Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Torchie

Torchie

I agree on the use of the spears cabong.
    My first thought when you posted the question went back to a car that I owned back in the 70's.
    It made nice use of some spears on the quarters as well as the hood area.
    Keep it going. Can't wait to see some color.
    Torchie.

Attached Files:

• rkho.jpg
      rkho.jpg
      File size:
      90.6 KB
      Views:
    chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. cabong

cabong

That's her!!! the farmer said when he found his bull.......I like the look of that Vicky scoop. I like '52 Chev spears, but they are a bit short, bulky, and the bottom is wavy. I'm anxiously waiting for Dave to do another photoshop inthe cobalt color, but with the Olds side trim as well as the Merc style spears. Then, I want to see how it will lok with a perforated metal (chromed) insert in the scoop, and 3 skinny spears on the buldge. I'm leaning to the Mercs.
    Thanks for all the pics and suggestions, and once we have a little more info, I will pass the ideas to Leland and Gene for their stamp of approval.
    Hopefully I will have an update on progress later today....God willing and the proverbial creek don't rise (lot's of rain).
    After a bit of a delay, I am meeting with Leland's daughter to go storage diving, for pictures. Barring any major fupahs, there should be pics going back to when this puppy was born......

3. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Cabong, the '52 teeth were trimmed down so they would be flat.Car Craft mag Feb. 1958 did a 10 page article called toothy trim, alots of great pictures and ideas. You can always find the mag on Ebay for sale!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Hi,

cabong had asked me to tweak that crude image I did of the car in cobalt blue by adding a couple more trim pieces to aid in the visualization of the final look. So, here goes.. :eek:

This one has the sombreros, altitude adjustment, Olds trim and spears in the scoop:
    [​IMG]

This one has the above alterations, but has the spears added to the "hump" on the lower quarter:
    [​IMG]

Hope these help!

-Dave

5. cabong

cabong

Holy cow Dave, You are the man!!!!!!!!! Great stuff!!!!!

6. briarpatch27

briarpatch27

Dave - Ditto what Bruce says. How many times have we wished we could see what a proposed mod would look like. Great work!

7. skoh73

skoh73

I was all for the spears in the scoop opening, but now that I see it, I think I like them more down low. Seems to add a touch of balance. Just my 2 cents, and worth every penny. Keep up the great work fellas!

8. Yup, the spears down low just looks right with the olds trim piece above it..

9. Thanks guys! While doing those pics I first thought the spears just flat belonged in the scoop, but I have to agree with the others after seeing them on the lower panel tied in with the Olds trim.. It looks right. Who knew (besides the ones working on it - right)?

I wonder now, with all the chrome on the hind end if some small spears in the scoop might not be a bad idea for some balance.. :D

Such a cool project!

-Dave

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

How about a photoshop with the trim, but no spears anywhere, just to see it. I think less is more, and I like the Olds trim, but not sure it isn't getting too busy with both trim and spears.

11. Great project!

How about a full length spear running from center of scoop just behind the door to front fender kind of like the 50 Chevy had? Would it help to give more proportion to the body versus the short windshield or would it be too busy?

12. The idea with the Olds rear fender trim, mesh in the scoop and the teeth below the scoop is the best by far. The teeth below the scoop is genius! Teeth above the scoop is what we expect to see. Like someone singing Elvis songs in a sequined jumpsuit. The teeth below the scoop is a nice surprise, just like Gene used to do with his best customs. Remember LeRoy Goulart's partially Winfield-built '51 Ford, and the cowl and one piece windshield from a '52 Ford that he used? That's what I'm talking about.

I'd extend this imagination to the wheelcovers as well. Dave, I'm not good at Photoshop, is there any way you could do this same image (Olds rear fender trim, mesh in the scoop and the teeth below the scoop) AND switch out the Cadillac wheelcovers for 1955 Pontiac units? I'd love to see that!

