Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anybody ever front clip a '61 olds 88?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Mar 16, 2014.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I'm totally dissatisfied with my suspension, steering and brakes. Any body ever front clip one?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

No, nobody has ever clipped a car like that.

Why would you? All parts are available and you aren't going to get anything much better.

Replace all worn parts especially the rubber bushings and get an alignment. Don't forget a new set of quality shock absorbers.

You will be pleased with how well it rides and handles. If you still are not satisfied you can add a stiffer sway bar but give it a chance to show what it can do first.

The stock drum brakes are perfectly fine for normal driving especially on the prairies. There may be a disc brake kit available but I don't know who makes them.

3. BIG OLE CAR LIKE THAT, you be better off with one of ART MORRISON'S FRAMES.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm building a 61 for someone. The front end is pretty stout, most parts are avalable, but lower ball joints, and some tie rod ends (depends on power steering or not, and what make of PS you have) are costly!
    I decided the cost of the hard to get joints outweighed the cost of clipping, so I rebuilt the front end, and put a Scarebird disc brake kit on it...VERY nice kit, BTW. Adjust the steering box tighter, lower the car a bit (stiffens the way-too-soft suspension), add gas shocks, and radial tires help the ride and handling characteristics.