Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buying a Non-Op'd car from California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RainierHooker, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you do not find an answer already posted here that guaranties exactly what you have to do to meet the requirements of the Calif/Washington DMV for the purchase/transport/driving of your possible new toy give this gal a call/email: Professional Registration Services - Donna Leak 530-320-5708/[email protected]

2. purple

purple

Sometimes the DMV would "require" plates be turned in because for a time they were trying to get all cars to have new white plates. Its another possible reason for no plates.

You can tow the car on a flatbed or a full trailer, as long as the unregistered cars wheels never touch the road it is legal. But that technically includes when you are loading it. This would be the preferred way as you can take it right up to WA with sales papers in hand. You can buy a moving permit and drive it, but it is only good for 1 day. The currently registered owner can get a free moving permit but he has to tell them the day and reason so the info is filled out at the counter. The purchased type of permit is blank for you to fill in when you are ready to use it.

3. spooler41

spooler41

Do it the easy way, put the car on a U-haul trailer and haul it home.
    Then you can deal with Washington only ,on the paper work.

...........................Jack

4. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Good info there. I know these places exist. Fortunately never needed one.

Huh!

This never happened to me and I've bought 26 vehicles here since 1975. That's almost like one every 18 months, so maybe they only did that the first year of the new plates or something.

(Anybody remember what year the blue plates quit? The black ones? My Plymouth has had the blue ones since I bought it in 1984. I've never owned a black plate.)

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Thanks for all the replys and info guys. I've got two cars on the list, one local and the one in California. I think the car in LA is probably the better of the two, but I'm trying to factor time and effort into the equation too. After all time is money...

Again, thanks for the info, and now I have at least a direction to look...

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I got non op papers right here on my desk. Its 80 bucks to re register. You can walk into a registration place and walk out with plates in 15 minutes.

8. Don't turn over a nickle until the seller is prepared to present you with a clear title and current registration with plates on the car. That's his responsibility.

9. The ONLY way this exempts the car from the Non Op rule, from what DMV has told me, (and what reading of those codes you posted will tell you) is if the car is registered with Horseless Carriage, Historical Vehicle or Antique Motorcycle plates. There used to be CA Street Rod plates that fit into this as well, but that was repealed January 1, 2004

10. A trip permit is available from California DMV. It is good for a direct route trip to move the car from one place to another in lieu of registration. But it won't do you any good in Oregon or Washington if you are planning on driving it back. It is also not valid if you just want to cruise around California while you are here.

12. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Sometimes.....But we have to be smart enough to refuse and keep our classic plates. You have to push back and insist you want to keep your plates. I bought a O/T car in 1986 with black plates. I titled the car in my name...never registered. Fast Forward to 2010...I go to the DMV with my title, plates and VIN verification. I just wanted it Non-Op'd. They take a Xerox of the plates, my money and send it all off to Sacramento. 6 weeks later, I get my new pink slip and Non-Op'd "registration" card, all showing my black license plate number. Every year since then, get a registration renewal in the mail.

Black plates - 1963 to 1969
    Blue plates - 1970 to 1988-ish

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just put a vintage bike back in, and the supervisor said it was exempt. Just paid the regular fee. It was 10-years out.

14. It's funny how every non op/DMV/out of state registration thread goes sideways. The fact is, the State of Washington couldn't care less about what took place in California. If you bring in a car with a properly signed and valid title, I'm sure they will register it without any drama. They don't care if it has plates. They don't want them anyway. If the VIN matches the title, you're good to go. Just don't drive it or flat tow it in WA until you're done at the DMV

15. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

. Randy is correct. You are only able to put the car on non opt only when the registration is due for yearly renewal.

16. Soviet

Soviet

This. A clean title is all it'll take.

17. Chiefrider

Chiefrider
    from Lower 48

No, you can immediately non-op one when you transfer it, as long as it's clean and free going in. If it was currently registered to the old owner, or on a non-op to him, either way, you can get a title only with a non-op, then register it later when you're ready. I have at least 7 that way right now, fresh pinks in my name, some with plates some without, all on non-op status

18. purple

purple

I got it backwards about which permit was which. Safest route is to get a moving permit and put it on a trailer. The permit means it can be moved no matter how much is owed at the DMV or whatever. Just get it to WA and it'll be easier to deal with.