Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick open drive conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Is there a way to convert a 59 Buick Invicta to an open driveline? My engine and trans are shot, and have thought about dropping in a 455 and th400, but obviously the rearend will be an issue. Any suggestions (other than put a nailhead and original trans back in it)?

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

There have been a couple threads here that mention using an open drive center section out of a different Buick.

3. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've seen threads on installing jag independent suspension and using the later Chevy truck arms to mount a different rearend also. I don't know about threads on the HAMB, but I've also seen local cars with a regular rear lead spring suspension, so you have some options. Your skill level will play the biggest part in what you decide to do in the end

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A center section (aka 3rd member) from a '61 / '62 full size Buick will fit you axle housing and they are open drive line. Your could use that that method, assuming you can find a donor car for the center section, to convert your car to open driveline.

However, that is not the whole story. Once the torque tube is gone, you still have to control axle housing rotation. I am not certain of the frame configuration of your '59 Buick. On Buicks built through '57, the frames had full length side rails and a stout "X" member in the center area. With that configuration, it was fairly simple to install stronger control arms, an excellent choice being the GM " truck arms", and attach them to the X near the front U joint area. The stock Buick diagonal arms, originally used with the torque tube, are not strong enough for the task as they did not serve that function.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

5. good info. that's what I did on my 57.

6. I wish i had the $$$ to due my 56 buick wagon, but right now i guess i will have to stick with the 322 motor and dynflow transmission.Bruce.

7. badsco

badsco

On my 60 Buick, I used a rear end from a donor 74 Monte Carlo, arms and all. I cut the lower brackets off the diff and swapped them side to side (so they pointed out towards the frame rails) and made brackets to mount them to the frame rails. I made mounts for the top arms by installing a square tubing cross member. This gave me a triangulated 4 link.
    There is a center section that would support trailing arms as hnstray says, so depending what you have access to either may be a good option.
    That Monte rear end was the perfect width for the car too BTW. If you want to keep the big bolt pattern (I used a camaro front clip to match the Monte) you can get one out of a 91-96 Caprice, Roadmaster etc that share the 5X5 bolt pattern

8. Thanks for the help y'all. I have the skills and tools to do a monte or jag swap, but I'd rather keep things as simple as possible. (more time for other stuff). The center section swap definitely sounds like the route for me, and I happen to have a couple donors that may work (61, and a 64). I would suspect it'd be pretty easy to make up a control arm to take the torque. thanks again for the help.

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

borderboy1971: I sent you a PM.

10. buford26

buford26