Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Clutch and brake pedals in 37-41 willys coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cruizznn, Oct 27, 2013.

1. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

I have tried many places to find what people have used in their coupes for a clutch and brake pedal setup. Nobody seems to know. I figured there would be some stick shifts out there somewhere, but everyone says they use automatics. There is not a lot of room between the frame rail and the engine and was hoping someone had any suggestion on this. I have nothing and will need to start from scratch. Maybe due to the car I will have to fab the whole thing, but would at least like to find out if there are any pedal setups that could be used, or what others have done. I would rather stay off the firewall and keep it clean utilizing underfloor or frame space. There HAS to be some 4 speeds out there somewhere! SBC, ansen bell, muncie M22, original frame , uncut firewall. I will be removing the brake bracket welded on the frame there and still need to do the steering also which I suppose will be another thing to figure out, but may need those parts the same time as this. I wouldn't mind the original column but would have to adapt that to a vega box which I will probably use.maybe that is not feasible and may have to use one of the new straight columns they sell. any tips would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. joes1942

joes1942
    from new york

i used the orgininal brake pedal and clutch, and made my own syeering column out of stainless exhaust pipe

3. Raceful

Raceful
    from Fulton

1949-51 ford car uses clutch, brake, and m/c in one combo, that's what I use. Hope this helps you. Mike

4. rcrusher68

rcrusher68
    from Webster NY

I utilized a wildwood clutch and brake cylinders and attached them to a cross bar under the dash connected to the roll cage

5. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

I used parts from a Pete and jakes 32 Ford kit and made some of my own stuff. It's not all welded up yet but is very easy to push.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  6. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

One final picture from inside.

Attached Files:

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I ran a simular system in my 40 pickup, the weakest link in the system will be the stock pivot ball on the block, I went through a number of them. They start to twist out and they snap off. The other thing you might do, if you haven't done, is add some kind of brace from the outside of the brake MC bracket back to the frame as the pressure that you put on the MC is a lot and it will flex, lay underneath and have someone push on the pedal and you will see. But hea, it looks real good!

8. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

Thanks for the pics and things guys. I was looking at those pete and jake pedals and had talked to the fella out there about them. It would sure be nice to have a whole assortment of pedal assemblies that you could try this and that to see what would work with a little fabbing on them..no wonder everyone uses an automatic!! The pivot ball stud breaking used to happen to my buddy with his 65 chevy, but I can't remember if he ran a legbreaker clutch or not. Are there better stud balls to use than others? I'm sure a lot of that stuff is import now. What worries me is the geometry thing I have heard about on the bellcrank. Are there any of those that you would suggest starting with as far as size, etc..I have couple of old ones but they differ quite a bit in size. Some of the new ones are kind of pricey too.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  9. joes1942

joes1942
    from new york

i don't use stud ball,i made a shaft that the brake and clutch pedals both pivots,but when clutch pedal is pushed it move end of shaft that is inline with the back of clutch fork with a tab welded on end of shaft, then a theaded shaft that goes between back of fork and tab on end of shaft, so you are pulling from back,not pushing from front,works great