Register now to get rid of these ads!

"BAD NEWS" T, post all the pics you've got!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

[living the dream!!:D
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Verne

Verne
    from Burbank

I got a few PM's and E-mails, like I said it's been a few years and I haven't seen the show in awhile, although I do see the car alot.

Yes, we are lucky to all live near each other and be friends that are into the same type of things, couldn't ask for a better situation!

For the most part we built "BAD NEWS" the way Aaron envisioned it. Aaron has as keen an eye as there is, as to what a hot rod should look like.

Here's hoping I get all this right...

We chopped the roof 10 inches.

We raised the cowl, cutting and lifting the top half straight up into the windshield while leaving the bottom half in the stock position. Then filled horizontal gap between the top and bottom of the cowl and finished it off with an aluminum firewall.

It really was a $30 dollar A frame, when your always looking, for years, you come across stuff. (I'd like to find a few at that price these days!)

The rearend is a 50 Merc that Aaron went and pulled out of a Mercury at Gene Winfield's place.

Everyone in the club contributed parts or helped out. Deron had the American Mags, I had the slicks, Deron the intake I think, me the scoops. Aaron had the most stuff luckily for him, so he gets to keep the car. ha...

Here's a sweat shirt a friend in Japan did for Aaron.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

I've seen another hot rod painted "BAD NEWS" on the sides elsewhere on the net.... I think it's a wild looking green deuce pickup...

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Some cars say "hot rod", this one screams it!!!

Frank

5. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

how come i never seen this rides show? i dont watch tv much, but i sure someone would of tiped me off on it by now.i guess they dont play that stuff on the east coast? dose anyone sell this episode of rides? or can copy it for me?

6. Verne, thanks for explaining the cowl mod, everytime I have watched the episode I have wondered why the side of the cowl had a strip in bare metal!

It is from series 2 and you can buy the complete series relatively cheap I have had my set for 4 years and the "Bad News" episode I have watched so many times I have lost count.

Whenever I get the shits working on my roadster I watch this episode and gets me gee'd up to work on my heap again. :cool:

The continual use of "Rat Rod" in the episode makes me want to punch the producer or voice over guy in the mouth.

The extra footage is also great to watch!

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Hahahaha! I know what you mean with the rat rod thing. The voice over guy is Mr. 90210 hisself, Jason Priestly. It's crazy they would even name the episode "Rat Rods" and show nothing but The Choppers. Those guys are the furthest thing from rat rods there is.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Think about it Terd.......6 years ago in 2004 you were probably calling them Rat Rods. I mean that whole switch over to rat rods being a derogatory term didn't spread to the masses on the east til after that. Shit it's still not over here in the south!!!

I wouldn't take it derogatory but more of a marketing tool to appeal to a younger crowd during a time when that's what a lot of people knew them as. I remember my father teaching me about rats which where really bare bones cars that hauled ass in the early 90's. There was a difference between "Rats" and "Roaches". Roaches were pieces of shit. Rats were loud fast and dirty.

But anyhow The Choppers know what that car is and what it's based upon and further more Aaron knows it's nothing less then a Hot Rod. So if Rides thought they could spread the story by using the term Rat Rod then so be it. Shit if I were a young kid looking at that show and I seen that car and it was labeled as a rat rod.....count me in!!! I could care less what you call it as long as it's strong, fast, and cool.

9. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

10. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

<fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Really like these pics........... I shot them..........Hi Verne

Attached Thumbnails</legend> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

</fieldset>

11. No worries Pat!

[​IMG]

Great pics Jack!

12. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Thanks for the pics Verne! There's a few I haven't seen.
    I highly recommend the "Devil At Your Feet" DVD!
    If you guys like Aaron's 'T'...then check out Sandy's 'A' Coupe too

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=9085

I can't wait 'till this one hits the streets!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  13. Verne

Verne
    from Burbank

Thanks again guys for all the positive response for "BAD NEWS" the RIDES show and The CHOPPERS, it means alot.

