Register now to get rid of these ads!

Simple

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

HA, you guys sound like real hot rodders to me...Fixing shit that ain't broke..I'll stay tuned!

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You are really gonna dig the redesign then.

4. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I like the simplicity. Im glad you kept the traditional hot rod and custom sub forums though

5. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Sounds like much won't change from my perspective. I usually just hit the "new posts" button anyway. Thanks for what you do Ryan.

6. What? There are other forums besides the traditional forum?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. +1, Love the focused edge of those sub-forums.

You too?!?

Looks clean Ryan...can't wait for the complete overhaul!

8. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Hi Ryan and Crew
    I'm with you 100%. No matter what changes have been made in the past, this is the greatest traditional hot rod and custom car website available. Any changes that are made are not to upset or confuse. I have not been here from day one, but understand how the content becomes diluted with some who don't get it and jump in with off topic words and photos. Keep doing whatever you guys are doing. I, and MANY others, are with you all the way.
    THANKS to all!! (how's that for brown nosing? <smiling>)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  9. Sounds good, I support the changes, was kind of confusing.

10. millersgarage

millersgarage

11. Thank you Poobah.

12. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

13. Keep changing the format until you get it right,,we will embrace the changes,,in time.:D HRP

14. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

And today I started loving you again...;)

15. Hmmmm....

I don't see this as a 'fix'. Eliminating the 'inspired' forum will likely be seen as an attempt to drive away those posters who did use it, and is unlikely to do much about the ones who mistakenly post in the 'traditional' forums, it may make the problem worse.

I 'get' your desire to keep 'purity' in the traditional forums and fully support that, but where the 'line' is drawn has sometimes been puzzling. I thought the split into the three 'car' forums was great, allowing the guys who didn't have a 'pure' car a place to post builds, tech questions, etc without having to wade through all the 'other' posts. For me personally, I liked it because my car isn't 'trad' (courtesy of the PO) but I want to 'convert' it to a closer vision of a traditional car as time and budget allows and this is the place to find that. The DIY-based ideas, innovation, and cross-fertilization that goes on here is phenomenal, not something you'll find at the billet-infested, 1-800 rod sites. The next closest is the rat rod sites, and who wants to go there?...

I could go on more, but that's the gist....

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Bravo!
    The previous format was too confusing.
    "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify."
    Henry David Thoreau

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

At the end of the day, this is not and never will be a street rod site... And that's not a personal thing, it's an editorial thing.

18. I liked it the way it was. I like it now. I'm sure I'll like the new Version as well. .

19. Abomination

Abomination

Thank God - this is something I've wanted for a while, now.

~Jason

20. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

I like this simplified organization much better. What do you think about changing the order so the Hokey Ass category is under the hot rods and customs categories? I think it might communicate that it represents a summation of the two categories above it (plus the other stuff) and let's viewers know the hot rods and customs are the priority focus of the website. Keep up the good work, BO

21. starliner62

starliner62

I'm so confused!!!!!(not really)

22. I get that, and if it were a street rod site I probably wouldn't be here. Are there cars here that are basically just low-buck street rods with the only 'traditionally inspired' part of them being the fact that they're the right age? You bet. But there's also cars that don't fully meet the 'purity' test but are 'traditionally inspired', 'failing' due to some build detail made for personal, practical, or budget reasons. Or is this to become an elitist site, with only those with the time, location and/or money who can track down the 'correct' parts for a period-perfect build being welcome?

I know that comes across as a bit harsh, but if you want to preach the gospel, you gotta get 'em into the tent first.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Honestly, I don't have a problem with being viewed as "elitist." People use it as a personal strike of sorts, but I don't take it that way. Whatever we do... whether it be events, books, merch, whatever... I want it to be full tilt. Best we can do. Quality over anything else.

If that's elitist, I'll take it!

But that doesn't mean we don't cater to guys on a budget. For instance, my neighbor has a 51 Chevy truck. He paid $4500 for it. He since has lowered it, split manifolds, done the brakes, rebuilt the tranny, and put some bitchin rubber on it. He now has $6500 in it... and it's straight up bad ass. Pics soon.

Point being, I don't think budget gets in the way of the kind of car we like to focus on around here. There's nothing wrong with a budget built car with a clipped front-end, radial tires, modern wheels, etc... It just isn't something we focus on here.

24. I, too, subscribe to the "less is more" mentallity. Kind of like a mild custom, just tweekin' the original design makes it more attractive.
    I like what I see and like I said 6 months ago, I'm here for the long run.

25. I get what you're saying. I'm going to miss the traditional styled subforum. I spent most of my time there because I like seeing what the average Joe is up to. I just kind of lurk on the traditional forums. They're major league, theyre out of my league, which is absolutely a compliment to not only the talent, but the aesthetics and knowledge as well.
    I'll always hang out here no matter the changes, because I don't feel like a geek here.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Ahhhh....it's good to be back home.

27. ssimpala

ssimpala

I like SSimple. :)

28. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First, kudos to Ryan for trying to please all of the people all of the time. Apparently that's not possible...

Seems to me it'd be a whole lot simpler and a lot less work for Ryan and the mods if we could ALL just read the stuff that interests us and ignore the stuff that doesn't. IMHO the only people who should be policing what's sufficiently "traditional" for the site are Ryan and his delegates. His site, his rules. If you don't like it, don't waste keystrokes whining about it, set up your own site in your own vision.

Me, I'll always be here, whatever the format. Most of what I see here appeals to me in some way. But I'm not a blinkered traditionalist.

29. seatex

seatex

Do whatever you want, you AIN'T RUNNIN' ME OFF!:rolleyes: