Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Number 20--special quarter midget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnc451, Feb 1, 2014.

1. johnc451

johnc451

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing shots of this quarter midget. If you grew up in the fifties and lived and breathed cars as did my friends and I, you may have seen this on Long Island. It was raced weekly with the Nassau Quarter midget Association and driven VERY competitively by my friend John Howe.

In the early fifties, quarter midgets were very popular in Nassau County where I lived. John’s Dad, Harlan Howe decided to build a car for John and it was along the lines of what was sold out there but it had some special touches. It was rear engined but instead of the usual Continental 4 cycle it had a 2 stroke Sprite engine from a para-troopers motor bike and it could scream. Harlan played with the ports and pipes and jetting to tweak every bit of its potential. It was sleek, fiberglass- bodied, tube framed and cool beyond a ten-year old’s wildest dreams. Almost as soon as it was sorted, Harlan began another. He knew what to improve and he had the extraordinary skills to do it. He was an electrician/gunsmith/machinist-master of any tool I ever saw in his home. He made custom rifles, restored old sports cars, made ANY parts he needed and kept us all spellbound with his patient instruction and willingness to repair anything we broke.

I watched as the tubing arrived and was skillfully bent and brazed/welded into a frame. Suspension points were added, plates for bearings and shafts, backing plates fabbed for hydraulic brakes, pedals formed, firewalls shaped etc. etc. He created a mold and plaster and screen held it together as he layed up a glass body—remember, this was still a black art at the time and Corvettes had just come on the scene. Sanding, shaping —gradually we began to see what he had in mind and we were without words. Being peripherally involved with the construction of this car—known simply as “number 20” was more influential than I would ever imagine. His influence, along with my Hot Rod older brothers set me on a path I still follow at age 68.

Details of the car:
    Shape is reminicent of a Ferrari Gran Prix car
    Front engine-rear wheel drive
    Vespa Scooter engine—case modified to accept a drive sprocket
    Integral 3 speed trans
    Chain drive down the side to the rear.
    Drive wheel can be switched by swapping key and hub from side to side.
    Fiat steering box offset for leg room and chain driven from steering wheel shaft (changeable ratios). Hand-made steering wheel with gunstock wood inlayed
    Buick master for rear hydraulic brakes
    Independent front end-cross leaf spring with tension adjustment from side to side.
    Milled wheel hub covers and matching gas cap
    Nerfs to prevent wheel contact

I was able to squeeze into it once when I was about 11 or so. I was graciously allowed to take a few laps around the Sunday parking lot track and to say I was thrilled was an understatement. All that came back to me a hundred-fold about twenty years later when John decided to move his successful Porsche repair business to California. Knowing I had two kids, he offered the long idle racer to me. I was on my way to pick it up in a matter of minutes! It was as last raced and took some engine work to come back to life. I sent the engine to Scooterworks, a repair facility in Chicago, for honing and new rings. They called when it arrived to say they had never seen a piston so beautifully modified with special reliefs added for heat expansion. (I could almost hear Harlan laughing in the background.)

There is no venue for this car in Dutchess County where I raised my kids. We ran it in parking lots when they were empty. The kids grew quickly as they do---but now there is a crop of Grandkids who will soon be introduced to Number 20. My instinct in the ‘80s was to restore it with fresh paint etc. I resisted. It still looks exactly as it did the last time John roared around the track passing the other racers with the two-stroke scream as he went. It could easily be done over to look museum-like and pristine. But each time I look at it and think of the fun it will bring the next round of little drivers, it reminds me of a simpler time, a great time, and of good friends, one with a fantastic father who understood kids and all things mechanical. It wears its scars and bruises proudly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. khead47

khead47

3. Ebert

Ebert

VERY cool!

4. casper

casper

Wow !! That is some serious talent. Please do not restore it, I think it is perfect.

5. Kume

Kume

That is beautiful - a great conglomeration of US & European parts - I wonder who the organ donor was that supplied the MG wheel and Smiths speedo. Hope it doesnt end up on the 'American Restoration" show and come out looking like a jukebox. :D

6. Wow.....you wrote this story so well I felt for a moment like I was
    there back in the day experiencing all the wide-eyed wonder a kid could muster. Must have been a fantastic experience, and the bonus is YOU ended up with the prize to share with your kids and grand kids.