Jeffrey James, Terd, during the RIDES filming we fought the rat rod label, tooth and nail. I think the show expresses that. At first the producer called me cynical, I told him I did not want the club or hot rodding embarrassed. The TV crew came into it thinking they wanted a rat rod show but like I said, they listened to us. After a few days of them hanging around, I heard the director say to another crew member "I think we got a different story here" That was a turning point and that was when I thought this is probably gonna turn out alright.

Pat Pryor, I think you can rent the RIDES 2nd season on Netflix.

Jimmy B, you got the passion... kept it up, always look forward to your posts.

Jack Butler took those pics, he's also seen with his pin-hole camera towards the end of RIDES, cool scene. He's been at it along time, I recently went to an art opening of his, cool stuff, great guy! Hi Jack.

Well here's a few more from Laurent Bagnard's book,
    THE ELECTROLINE DIARIES A journey with the Burbank Choppers car club

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I see in the later pics it had a windshield visor added, what is it off of?

15. Verne

Verne
    from Burbank

The visor was added soon after the show was finished, it's actually a chopped down and narrowed Model A visor.

16. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Thanks Jimmy B ........always enjoy your passion.....

Thanks Verne.....was great to see you at my opening.....

and yeah "BAD NEWS" is a very cool ride and build!

17. 65 impala

65 impala

how about some video of it in action

18. autobilly

autobilly

I remember when the Rides episode that featured the "Bad News T" build first aired here in Oz. As well as being the best the show ever did, it went a long way in explaining the "Alian" concept of authentic traditional Hot Rods and Customs to the other Mechanics at work, who thought that "high tech" was the only way to go. I still had to answer questions like "where's the roof?' etc. I guess some guys should stick with late model injected SBC powered Street Machines. I've since watched that episode so many times that it's kind of a joke with my Wife.

19. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

just saw the "bad news" episode tonight on hd

wish rides would do more shows like this!

20. rodrobb

rodrobb
    from Sweden

BAD NEWS are the reason that I build my T coupe and I love the BAD NEWS episode
    on tv, Pure backyard hot rodding. Tanks Burbank choppers ,hope you drive the shit out of that little coup

21. coffin

coffin

Love it so much i got it tattoo'd on my arm, definatly make me want to build one. just wish i could find a decent shell to start with!

[​IMG]

22. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

BTT. Probably the biggest single reason for my obsession with building a traditional hot rod is this car. I've got the rides episode on my DVR and watch it at least once a week LOL!

23. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

Does anybody know how much it was chopped?

24. fattoy

fattoy

Hey all. Haven't read all of this thread but am very keen to get hold of the rides program with the bad news T. I have never seen it and love this car. As far as I know it never aired here in New Zealand. Does anyone have a copy they could send me? Please, please, please

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Koz

Koz

Several of the Burbank Choppers are on this Forum. I'm sure one of them will post up.

26. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Thanks for the interest! My T is chopped 10" ... Leaving the side windows 8" high.
    -Aaron

27. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Pretty sure the show aired just about everywhere. You can buy a box set of the series "Rides" and the episode is in there. Not sure if the DVD code is the same in US and New Zealand? If you know any of the guys in the Scroungers club they might be able to hook you up? Also hit up our Instagram and maybe one of us still has a copy of the show. Not sure it's still on YouTube, but for a while there was a Spanish dubbed version of the Episode that is pretty entertaining!
    Thanks for your interest!
    -Aaron

28. bab59

bab59

Just picked up a 27 T coupe. Any more build pictures?

29. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

This is one of my all time favorite cars. I'd love to find me a T coupe sometime.

30. K.L

K.L

So, I thought I could take some time to upload the rides episode to youtube because I know that alot of people want to see the episode and I know how hard it is for some to get a look at it.

If the members of the Burbank Choppers or any of the owners of the clip wants me to take it down then I will do it immediately. The car is one of my all-time favorites and I just wanted to let more people be able to see the wonderful work that has been done by these guys.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    bengeltiger likes this.