Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame building with 32 rails for 30 roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MR K., Mar 8, 2014.

1. MR K.

MR K.

So i cant seem to find the thread... but im thinking about buying a set of 32 rails for my roadster. Im doing some home work on best way to build and I swear I found a thread weeks back that mentioned making the rails a bit farther apart?? Any insite on this?
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. MR K.

MR K.

Still cant find that dam thread.

3. fortynut

fortynut

Go on the Net and download the blueprints from Wescott for '32 frames, and for 1929 Highboy on 1932 frames. It's best seen and analyzed if you make it larger than 8 1/2" x 11". With all due respect to Mr. Wescott these are best viewed blown-up as large as your local instant printer is able to make them on one sheet. (Take your printed copy and they will enlarge it.) Along with those of the 35'-40'car & 35'-41' truck (same print) it has been a most invaluable tool, for me, even though some people I know report minor discrepancies in the dimensions for the latter frames. No matter what, you can't go wrong knowing beforehand where everything goes and relative proportions. I would venture to say armed with these, unless you are willing to buy copies of the actual Ford prints that are also available, for more money, and Vern Tardel's book on building vintage Ford Hot Rods, you could conquer vast areas of the unknown that currently exist in your knowledge, and be able to make informed choices about how to build your dream Hot Rod. Carl

4. fortynut

fortynut

And, yes, Amazon had the Tardel book, last time I looked, in addition to numerous others suitable for expanding a man's knowledge in all area's Hot Rod. One of my old faves is Tex Smith, who has cobbled together a lot of information in all his offerings, too numerous to mention. Reading, like they tell you in school, is still the best way to learn something, short of being an apprentice, and unless you're lucky enough to be able to hang out with a guru, even that old system has been put out to pasture. So read 'til it hurts, and then some. Carl

5. MR K.

MR K.

Thanks!

6. Karl Wescott

Karl Wescott

The diagrams are uploaded as a "pdf" file. You may be also able to download to a thumb drive (or have your printer service download directly) and print a larger version without printing then enlarging.

Please feel free to enjoy, print for your personal or business use, or even give away copies, but respect our copyright and credit us and do not sell prints.

7. Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. brady1929

brady1929

Great information here

9. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

I have a '30 roadster that I have had for 20 years and has a Total Performance Model A frame. It's too flimsy and I am some day going to put a '32 under it too. I priced all of the components to build one and it seems to me that buying one from Brookville or another shop is the way to go. By the time you figure dimensions and build a jig it doesn't seem worth it.