Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the worst thing you ran over with a Hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, Apr 23, 2013.

1. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

buddy of mine and i were driving in his car, he had just painted it, nice and clean underneath then hit a paint can that someone left in the middle of the road. The can was unopened until his cross member got ahold of it. Ended up with white paint all over his nice black underside, tires and a little on the body. Luckily it was latex and most of it came off, but the inside of the tires did have to get a couple of sprays with some black paint. It also left a huge paint stain in the road for years, i was actually sad when the repaved over it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

2. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

A semi round piece of steel about 2 inches long, wiped out a brand new tire with less than 100 miles on it.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

When I was in high school it got to be a thing to put a concrete block under an cardboard box at the edge of the road.

4. indianhead74

indianhead74

My kids eyeglasses, She'd set them on the decklid to do something just when I decided to move the car. Killed 'em dead. Luckily we were poor and bought them at Wal-Mart. I brought in the remains and they replaced em. I really appreciated that

5. My brain must have blocked this out when I posted the Coyote story, I've ran over myself twice! Both occurred in my late teens/ early twenties......hopefully I'm smarter than that now! The first time was with my daily driver '68 Camaro, it had a worn out, hand me down Hurst shifter in it that had this bad habit of occasionally trying to go into 1st and reverse at the same time when downshifting and jamming up. Usually, a firm pull back down to second or a little jiggling would free it back up, but not this day! I was turning into my driveway and downshifting as I did, it actually WENT into first and reverse this time (probably because I was moving so slow), I got quite a surprise when I let the clutch out! The car came to a screeching halt about 3/4 into the driveway and refused to budge! I got my trusty 9/16" - 1/2" combination wrench I carried for just such emergencies out of the console, and proceeded to slide under the car (I weighed all of a 125# then, so no jack was required Them days are gone forever!). I reached up with my trusty wrench and popped the reverse arm backh to the neutral position, the for reasons I will NEVER be able to explain, I repeated for first gear. The car immediately starts rolling back down the slightly sloped driveway into the street! I didn't have time to slide out of that very limited space, so I just grabbed on and slid with it till it got half out into the street, where the curb edge gave me enough room to scramble out! This occurred in July in San Antonio, Tx in about 100 degree heat. The car had a black vinyl interior and non-functioning A/C, so my t-shirt was it's usual spot pulled over the back of the seat to keep my skin from permanently fusing to the seat, leaving nothing between my back and the driveway! It could have been so much worse, but I didn't think so the next 2-3 weeks I was waiting for the outer coupe layers of skin to grow back on the top third of my back! The second wasn't nearly so bad, it was 3 or 4 years later and I had just acquired a '69 427 (390 horse), 4 speed Stingray (it was a beater, and it cost me everything I had and then some!), and I was cruising SW Military Drive on a Friday night right after I bought the car, and for reasons I don't remember, it ceased running. I jumped out, started pushing on the open door with one hand while steering it up onto the center divider with the other, and as it climbed up onto the divider (it was only 1" -2" tall, I stumbled on the edge and the rear tire preceded to grind my flip flop clad foot into the gravel as it rolled over it! Ever dig imbedded gravel out of your hide? If you have, you know it is NOT fun!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Ga55er

Ga55er
    from Texas

Not me but a guy hit a bull out in East Texas on his way to Pistons and Paint 2012. You could still the literal bullshit on the car after he trailerd it in.
    [​IMG]

7. Runnin about a buck ten in a highboy roadster, hit a "Fresh cow pattie" , ducked real quick, the splatter missed me, but took about 20 miles for the smell 2 go away.
    Hit a quickie car wash in the next town and kept on goin.

8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My foot -

had some exhaust and electrical work done - many years ago and trailered it. Was standing next to it to steer it as we pushed it slowly off the trailer slowly and as it rolled down the ramp I stepped off the trailer to continue to steer it ( tight quarters) and the ramp let go and the car rolled over my foot.

Black, blue , green and purple foot for 2 weeks.

Lucky it wasn't worse but to this day that foot is not the same and painful at times.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. iarodder

iarodder

I was coming home on the interstate from Des Moines car night at Porky's in my pro street 53 truck and was behind a semi, even though I was back by 4-5 car lengths it wasn't enough time to react. His semi was high enough from the ground to clear the deer carcas that was freshly splattered on the pavement, mine on the other hand was not high enough and proceeded to roll it right under my truck, thought it was o.k. till it hit the 18.5 inch wide Mickey Thompsons and that was not a fun ride. I proceeded to pick deer meat and fur out from the bottom of the truck for a few weeks, that crap really gets to stinkin in July!

10. racer_dave

racer_dave

In a lowered Impala, at dusk saw a big a$$ possum in the road swerved and thought I missed it. Smelled something funny for the last 10 minutes of the ride home. Got home, went up to the front and peeked under the car. Hadn't missed him. The car was so low, the skull couldn't clear the crossmember, pinned and drug him that last 10 miles home. Meat splattered all under the car, head (eyes open) staring back at me from the crossmember. YUK.

11. D-man313

D-man313

My own horn.

I have a set of military deuce air horns on my truck, hanging behind the grill. They're fun to play with. So I'm driving down the road, and hit the horn button and it's a real high pitch squeal. Thought huh that's weird, hit it again and one of the trumpets fell out of the housing and hit the ground. It hit the front crossmember, trans member, bottom of cab, and the rear end on the way out the back.

So I pull a u-turn in a driveway, pull up to the trumpet laying in the road, use the truck to block me, jump out grab it and head home.

Get home and it's all dented, scuffed and full of road rash. Straighten it out and hook it back up and now I check them periodically.

