Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Estate Sale Find (again)...Ross aluminum box and Bell steering wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Mar 17, 2014.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Went back to the hot rodder estate sale today and snagged this Ross aluminum steering box/chrome pitman arm that came with this really small (14") Bell type steering wheel, all for $25.00. It almost looks NOS....Midget stuff?...forklift?...what could this setup be out of?

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

That's what I need for my son's T roadster we're building.

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The 2 Ross boxes I have are similar, one came from older fork truck, and the other from a industrial floor sweeper. An I think I have the exact same wheel on my little 32 modified project. I paid a bit more than you did for my boxes. One was $40 and $45 for the other. Both where one of those ohhhhh man look a Ross box, then as I carried them to the truck I was like, ohhhhh man what am I gonna use these on? Oh well the are sitting in a shed at my dads place to be used at some point I guess...;)

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is what we all dread as we get old, when we die our stuff will be sold for pennies on the dollar.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'm starting to dislike you but really I'm just jealous...

6. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Larry, I will give you 4 times your money for the set up! That is if you want.....lol I can use them on my boys T bucket build we are collecting parts for... And my other Ross boxes are a bit worn..

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

and the stain on the wheel ain't rust...it's birdshit...this was in a large barn.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - right place, right time

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool stuff...cheap! I'd be thinking more like early drag car (Anglia?) style. Most midget setups would use short column with longer offset to the pitman. Seems the wheel alone should be worth 10x the cost without the pidgin poop on it. Great score.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hahaha...pidgin poop :D

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nothing to say, but way to go. Nice find.

12. TV

TV

Larry, we put one of those in our Bonneville modified roadster. It works bitchen, we set it up as a cawl steering. I"m sure you have seen it. Its a modified 27 roadster (Black) and says quick & Easy racing. That is a cool find, they work great.--TV

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Don't clean it off, t'll be worth more to the patina freaks ;).

From the samples shown that you pulled from the well, I think it's time you make an offer on the entire barn contents...

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Yep, I read about your car in Hop Up...really sweet ride.

15. Larry,The steering box could have come from a Crosley.pitman arm was my clue.as I have several of them,

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

There was a poster out that said--

"My bigest fear when I die is that my wife will sell all my stuff for the price I told her I paid for it":eek:

17. i thought, the most toys wins .... =)

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

ain't that the truth. my buddy came by a while back with a Corvette fuel injection unit for his car, he said he told his wife it was $500.00 and she was pissed. he really paid like $3500.00 for it.

19. lukescoupe

lukescoupe
    from oklahoma

Hey Larry you missed the 32 grill that was hiding in the space heater box. Don't worry I missed it too I walked by it three times and a guy walk in went right for the box pulled the grill out said holly crap bought it then walked out to his car with it. I did buy a bunch of good stuff though.

20. 39 Ford

39 Ford

And another widow gets ripped off.

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Wrong...They set the prices for their stuff...they knew what they had...they were happy and so were the buyers.

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

Hey you are on the wrong forum. This site is for hot rods and hot rod parts. Not stuff off of industrial sweepers and forklifts. try forkliftaction.com

;)

23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hush up, you :p

24. Sometimes its about unloading someones collection quickly, into hands of people that can use it, and will cherish it, like their husbands did vs. Squeezing every las t dollar out.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. lukescoupe

lukescoupe
    from oklahoma

I had to payup for the stuff I bought the sellers knew what they had.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to think that most of our wives who have been around the hobby as long as mine has know what stuff is worth or damned well know who they can trust to help price it. The ones the rest of us never met after knowing the husband for 30+ years because they never went to an event or swap meet with him might not have a clue but those are few and far between.

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was talking to my wife the other day about all the "stuff" in the garage. I told her that if I died and she got remarried, that she should sell all of my tools and stuff before she remarried. She asked why, so I told her I didn't want some other asshole using my tools. She said "What makes you think I'd marry another asshole?"

Just to keep this post on topic, nice score on the Ross box.

28. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Ha, Ha, That's ^^^ funny...

29. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

You know what dude you don't know the complete situation on any of the sales, so keep you dick licker shut! If the owner has a price and the customer pays then how is she getting ripped off! If an offer is made and accepted and everyone is happy how is that an issue. I guess when you go to wal mart and buy somthing on sale do you demand to pay full price! Stupid comment dude!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!