Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 36 Hours in Detroit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 14, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey Yo Joey... Next time you need a press pass for anything, you need to give me a holler. Typically, if I act like an entitled drunk I can get a press pass to anything - including fashion week.

3. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

I'd choose the '39 Ford with the Nash grille.

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I really want to go next year. I haven't been there in so long and I have so many good memories from that place. I love Detroit. The Autorama is like the superbowl...

5. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Great summary of a great weekend. Whether your in the basement, the main floor or just wandering the streets looking for Greek pizza or ribs, Autorama weekend in Detroit is simply splendid.
    A big "Thank You" to Dennis Scott and his new sidekick Tom for doing a great job in the basement.

Attached Files:

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks for the photos Joey... I need to get to Detroit one of these years.

Hands down, I'd choose the Dave Lane built, Poteet owned, injected nailhead powered orange 3-window. Love that car!

Malcolm

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good story and nice photos, thanks for sharing with us.

8. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

I'd take the 33 three window in bare metal.

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

The 39 Chevy turned 3 window is from a local builder, Jason Graham (59elky)

I dig it.

[​IMG]

10. A Boner

A Boner

George Poteet's coupe. George knows hot rods.

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

I can't make a decision,I like several.That being said,great story and great pics.Young Ukrop is a great addition to our cult...er...community ;)

12. A number of us here on the HAMB were with owner/restorer Roddy Moore from Ferrum, VA showing that car. He's a kindred spirit. Also the restorer of the Bob Bateman coupe (first HRM cover car from VA.) and an Alexander Bros. restored '49 done by the same shop as the featured '39 Slick Patterson car.

13. hoodprop

hoodprop

I got to talk with the owners of that Corvette. Such a great car with great history. Nice coverage.

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/99116801@N07/13149371115/" title="TJJFashionWeek by j.ukrop, on Flickr">[​IMG]</a>

Will do...and I can see it now. Milan anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. Eric H

Eric H

This was my upstairs choice for sure. like most most cars it has to be seen in real life.

16. Jake H.

Jake H.

That black '34 3W with Americans and the "I'll slash your throat" chop!

It's the right color, and is a perfect specimen of mid-to-late Sixties badassery.

I even love the too-high-in-front stance, and the wide tires sticking out of the rear fenders. So wrong that it's just right!

17. Dodge Brother

Dodge Brother

OH!!! Man!!!! Beautiful cars, any more pics of the F-1 with the quad headlight?

18. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Mr. Ukrop,
    My compliments on a well written article. I like your reading your stuff.

There were a few cars that really stood out for me that I would love to own.
    That '39 Chevy.... damn, that was beautiful.
    The Rolling Bones bare steel 33/34. It looked badass and sinister.
    The Brothers Custom 33/34 in grey. Loved it.
    The copper color Model A with the huge engine sitting right next to the '39 Chevy. Bad ass.
    The pair of chopped, channelled black Model A's in the basement, one running a Flathead, the other running a Cadillac. Fantastic.

I'll have to post photos when I can resize them.

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Tony Lombardi's Blown Olds Coupe&#8230;. Hands down Killer&#8230;. But I am biased&#8230; And I don't give a shit.

20. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

It looks like there were a lot of amazing cars. I can't really decide which car I would want to take home. Can I trade in my car pick and for the 2 motorcycles from this post?

21. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Nice article and pics, sir. I see a future in the automotive journalism world. Enjoy CoMo....best J-school in the world. Older son was graduate in 2006.

22. autobilly

autobilly

I'm with you Joey, that Roadster is a beautiful thing.

23. The bar has been raised to new traditional levels. Almost like taking a trip back in time, for cryin' out loud. :D

Tony's blown Rocket powered Model A, gets my vote, but I am biased, as well. Also in the way cool catagory, was our close friend, Slick Mikey Jacox's '57 Ford 2dr wagon, from right here in the sunshine state. Crazy sumbitch rolled that longroof all the way from So-Flo, to Motor City. Wonder what the long distance "driven" award would have went to???:confused:

Me, Ramblur n Nads just went to Amelia Island Concours', last weekend, and same thing...no way to pick just one.

JT

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I didn't get a picture of it, but that smooth and subtle 56 Lincoln downstairs built by Brothers Customs would be my choice. Long, low and painfully smooth, looks like a million bucks.

That said, the A upstairs built by Bobby Hilton with the blown Olds is a very close second.

The gold Ford F1 downstairs with the scallops and the 56 Olds headlights was a badass truck too.

Good stuff as always

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

Not a hard choice for me,.... I fell in love with this 33' with a 34 hood and grill 42 years ago when I first seen it,.... John has driven it a lot in the Metro Detroit area over those years,... Prior to that it was originally built by another buddy Dwight back in the 50's..

Were there better or more valuable cars there ?.... You know it...But given the choice, This is what would have come home with me....
    [​IMG]

26. Slick Patterson '39 Convertible

This '32 looks like the one featured in HOT ROD during '55-'56. Anybody have more photos?
    [​IMG]

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well&#8230;.Ok&#8230;..Tommy Foster's Caddy powered roadster would be another fav&#8230;.that gow job is righteous.

28. catdad49

catdad49

Joey, thanks again for a great post. If you can do things like this for a living, you'll never go hungry!! Too many choices for me to pick one, but if there's a stray dog (no dogs in this bunch) around, it will surely follow me home. Just ask my Mom!!

29. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

This was my first time at Detroit, i loved every second of it and I will be going back every year now! Tons of cars that I would have loved to take home but like a few of you, this one is my pick. This thing is just killer cool!

IMG_0818.jpg

As for John's T copper, this car hits close to home for me, it was built here in Milwaukee by CheaterCarl. I watched the car go together from start to finish. Iam glad to see its in good hands with John Wells

30. Leadsled52

Leadsled52

Here's one , it belongs to my long time friend Cody. I did the finish body work on the fenders. He cut the windshield , and painted the hood at my shop the week before the show.I need to take pics of the back, because the tailgate is chrome, I sent a ton of stuff to the chrome shop for him for this truck

Attached Files: