Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hub/Centercap ideas for 8 lug wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J&K, Mar 8, 2014.

1. J&K

J&K

Our Chevy 3600 has some massive hubs that won't clear aftermarket half moon hub cabs that came with our new steel wheels.

Do you folks have any cool ideas for caps or treatment other than plain old steel wheel and boring lug nuts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

hubcaps from a more modern truck work, but won't look vintage.

I typically use some chrome lug nuts and some stainless beauty rings to make dress up the wheels on the heavy duty pickups.

LMC has a good price on beauty rings, lug nuts from NAPA or O'Reilly

3. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

What bobwop said, also start looking at some more modern 8 lug trucks, may find something that appeals to you.

These MAY fit http://www.hubcapmike.com/baby-moons.html in the 12 inch size. I seem to remember some baby moons of that size for trailers that may have been a little deeper for the hubs.

4. Look at the 70's GMC, Chevrolet 4x4 caps. 1/2 and 1 ton not too bad

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good, right like it is.

6. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Theres no way in hell your gonna find anything to fit the rear wheels. Im with gimpy, looks good as is.

7. J&K

J&K

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might try a baby moon from hubcap Mikes. They look very similar to the set we already have though. It says they're stainless though, so that's different.

I am a fan of plain ol' steel wheels but they look unfinished on the truck. The original hub caps fit on the original wheels. Someone was suggesting that I get a set of the clips and screw them into the wheel for use with old caps... hmmmm.

8. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These wheels are for my 41 fire truck.Just painted with chrome lugs and bullet caps from So-cal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Know any horse people? I've seen some nice baldy caps on 8 lug horse trailers.

10. J&K

J&K

how about some bullet center caps. we found some chrome lugs that look good. granted with 8 lug wheels that's 32 lug nuts at a couple bucks a piece it add up!

I had a thought this evening. Why not find some center caps that fit and weld on some cool bullet tops. I think we're dealing with 4.25 center and ~4ish height.

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

We have a 55 in the garage and once thought about trying some full moon caps but not sure they would work without a little deeper dish wheel.

To be honest I have grown to like the vintage muscle utilitarian look of the 8 lugs and the big rear snouts stickin out in the back.

You might even say they are a more manly lookin peice of vintage equipment than some of the cute ones:D....;)

12. tommyduncan

tommyduncan

I couldn't find anything that looked like it came from the 60's and I couldn't find any aftermarket wheels that I liked. I literally tripped over these 17"s off of a later model Dodge and thought they looked OK without the ugly plastic center cap. Maybe not HAMB appropriate but not many 8 lug options out there...
    [​IMG]
    I have since added a 1" spacer and the fit is much better.

I have all 4 stock stainless hubcaps but I don't want to buy 16.5" tires.
    2007 up Econoline wheels are 16",8x6.5 bolt pattern, the proper inner diameter for the caps to fit snug, and don't have the nubs that the later hubcaps fit over. Just drill holes for clips and they work great. Waiting for a set now...

13. J&K

J&K

The spacer idea is brilliant, I hadn't thought of that. Our tires are pretty snug as it is, but it would be worth looking in to. The caps almost fit. Maybe 10mm would be enough.

The raw look is growing on us. We're thinking all chrome lugs and new painted dust caps.

[​IMG]