Register now to get rid of these ads!

Basic Black Grille Insert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Recks30, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Recks30

Recks30

I've searched quite a bit on The Hamb looking for a basic black grille insert for my 1930 Dodge Sedan. In stock form, the radiator itself acts as the grille insert. As I'm getting a custom rad and plan on doing some decent highway driving, I'd like to put an insert in just to protect the rad fins. I'd like to keep the tight honey comb shape it has now. Any ideas of where to get such a material that I could paint or powdercoat? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Are you tossing the original? Would it be ok to just leave it there with a custom shroud to conceal it better and provide better pass-thru?

3. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have seen a speedway radiator protector used on an early dodge grille. Painted black it looked like the rad. Used on dirt track cars.

Speedway p/n 917-34215

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Check industrial lighting outlets for plastic light "grilles" or metal suppliers for punched metal sheets with octagonal holes. That material has been available.

5. I have heard of people cutting a slice off the front of the honeycomb radiator and mounting that in front of the more modern radiator to keep the honeycomb look, don't know if that's a possibility for you?

sent via classroom note. pass it on

6. Firecat7

Firecat7

McMASTER-CARR....wire cloth....stainless steel, many sizes of mesh. request they ship it flat! shipped mine in a tube once...had to reorder it. :eek:

7. Recks30

Recks30

Thanks for the ideas! Much appreciated. I have lots of choices to decide on now.

8. Dumb question- are you keeping your original interior?

9. Recks30

Recks30

Looks like McMaster-Carr has what I need. Thanks!

10. Recks30

Recks30

I may have closed this thread by accident -fat fingers.

11. Recks30

Recks30

Hi Mac, I don't plan on keeping any of the interior except for the bezel around the gauges, the door handles, and the window crank handles.

12. Will send you a PM tonight- the original interior for my '28 Victory Six was "misplaced" at the shop... so I'm hunting for replacements.

Thanks, Bill

13. Oh, and if you really want to keep the original look of the radiator, then take a 1/2 slice off of it and mount it in front of the modern one- the wire mesh has the initial look, but not the depth!

14. Recks30

Recks30

Taking a slice off would be cool. I gotta find a place that would be able to make a clean, fluid cut though.