Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Corvette M/SP Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Baron, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After spending the last two days sanding door jams and going over the body for spots I missed, I decided to take a break from the body work and start fitting the roll bar. There is very little room in these cars, and everything is going to be a tight fit. The cross bar is just tacked in place to see where I was at. Needs to come up a couple of inches, but should work out fine. The back bars are going to be interesting as they will pass through the conv top cover, and once they are in, the cover (along with the gas tank and sending unit) will no longer will be readily accessible. Not sure if I am going to install the new stock tank, or go with a fuel cell in the trunk,but leaning towards the stock tank so I ‘ll have room for luggage in the trunk. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron the rake looks good and looks like it will clear the hardtop. When I set my bar I had a seat in the car with my helmet on and I had my upholsterer make a cushion for the bar in case the helmet hits the bar. As you know these cars are a bit stingy on room. I am sure you probably considered removable connectors which is a consideration if you are going to remove the bars for any reason (such as getting to the stock gas tank etc). Looking good.-Jim

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    els likes this.
  3. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

4. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

Hi Baron,
    I haven't been on HAMB for a while so I was checking out Vettes and saw yours. It looks like its coming along very nice. I attached a picture of mine, we worked all winter converting it to run AA/GS this year. I'm going to keep an eye on your progress now that I see you have started it.
    Good luck

Attached Files:

els, Baron and Rat Sass like this.
  5. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Bob. Your Corvette is my absolute favorite. And now with the blown-injected BB , it's even more over the top. Thanks for the new desktop picture for my computer . If that doesn't inspire me, nothing will. :D

els and Rat Sass like this.
  6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fabricated the lower mounts for the main hoop today, raised the cross bar and angled it up a few degrees and started fitting the rear bars. This is a lot more fun than sanding bondo ... :)
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  7. vetrod62

vetrod62

Looking good. The big question is how to get through the soft top cover????? What is you your plan? Do not forget shoulder strap attachment points. Earlier I saw a question of new tank or fuel cell. I would, and have done the new tank and all hoses. Then I will worry about the tank and hoses 50 years from now when I am 110 + years old. :D

els likes this.
  8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Jim. I am still deciding on how I am going to do it. Most likely, the back bars will pass through a couple holes in the cover(like yours) , and the cover will become inoperable. I thought about making the bar a "bolt in" in, but that still does not solve the cover issue. I decided to go with the stock tank ( I have a new one) and I too , will be well over 100, so the grandchildren will have to worry about that .

els likes this.
  9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Baron,

What do you have for a tube bender and notcher? i have been looking at some and not sure what to get or just pay to have it done.

jp

els likes this.
  11. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

if you want to do something early 70s for paint try tawny gold matalic (see my avatar ) its an old mopar color but I believe Chevy offered something similar also the color is amazing so many people love it

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have Joint Jigger Tubing Notcher , Model RTN100 . This works great. I use to use a Lowbuck tubing notcher, but the joint jigger does a far better job/fit. I have a Hossfeld Bender, but it is stored away as I really don’t have space for it in my shop (and it is only used occasionally ) . Most of the roll bars ( and cages) I install come from S & W Racecars (been using their stuff for over 20 years). If I need to bend anything ( I have to put a couple of slight bends in the rear tubes for the 57), I have a couple of friends close by that have benders set up in their shops, so that gets me by.

els likes this.
  13. Everything is looking good, Very nice work, love this vette!!!!

14. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After a week off for vacation, finally back on the Corvette again. Steve bent the two rear tubes for me this morning. I fit everything this afternoon, and everything fit together as planned. I'll get back on finishing the body work now and get some primer on this before I weld the bars in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  15. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

That is coming along very nicely.

jp

els likes this.
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Glad to see you're back on the Vette! Been anxiously waiting for updates!

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Just a suggestion on the convertible top cover.How about cut out the cover where the tube goes through and forward towards the interior then take that piece and neatly place it back with flush Dzus fastener so it looks closed in.
    Buy a spare without holes place in the attic with a note on it for future generations.

Pat

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Almost a month now Baron! Anything happening on the Vette?

19. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Exactly what my wife wants in the garage for HER to drive,,,,,

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been at a standstill for a few weeks. The 49 Olds needed a little attention as did the 55 Chevy and the 47 COE now that spring is here. Too many cars and too little time. The Corvette will be in primer in the next two weeks. I was a little surprised at the price of the gallon of DuPont Lacquer primer ($175.00) I bought today, but the one place you can't scrimp is on paint and materials. I learned along time ago, do it once and do it right.

els and Rat Sass like this.
  21. richie rebel

richie rebel

this was my 57

Attached Files:

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I applaud your choice of material!

23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since the HAMB was down, I had nothing to do, so I finally got the 57 up to the spray booth for a little priming action.

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      466.8 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      446.7 KB
      Views:
    • 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      433.6 KB
      Views:
    els likes this.
  24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

CameraZOOM-20131130171121744.jpg 20130518_191810 (1).jpg 20130518_191810 (1).jpg 20130518_191810 (1).jpg 20130518_191810 (1).jpg Looking great! I posted a pic of my 56 early in your thread here is the progress on it.

els likes this.
  26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The HAMB was down? ;) Been busy gutting and remodeling the wife's kitchen, so not much car fun for me!

27. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looks good Baron

els likes this.
  28. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

I built one of those cars. Drove it for 11 years and had a ball.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    els likes this.
  29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that summer is over, time to get back to work on the Corvette. After seeing Bob's Corvette (Crazy Grampa) at the Hot Rod Reunion, I decided to go back to my first plan and put a straight axle in my car. I figured this will probably be the last 57 Corvette I'll build, so I better do it exactly as I want it.
    Bill at WAC Customs/ BCCHOPIT , is making my axle for me. My springs and shackles/ mounts arrived this week, along with my steering arms, steering box, etc. So today I removed the front end ,fabricated the front shackle mounts and have them bolted in place . Once I get the axle, I'll decide how I want to mount my rear spring hangers. I may have to raise them into the frame to get the ride height where want it, but once I get all the rest of my parts, I'll have a better idea.
    Front springs mock up.jpg Stock front end with spacers.jpg

els and brut4s like this.
  30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Going under the springs or over the springs with the axle? If the height is an issue, you might go one way or the other to get it. Or set the mounts on the outside of the rails if you want it lower yet.