13. cabong

cabong

Hey Justin from Trend Books....great to hear from you, and glad that you agree on the teeth. Good call on the Pontiac hubcaps, but I'll have to pass that by Leland before I can even think about it, He has always been a fan of sombrero and had a set on the cruz'n convert at one time. Sometimes the uncommon is really the koolest. One of my very old (both ways) and very good friends had a '59 Impala, mild custom. Very low and very red. He slapped on a set of '57 Olds, non-flipper caps, and the lowster could not possibly have looked better.
    Dave, hello Dave, are you out there???????

14. racer_dave

racer_dave

Lower spears are way better.

15. Howz the painting coming along? We all wants to see it!! :D:D

-Dave

p.s. I'm stopping with the photoshop for a while as we don't want to get too far from the custom Gene and Leland always wanted (I just couldn't wait to see it in real paint so I coloured it :eek:)..

16. mock up with a picture
    flip the front bumper over
    the trailing edge will aligin with the headlights the chin will also flow under rather than out

17. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

We used to chop em together back in the desert

18. cabong

cabong

Okay, finish bodywork has begun. I will post some pics in the next few days. I don't want to bug Travis too much. As too the front bumper, we looked at flipping it, but that just wasn't done then, and we're trying to keep within the era. Leland agrees that it would be nice to add some spears to give the "hump" a reason, so upon paint, we will decide. Also, Gene will be here (hopefully) to help with the pick of location and size.

19. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

this build is cool!
    been following it for a while now...
    just an opinion, but I thought there was too much open metal between the top of the wheel well and the top of the fender.
    I did a quick photo chop with adding a some chrome trim to the fender and door to break it up and pull the front back down (visually)... see what you think:

Attached Files:

20. I think this is exactly what it needs.

Mick

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have to agree.

22. isaac's mouse

isaac's mouse
    from Omaha

was looking back on this site and the comments about gene winfield...a truly class act ...anyway he was chopping a top on a ford a year ago at our world of wheels show in omaha ..i walked up to his area and motioned him over, we talked briefly, he's 20+ years older than me...i have low back problems...i asked him about his back and does he keep working like this...he said his back bothers him from time to time..but...he said his lifestyle is what helps...he told me he doesn't smoke, doesn't drink alcohol, and doesn't drink coffee !!!!! a friend of mine who went him to a local dance club after the show closed that nite said he danced all nite until close with all age groups of ladies there !!!!!!!! also had the good fortune to meet ed roth before he passed...great guy!!

23. Squablow

Squablow

This is exactly what I had pictured and it looks great this way, that little piece to break up the fender and door really makes a huge difference.

24. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

a Packard spear would look appealing!

25. Flipping the bumper would require reworking the valance and as stated wasn't an era style modification . A simple solution to the bumper end issue would be to cut the bumper ends off and reweld them on the opposite side . This would leave everything in the grille area untouched , would solve the bumper end angle issue and should only take an hour or two to do. The plater could solve the rest

26. cabong

cabong

Let the fun begin......Travis is longboarding the current paint/sealer as far as possible. Then he will reseal, heavy prime, and reblock. It's actually pretty straight, however the trip through the garage door did it no favors.

[​IMG]

The major bodywork has been done, and now it's on to prime, block, prime, block, etc. I now need to call Gene for his schedule. I really hope that he can work it in to squirt this puppy.

[​IMG]

27. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

He was here in Detroit for Autorama last weekend & in Ann Arbor teaching a class at the Comm Coll all week.

Looking good Cabong.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Hats off to Travis, that's a lot of hand work.

29. customfc

customfc

I have only recently read this thread and have to say that it has been the most enjoyable read. I think that all your decisions have been spot on. I read your pondering about direction of different aspects and have always been relieved that you went the way you did, except for perhaps colour choice. I would have gone with a redder purple, but I will reserve my opinion until I see what it looks like after paint. As for the spear placement, I strongly believe the lower location is the way to go. That body line matches the headlight/grill shape and accenting that works for me. Look forward to the next post. Leland, I love that you have held onto your custom all these years, I too have my first car and love the history we have together.
    Regards
    Alex