12. sadsack

sadsack

pepsi bottle flew up and hit the gas tank of my 54 cevy,next morning I was out of gaspatched with metal putty never leaked again.

sadsack

13. Clutch Face

Clutch Face
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oak tree. Never made it over it.
    It wasn't in the road, and neither was I at impact point.

14. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I was on Skyline in Daly City CA in my OT, very low daily from Japan in the fog at night and I see this skunk just as he goes under the car. I heard him hit every rib in the floor pan and I figure he's toast. I glance in the rear view to see the gore and he's crouched down with his ass in the air spraying my car. This all happened in a couple of seconds and I was left with some respect for the thing. He won the fight. That car was rough to breath in at stop lights for a couple of weeks. He got the whole underside and a stripe up the back.

I watched my step dad run over an aggressive medium sized dog with a bicycle once.

15. Found this on the net, bet that thrashed and crashed for a while. I got off the road and into some cattails once. Got pulled out and started down the road, cat tail wrapped around the drive shaft really made a racket on the floor pan.

Attached Files:

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have already posted several on this thread, but driving nothing but hot rods all my life has given me tons of opportunity to run over things with them!

The one that have not here to fore admitted to, is that I ran over one of "Endlessearth's" NOS BLC headlight rings on his old '29 roadster I was entrusted to work on. See, I had been painting a bunch of stuff, including these brand new headlight rings, and had set them back on the headlights, but not screwed them back on while they dried.

See, a couple of days later I had a revelation early in the morning as to why the twin 94s had a giant flat spot right off idle, made the adjustment, pulled the car out of the yard and happily took off down 3rd street to see if I was right. After a two mile loop, I pulled back into the drive way happy with my ministrations, and was down right giddy when I passed the front of the car to see no headlight rings... Shit!

So I jumped back in the car and retraced my steps and even said a little prayer, and within a block or two found one. I kept going and kept trolling 3rd street for an hour or so with no luck looking for the second. Instant bad mood! I tried several times throughout the day, but as rush hour came and the street became it's nightly four lane race course, all hope was gone. After dinner, Judy and her friend that was staying with us started telling me that the floor was wet and the kitchen smelled bad - "You go rook now"! What I found was the two year old pipes under the sink were already soft and leaking, and Home Depot was closing in a half hour... Jump in the girlfriends car and bolt! Left on third street, head north fast! Wait, what was that solid thump that just hit the bottom of the car? Why, it's a BLC headlight ring! Crap, now it's flat!!!

Got home, repaired the plumbing, and instead of listening to the high volume Chinese rant about me swearing as I worked on the plumbing - I retired to the shop and tinked on the headlight ring for most of the night. Fixed it too!

17. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Several. I lost my brakes at the Lake of the Ozarks driving down a lake side road which intersects with the main highway. I saw a break in traffic and punched it to get on the highway. Thank God for ladder bars. I found an empty hotel parking lot (the cars were at the cruise night). I down shifted and hit a curb. I ended up sleeping in the car that night. The rear brake lined was pinched off and I made it home.

I vaporized a squirrel in Oklahoma in the rain heading to the StrayKat 500 one year.

18. DUSTY13

DUSTY13

My budget

raven likes this.
  19. stimpy

stimpy

not with the hot rod but the PU on the way to look at the HR , had a squirrell play chicken with me down the street , he found out how low the air dam is on the front of the truck , heard him bounce off the oil pan , hit one of the exhaust pipes, driveshaft and hit the rear axle and then bounced out the rear of the truck , I looked back and he was standing upright shaking it off and looked like he was flipping me off ... ( crawled under the truck and you can see a clean streak on the oil pan , red fur on the center support bearing and balance weights and front of the axle housing .. the kicker is the truck is stock height except for the air dam out front

20. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

nochop likes this.
  21. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

Dumb ass person :(

22. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

23. raven

raven

Myself... more than twice
    Oh and Porknbeaner a couple of times.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

David Gersic likes this.
  24. My buddy and I were heading to a town thirty miles south to attend a party in his lowered 50 GMC. While in a long sweeping turn on the highway at about 70 mph, he hit a skunk.
    It ruined the skunk's day and ours. Everything stunk to the point that we were both nauseated by the odour. We couldn't attend the party, and even after numerous washings, the truck stunk for weeks.
    Bob

25. goldmountain

goldmountain

Hit a curb with my rocker panel while following a friend. Couldn't see it through my chopped top going through a back alley. To add insult to injury, I later bought the house where it happened so I was constantly reminded of it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. topher5150

topher5150

I was coming home late one night, back when home was still in the boondocks, I see two little eyes on the side of the road, and by the time I could think to react it was to late. The next morning my mom asks me what I hit, I tell her that I hit a opossum. She seemed a little shocked because with all the blood splattered along the side of the car and in the wheels she thought that I killed someone.

27. Ran over my own shoulder one day while I was loading up my 1931 Dodge coupe to take it from my ex-wife's home. My "friends" and she were all standing around and not helping when it got away from me and rolled down the driveway....over ME.... my first coupe.jpg post-37352-143142146836.jpg

weps and carlos like this.
  28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I ran over the turbine wheel at about the 2 and 1/2 once. Made a lot of noise on the way out. And a lot of smoke. Some dents in the exhaust tube. Good thing Gary had brought his spare turbos along.

vtx1800 likes this.
  29. Stooge

Stooge

a medium sized turtle while driving a 64 impala, a front wheel *Crunch* followed by a "smoosh" from the rear wheel. Could feel it through the car so it kind of gave me the creeps!

30. 66Special

66Special

On the way to Louisville a couple of years ago my cousins head light on his fenderless A coupe rattled out of the bucket and got sucked under the rear tire. We spent the rest of the day battling a flat tire