Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hair pins on solid front axel ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintcan54, Mar 14, 2014.

1. paintcan54

paintcan54

Looked all over for a answer this question, thought I seen something on this before but can not find it.

Looking at a roadster and the front axel is a solid drop with hair pins? I have built a few rides with both tube and solid axels, always was told "hair pins on tube, and split bones on solid" and this is what I have done.

My question is how does this effect the handling if hair pins are on solid, as this is how a car is done that I'm looking at. Some say it bad and some say it doesn't matter. What do you think!!!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There was a good bitch fest on this a couple months ago.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Hairpins have been used on I-beam axles since they invented hairpins.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always thought it was four bar on a tube and hairpins or bones on an I beam from what I had been reading from those who expound theories on such things.

5. paintcan54

paintcan54

I thought there was but could not find it !

6. paintcan54

paintcan54

pasadenahotrod, I'm old school and old and was always told "never mix the two" pins on tube and bones on I beam.

Mr48chevy, some people say it doesn't make any difference. But!!

7. Fogger

Fogger

Reread Mr48chev's post above. His statement describes the accepted usage of the two most common front axle positioning control designs. Also continue to search for the many previous post on this topic.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

9. Larry T

Larry T

The geometry on hairpins and split bones would be the same, wouldn't they? Only difference would be flex and I'd hope neither flexed enough that you could tell it.

Geometry on a 4 link is completely different and works better with an axle without any flex (like a tube axle).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  10. Hairpins will work just fine on an I-beam axle.

11. paintcan54

paintcan54

Thanks tfeverfred, thanks to everybody for their response.

12. David Chandler

David Chandler

When I was a kid, my cousin had hairpins with a dropped Ford axle. His had a plate welded into the opening and large diameter holes in the plate. As far as I can figure it out it would probably be equal to split bones. That was back in the 60's but he owned that car for quite some time before that. He didn't have any issues with it, that I recall. Also they were chrome plated, so they may not have been a home built item?

13. Actually the general concensus here is no hairpins on a tube axle, but no one has ever backing it up with real world application.

Anyway you can run hairpins on either just fine.

14. Not this again!

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The theory is that hairpins can twist the axle if one end of the axle is up and the other end down. An I beam axle is flexible enough to bend but a tubular axle is not. That is the theory, I think there have been tubular axle cars built with hairpins that did not suffer fatigue cracks or failure.

16. .....The debate continues but, this is what I've always been told and read.

17. Yeah, over 500 Kurtis Kraft midgets were built with tube axles and hairpins. They ran on some pretty rough dirt tracks and the only axles that broke were the ones that went through a fence! The KK axle and hair pins under the car in my avatar ran at El Mirage, 100's of passes on 1/4 and 1/2 mile drag strips, and thousands of miles on the street. It's still under the car, and it's still in one piece. But what the hell do I know??:rolleyes:

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Obvious "Deathtraps !!!!!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE LIST IS ENDLESS !!!!!!............. Save them !.... Don't let them drive these cars !!!....... There all going to DIE !!!! :eek::eek::eek: :cool::D