from joliet il

Theirs a place in blue island that we have pur starters and alternators redone at I forget the name of it but it backs up to train tracks guys really good veen doing it a long time ill get the name tommaro.for you if you still need it

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. slowforty

slowforty

Auto Start,
    Blue Island Ill,
    used to be Mid Regulator

708 388 9080
    12537 irving
    blue island il

5. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Try Spitfire automotive, oak lawn on cicero ave.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What does the ammeter show when it is charging? The regulator should bring it back down once the battery gets recharged. If it is charging too much then it is working. It sounds to me like your regulator is not regulating. You can throw money at it and maybe you will hit it or you can get it tested to find out what is wrong and only fix the problem. Guessing and wasting money on parts is not the best approach IMHO

The ammeter should show a heavy charge at first after starting and then settle down to a normal charge depending on the load at that particular time.

7. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

I'll get a meter on it tonight if I can. I didn't realize the regulator could be the problem. I put a new one in it about a year and a half ago so I just assumed it was the genny. It will kill a battery in just a few starts and 20-30 min drives. I got a new battery, drive it maybe 5 times, mainly around the block to keep the snow plows happy, and now the battery won't hold a charge. Thanks for the info, I'll get a check on it tonight if I can. I'd like to get it fixed soon.

8. stimpy

stimpy

P&G Keene in Bridgeview or Bensenville is who does most of the shops in Chicagos rebuilds .

besides being a regulator if you unhook the battery, have a dead battery issue or remove /replace the generator , they also reccommend repolarizing the generator circuit ,as the feild winding does loose its magnetics .

you should get a Chiltons manual for this type of charging set up .to learn how it functions .

9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Morton Grove Electric in Arlington Heights great place