Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rubber brake line on an F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustang6147, Mar 16, 2014.

1. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I have a steel to rubber back to steel brake line that runs off my master cylinder, down the firewall, to a junction block. Its dry rotted, I replaced all my other rubber lines, and steel.

My question is, this line is not made, or not available at the parts store. I know a guy who will make one. But I am wondering why I can use steel?

Why did they use this rubber line? A similar line is used on my hydraulic clutch.

Input would be great. (59 f100)

2. Vibration probably. You might find the fittings are different. Just make sure the ends of the rubber are flare fittings.

3. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Provided you have the correct fittings just make a couple of loops in the ,line like GM and others did and you shouldn't have a problem

4. stimpy

stimpy

my Gates hydraulic guy used to make me these for some Heavy equipment , look in the phone book and see if you have one local and have him make one up . they can do rubeer with fabric innerbraid or copper inner braid , or go fancy with stainless .

5. I went to NAPA with an old one and they took the spec's and found me one.

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many hydraulic shops will not build rubber brake hoses, at least all in my area, the last time I checked. I just go to NAPA and order them from their hose catalog. :)

7. gafridge

gafridge

Mine went out a few years ago,I worked at Napa at the time,got 2 pieces of the poly armor brake lines 3/16,I think one was 8 '' and 1 12'',may have had to use 2 12''.For the rubber part used a 72 Chevelle front disc brake hose.Hope this helps,should be around 20 bucks,can bend by hand if You use the poly armor.

8. Rob68

Rob68

There is a fellow on the 57-60 F100 facebook page who is having both the clutch and brake lines made in small batches. Look him up or pm me for info. I made my own but hate them and will get a set from him at some point.
    Rob68

Hard to see but there it is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  9. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I simply want to use steel. I am thinkin a few loops will achieve the same thing as rubber used to.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. mechanic58

mechanic58

I have never seen a rubber hose used in that location before. That must be some shit someone rigged up on there at some point in the past. That's not factory.

12. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

It is stock, from the factory.

13. mechanic58

mechanic58

lol...I don't believe it.

14. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since your '59 ('57-up) F-100 is the first generation of firewall-mounted masters, Ford (probably) figured the cab and/or firewall movement required a flexible line(s), or they wouldn't have gone to the extra expense and inventory of special lines. :)

15. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Thanks V8, I assumed it's was a result of cab movement, and Ford also used the same steel to rubber line front the clutch m/c to the slave cylinder assuming the same movement reason.

I hate to spend the extra money on a made line, I am thinkin steel with a few loops, and a mounting bracket like current trucks will be better.