Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Love this build. The bed is really coming together. Congrats and GREAT WORK!!

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Mayby I missed it but what are your plans for the cab? Are you doing fiberglass again or do you have an original rat holed?

As always nice work and very entertaining documentation.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well it's a long story I will shorten mate, I've had 3 cabs offered to me that I could use for moulding but all needed a lot of work to get them good enough to take a mould from so the latest plan is to mould off the back of a decent cab and then join it to a front section out of our Coupe mould. I'm looking at stretching the tiny cab a bit for room, so far playing with side on pics it looks like 2-3" stretch maximum otherwise the proportions go off, I've seen an American stretched cab that has an extra 6" in it but to me it looks goofy, I'm trying to keep the correct overall look, let's hope I get it right !!!

So in answer to your question yes it will be a glass cab, I already have a queue of prospective customers patiently waiting.

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a pleasure to watch you create Steve!

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude, it might just start to get complicated :cool:

gypsydug likes this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes! And I can't wait to see it get complicated! That's half the fun in watching your build!

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The fun is about to start Vall :D

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Went and collected this today, its not the nicest thing in the world but it has a fairly decent rear panel which will save no end of work, its been well butchered in places but dimensionally fairly correct, once I graft our 41 front on it it should look much better, once its all nice and straight we will mould off it. It will certainly save a lot of work & time.

I won't be keeping the outstanding firewall :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

I sure would like to see the whole process of taking a mould and producing a body from that. Your level of detail should make it outstanding.

10. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Are you planning on stretching it through the doors? Or are you adding the extra length behind the door so stock doors would work? I tried to fit myself into a stock one once, was kind of laughable!

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I will try not to disappoint you :D

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah I know what you mean, I've made provision on my frame to keep as much of the stock firewall as possible which helps loads, in my opinion adding behind the B post doesn't work and anymore than 2" in the doors looks goofy, stay tuned as I intend to get stuck into this over the next few days.

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

X2, fiberglass work is still a bit of a mystery to me. Whole thing looks impressive as usual.

14. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

A friend was stretching a modelA pu that never got finished. He moved the firewall forward about an inch and a half, and added an inch to the door. He chopped the top about 2" I think, and it did not look stretched at all. Maybe by giving it a little at both the a and b pillars and a little in the door it will end up looking slightly chopped proportionally.
    I am sure whatever you have in mind it will look spot on, as in watching your other Willys build progress it seems that the right way or better looking way usually trumps the easy/ quick way and your results show it.

15. Marten

Marten

If you delete all comments, you will have a online how-to-do-book..really
    great explanation, Thanks!
    Now I only need some tools and a pair of golden hands.

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its fairly straight forward as long as you stick to the main rules, I will ask the laminator to take some pics, I'm only getting it to a decent standard.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The laminator made up a new front section from the coupe mould so last night we had a bit of a play around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  18. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

amazing work as always Steve!

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well finished the fence first thing so got plenty of brownie points :D then more or less spent the rest of the day measuring, then measuring and then measuring again !!! :(
    Decided where the join will be between the 2 halves and laid a plan out for the recess in the firewall. It was really a 2 man job but no one was around today, will have to get Gomez back to lend a hand :cool:

Also a few bits & pieces arrived, door locks, handles hood hooks & willys side trim, the eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed the cab is a 40 with the wipers above the screen, the coupe front is a 41 with wipers below the screen and has an extra swage line the 40 doesn't have plus I like the wipers above the screen, hence my cut line is below the 41 wipers, the side trim is the correct half round 40 pickup deluxe trim, the coupe trim is peaked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These fenders caused me quite a bit of head scratching as I couldn't get them to fit right at first, until I realised they were the ones Mr Noble had used for mocking up his body and he had cut a bit off them, sussed it in the end though :)

[​IMG]

Door hinges are polished stainless steel, these were not available when I did my Coupe so they were chromed, these are much nicer and not much more money.

[​IMG]

Door locks are Bearjaw type, I don't usually use bearjaw preferring an older style latch but these were cheap !!!

[​IMG]

Willy Reproduction Parts chrome door handles

[​IMG]

32 Ford hood hooks, probably only need 2 as I intend to hinge the hood

[​IMG]

40 pickup deluxe side trim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not sure about amazing Mark but it's getting tricky for sure, cheers bud

21. Weasel

Weasel

Mr. Nordahl must love you!;)

22. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Thanks for showing the process. Very interesting.

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yep, best mates , lol

24. 4444Design

4444Design

that's some really outstanding fab-work you are doing

love all the Details - except the fact the Body is made from glass but can imagine how difficult it is to get Hands on a steelie in the UK

anyway - outstanding work

full respect for your skills

subscribed

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Willys bodies aren't easy to get anywhere! Or they'd be way cheaper if they were!

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I don't really see the problem with fibreglass, it certainly won't rust lol

27. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

Yep, Willys are cool in steel or glass. And Steve you do amazing work!

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the positives Stu.

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

When mocking up at the weekend I slipped the bed into place to get an idea where my rear lights wanted to be so last night I hacked out the brackets in some 1/4" stainless plate.
    Firstly I made a template, wanted them to mirror the shape of the hinge brackets but mount from the other side of the stake bed pockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lights have angled mounting on them and I needed a slight bend in the mounting area of the plate, just bending gave too large a radius so I partially slit it with a cutting disc and then bent it and welded it up, this gave a nice tight bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need a polish and they will be done, simple but effective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. nice work as usual Steve