I never got to be around these great little cars but I did have neighbors that raced stock cars which helped me contract the car-bug.

Thanks for the great day dream!

d

7. johnc451

johnc451

Thanks for all the great comments and messages. I WILL NOT be restoring the car---I love it as is and it will stay that way. The gauge is a chronometric tachometer, not a speedometer. However, I do recall one Sunday a friendly Nassau police officer who often watched the events, "practiced" his radar or electric timing device near the parking lot/track. After the majority of the kids left, John went around the perimeter of the huge lot (S Klein--West Hempstead). The officer tagged John at 72 mph. It had long legs for sure. I think John mostly used first and second on the short track.
    Harlan cut the steering wheel from an aluminium sheet and used his gunsmith skills to inlay the wood. The MG badge is from a key fob John had as there was a 49 MG TC in the family. Within a year, Harlan had to make the wheel quick detachable as growing legs prevented you from getting in and out easily.
    As for looking like a Jukebox some day---my family knows I will haunt them if it is not well cared for after my time. It is as much a part of my family now as it was a part of John's back then. Glad everyone is finding this interesting. John C.

8. Hey John,
    I remember you showing Us the race car when we were there.
    You did a great job teling the story to us and now a great job for all these guys!
    Love the car, love the respect. love the continuity.
    See you soon I hope!
    Tony

9. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Very, very cool!

Bart

10. racer_dave

racer_dave

very nice. My son races quarter midgets and I love seeing cars from so far back.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great car and story about its history. So rare to see something unrestored with a documented history to go with it. A car that should never be restored. Bob

12. so cool....thanks for sharing....and keeping these time machine's....

13. gas pumper

gas pumper

Thank you for posting this and sharing it with us all. Fantastic machine and history!!

14. george tibball

george tibball

Thanks, John for the update. My neighbor in Oceanside will love this since he has one--nowhere as nice as yours but still great!

Thanks, bud!

George T

15. johnc451

johnc451

John recently sent this old photo from 1958. Hope you can see it well. It is grainy--but if you remember Freeport..... john howe.JPG

16. johnc451

johnc451

And this shot is From Rhinebeck in May where it was showed with the ACOT display. Three folks who stopped by remember seeing John race in the 50's

Attached Files:

17. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Very well written post, I admire your talent with the written word. I am usually a guy who likes to restore old stuff, but, the car has a known and personally verified provenance and is presentable. Clean it, run it, enjoy it, nothing more is necessary.

18. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for giving us a few minutes in your Time Machine!

19. johnc451

johnc451

Thanks again for all the kind and interesting comments generated by this post. I do not possess a broad knowledge of the quarter midget scene on LI in the '50s-'60s but was a consistent attendee and crew member. It was a great time and a wonderful learning experience. It led me to go-karts then mini-bikes and a life long passion for Rods and Sports Cars. Still at it!!! Will continue to respond to all PMs/Conversations.

20. hurstman428

hurstman428

wow!!! I really enjoyed this!!!!

21. johnc451

johnc451

Wishing everyone who has PMed and commented on this post a great Christmas and New Year. I will probably show Number 20 again this year at Rhinebeck--spring and possibly at The Saratoga Auto Museum if is is on the ACOT calendar for next year. I will post if that is going to happen as we get closer to the spring----John

22. haychrishay

haychrishay

I don't know which I like better... the car or the history?

23. johnc451

johnc451

For all who have asked over the past few months, as soon as the weather breaks a bit and I can get a car or two out of the barn, I will uncover #20 and measure wheelbase, track, ride height and some other basic stats. Thanks for the continued interest. John

24. johnc451

johnc451

FYI---#20 will be at the Rhinebeck Antique Motorcycle show this Saturday, June 13 in one of the exhibition buildings. Stop by-------John

25. johnc451

johnc451

My friend John just graciously sent some photos he had in his files of Number 20 in action back when, and a shot or two during its build in his Parent's basement. I am keeping these with the rest of the records but thought I would share with you all.
    (He was always pretty cool under pressure!!!)

#20-1.jpg #20-2.jpg IMG_8619   #3.jpg IMG_8620 #4.jpg IMG_8621 #4.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  26. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

What an awesome story and car.