Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 403 Olds engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoneSpar, Mar 16, 2014.

1. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Is a 1977 403 Olds desirable? I have one on a motor stand in my shop. Was going to put it in my 56 Chevy panel truck but decided to keep the SBC in it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

some olds guy like them....some of the mid 70's Trans Am's came with them so TA guys except them...definitely desired by some, don't throw it away...

3. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Like everything else, some folks like 'em and some folks don't.

I would keep it just to have another "different" engine laying around. But then I am an engine junkie.

4. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

I need to clean up my shop, but I did think about doing a rod project.....

Sent from my BLU Life One using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. They are a castrated 455 aren't they? I think GM was trying to make a more fuel friendly big motor, by destroking the 455, I've heard that by destroking, they destroyed the strength of the 455, namely big torque numbers

6. 24riverview

24riverview

No, actually a bored out 350, a "small" block Olds motor.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Negatory Steve!

The 403 got a bad rap from being a lo-po snigger alternative to the Pontiac 400 in Trans Ams,but it's a big bore,short stroke 350 Olds on steroids.
    (in my opinion the Olds was by FAR the finest of all the 350's).

Anyway,with a decent cam,compression and carb,these things make a shitload of power!

A buddy of mine ran one in an o/t trans am in highschool,and there were VERY few cars around town that would give him any trouble.

Scott

8. stimpy

stimpy

its what the T/A guys call the window block , something that had to do with the way the mains were designed ( never paid attention as I ussually was pulling them for a 400 or 455 Poncho ) , OLds guys treat them like the Ponitac guys treat the 301 , some like them, ALot dont, they do not like revs , but they make lots of bottom end and cruise torque so you don't need them most of them used 2:40 gears with them .

9. mechanic58

mechanic58

The worst part about a 403 is the block - they are "lightweight" castings. They have windows in the main webs actually. From a geometry standpoint they are great engines with a lot a potential - but they just aren't strong enough to handle big hp. The second worst part about em is the heads - find an early set of 350 heads, #5 or #6 and put those on and you can really wake one up. I've always like a small block olds....I just never cared for the accessory drives they have. I'm using a '70 350 in the t-bucket I'm building right now, but I am making my own accessory drive.

10. blue57ford

blue57ford

I overhauled a TH350 that was behind a 403 in a Trans Am last year. I was surprised by how peppy it was. It had no problems moving that car.

11. stimpy

stimpy

from what the olds guys were saying if you get rid of the factory manifolds and put headers or a true dual style manifold they make some power , the goofy 2 into one manifolds are what held them up .

12. COOP

COOP

Had a 403 given to me 'cuz the guy that owned it didn't have any use for it, but didn't wanna toss it. It sat in my barn for a couple of years before I stuck it in a T Bucket. Factory rated at 145 H.P. Found out its a torky 'lil shit. Smolders the tires right thru 2nd gear. It came with a bad 400 turbo that I'm gonna have to change. It is all stock with a Q-junk carb. all I did was fabricate a set of lakes type headers with no mufflers. With it's low compression it ain't all that noisy. Kinda like fartin' in a sock. Seeing as there is no weight to haul around I think it will hold together. I'm not an Olds lover, but I was pleasantly surprised how it ran and managed to keep cool with a little 2 core T type radiator.

Attached Files:

13. 61falcon

61falcon

good heads and a mild cam it will be a good engine and its way cooler than a belly button.

14. 26Troadster

26Troadster

they are over bored 350's with lightened blocks, but had the best factory rods in a small block. i have seen some good ones over the years.

15. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Well I am going to have to sell it now. Getting a 56 Vette engine tomorrow.... Going to been my motor stand back!!!