Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Re: How to un-chop a `32 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sailingadventure, Feb 13, 2014.

1. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

You guys & your MIG guns ?????????????????????????????????????????

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to stop by and see the progress, Jeff. It's been a while.

Isn't it funny that we both know Buster from different days and through different people. I need to go see him and see how he's progressing on his latest "mood" car. You know. He works on it when he's in the mood. :)

BTW, last year when I was talking to him, he said that he almost always Mig's his sheet metal. And if I know anyone who is "old school", it's Buster. :)

3. dmc3113

dmc3113

I don't think he has been in the mood lately. At least he wasn't the last time I talked to him. It's been a couple of weeks.

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

His moods get further apart as he gets older. I can understand that. Besides, he doesn't really need a 4th deuce. :D

5. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

The sheet metal was tacked in place with a MIG, but the final welding was TIG>

[​IMG]

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

When you did the plywood on the roof did you lay the outer edge on the metal or just inside? and what was the thickness 1/8" or 1/4"

7. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

We used 1/4" plywood, it was cut to fit exactly in the opening so there would be as little gap as possible. The plywood was given a coat of clear polyurethane to give the contact cement a good surface to stick to.

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Kool thanks for the info. was going to do a metal insert with top material over that but the wood looks like it works well.

9. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Very nice work and thanks for all the details..

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pictures do not do their work justice. Jeff and Steve do incredible work. That top is flawless. Not to mention that black nitrocellulose paint job....

11. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

12. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

Jeff-

Thanks for posting this info, especially the roof treatment. I have a 32 sedan and I've been trying to decide about filling the top with metal or the more original look. I think you have convinced me your method would be best for me also. I really enjoyed reading this thread and your attitude of sharing is the best. Thanks again.

Larry

13. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Thanks, Larry, wiring is in progress and building seats and upholstery is next. More pictures soon.
    Jeff

14. Harps

Harps

Jeff and Steve, amazing work! Can't wait to see the updates on the rest of the build.

Rob

15. Any chance of seeing pics from inside the car with the plywood showing?
    -Pat

16. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

005 (2).jpg I don`t have any pictures with the bare plywood showing, but this is how it looks with the insulation installed.
    111/10/15 Well I did find a picture of the plywood from inside. Here it is 012.JPG

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. chiro

chiro

Anybody done this plywood trick on the roof of a model A sedan? I wonder how it it will work out as I am thinking of doing that on mine.

Andy

18. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Avanti trimmed out 018.jpg Avanti trimmed out 020.jpg Avanti trimmed out 021.jpg Avanti trimmed out 019.jpg Avanti trimmed out 023.jpg Avanti trimmed out 024.jpg Avanti trimmed out 025.jpg Avanti trimmed out 018.jpg Avanti trimmed out 020.jpg Avanti trimmed out 021.jpg Avanti trimmed out 019.jpg Avanti trimmed out 023.jpg Avanti trimmed out 024.jpg Avanti trimmed out 025.jpg Avanti trimmed out 018.jpg Things have slowed down at the shop. Work sometimes gets in the way of fun, but that`s what pays the bills. Here`s what Steve`s done since the last post.
    He has just about finished the wiring. He used the cloth covered wire to attempt to keep it period correct. Here are some pictures;

The seat frames are taking shape, but since this is our first time doing upholstery we`re learning as we go.
    Well, that`s about all for now but I`ll post more soon.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    kidcampbell71 and davweed34 like this.
  19. Wow that's nice!!!

20. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Love the Corvette front mount! And of Course the hole build!!!

21. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Just wondering, what type of fabric did you use on the roof insert? Great job!

22. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Read post #50

23. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks, I must have missed that reading through the thread. You guys do some nice work.

24. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

002.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg 001.jpg 003.jpg Ok, it`s been a while since I posted progress on the `32 so here`s some new pictures of the seats. As most of you know, the front seats in a sedan were buckets but Steve wanted a bench seat. The coupe seat was the style he wanted but it didn`t fold for access to the back seat area. He took measurements from a coupe seat and made one that would fold. Here are some pictures of it.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. dealing with the front would be a problem I think, without fabing a lip similar to the sides and back and filling the top corners that has no metal currently.

26. pitman

pitman

Find an A sedan without the top in place, take a careful look at the depth plans, and trim your insert to fit? Then you might use the finishing trim strips.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks much for the in-detail pics of the folding seat frame. The 'split-side plates' are the solution to what was a worrisome problem, also the geometry of the hinge center.

I was surprised at the use of the Corvette mount...Great choice, looks like the 'Corvette was transplanted'. As some knowledgeable Corvette devotees would have done it 'back then'.

Tally this all up to 'Tarheel ingenuity', alive & well in the Carolinas...

28. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Thanks Mike, That`s the look we wanted.

29. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

subscribed

30. drifter47

drifter47

Great Work.Look like a very clean well equipped shop.