Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring turn signals...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Mar 15, 2014.

1. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I bought an EZ wiring kit a couple years ago to rewire my '47 Ford. It was my first wiring job, and everything went ok, except the turn signals. I struggled and struggled with it, asked for help from our electrical guru and between he and I got it working. With the dual 2 prong flasher relays (intended for LED TAIL LIGHTS, will not flash using standard bulbs!!!)that came with the wiring harness with an additional standard 3 prong flasher relay connected into the system, seemed to be the only way it would work. So I just recently have gone through a complete overhaul and put in a sbc and MII front suspension (the ultimate HAMB sin I know, but the old drivetrain is going into a much more fun project very soon!).

Anyway, getting to my point, I wanted to share how I resolved this issue. I wish I would had done this long before, but it's better late than never I suppose. So I ended up routing the wires around the fuse box and wiring it into an inline fuse and a standard 3 prong flasher relay. Easy and simple. I had to make a little mount for the flasher relay, but that was no big deal.

Moral of the story, check to see if your flasher relays are intended for use with LED lights OR standard filament bulbs!!! If you use LED flasher relays with standard filament bulbs, they WILL NOT blink!!! I pulled my hair over that issue for far too long, I'm hoping this may help keep you from doing the same!

And also, check your grounds, turned out I also had a bad ground in my right tail light. Troubleshooting isn't really fun, (at least until you figure it out) and it certainly can be time consuming, as this was.

2. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I'm sure this is obvious and easy stuff for most of you guys, especially the ones who have been doing this far longer than I have (I'm still a young buck at 24). But I figured it was worth posting for those of you who have much to learn, as I do.

3. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

A 3 prong flasher terminals are x- power in, l- load out, and p- pilot light.
    2 prong flasher has x and l
    most kits wire pilot lights thru dash indicators.
    If your using a bolt on turn signal switch, hook the l and p together on l terminal
    LED lights need a no load LED flasher.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for adding electrical tearms I've never seen in print before. Sure helps the ecectricaly clueless like me in the dark. Bob :cool:

5. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

That's great advice, a lot easier than what I did.