Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

i wish i could tell you, found the photo on my tumblr feed with no description, sry
    ***UPDATE***
    soon as i posted that, i did a google search on the image and found you are correct
    Marty Strode, found a copy of the photo here:
    http://www.nhra.com/blog/dragster-insider/2009/09/22/four-wide-mania/
    the description says: from a May 7, 1967, four-car match in Fresno, Calif., at the track’s inaugural Golden Nationals ; from left are Jim Herbert driving the Lizard, Berry Bros.-Stark, Raitt-Hyatt Syndicate II with Dwight Salisbury driving, and Gotelli-Safford.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks, BLACKIE was probably running the place at that time. He told me some great stories, one in particular about "Flaming Frank" Pedregon, getting his car rolled up in the chain link fence, and yes he was on fire to boot!

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

These shots are Bernie Tumlinson, in the "Rat Now" car (Hand and Tumlinson) out of Vancouver, Wa.

Attached Files:

4. cayager

cayager

holy cow 1789 pages. its gonna take a while to get throught this one. keep em coming.

5. HEMIDAV

HEMIDAV
    from FL.

'57 Ford Supercharged cars

Attached Files:

6. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

I think this is Lefty, but not sure; his car changed a lot from the first "Money Olds" single engined car...track looks like Riverside, wonder if the red dragster behind the log is John Bradley?

[​IMG]
    This could be Bayer and Frietas, maybe at Fontana? Hayden Profitt sometimes drove for them.

[​IMG]

Hank Vincent on the right in "Top Banana," confused about the car on the left, looks like Vincent's old "Flying Bedstead" maybe after Hank sold it to build the Top Banana? Northern California, perhaps Cotati or Vacaville?

[​IMG]

From drag racing's really early days...not sure whose this was, "Nicks" might refer to Nick's Speed Shop, Harold Nicholson (Dyno's brother), but really not sure

[​IMG]

Caption says "Hoyt Grimes," wasn't he from Birmingham, AL??

[​IMG]

Cortopassi and Butler "Glass Slipper" vs Jim McLennan, Vacaville

All these photos came from George Klass's site, thanks, George!!!

7. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

BAM! Good stuff just keeps on coming! Love some of those early Vettes! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394854177.595105.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394854186.403573.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

In Re post 35769,That is Hoyt Grimes and he is from the Atlanta,Ga. area.The shot was probably made at Fairburn.

9. WCD

WCD

10. WCD

WCD

The above car was the one used in an episode of the Munsters, wherein Herman takes to the drag strip. The car was to have belonged to the father of one of his son's (Eddie) school pals.

11. 296ardun

296ardun

12. WCD

WCD

Indeed, no Deutschland speed shop, just a gag.

13. the charlie allen car shown a few pages back is fully restored now. its here in town ready to race. the car runnered up at the 65 nats then went under the knife to become a awb car.

14. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

Hut Watkins' Buick powered roadster, painted in "Smokers purple," indicating his membership in the club that started the Smoker's meet at Bakersfield.

[​IMG]

Ratican, Jackson, & Stearns, probably at Indy.

[​IMG]

Hut Watkins again.

[​IMG]

Walt Knox, in "Walt's Puffer," against Ratican, Jackson, & Stearns...I think RJS won.

[​IMG]
    Walt's Puffer, not in motion

[​IMG]
    Jess Van Deventer, track looks like Beeline (?)

[​IMG]

Campos Brothers "Low Blow" (name from an earlier version with a front-mounted blower). the car evolved to a blown Chrysler, which unfortunately exploded, putting driver Tom Ferraro in the hospital with 70% burns. He had the dubious distinction of making the New England Medical Journal as someone who managed to survive such burns.

15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Really like the photos w/comments. Keep 'em commin' 296arden & everyone else!

16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

How about some de-motion? shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. "Westerburg and Bill (think I got the names right!) strong running flathead that ran SoCal strips in the early '60s

Westerberg and Bill became famous their series of Heidelberg Sped Shop modified fuel roadsters."

Didn't know that they raced flatheads before switching to SB Chevys.
    The correct name is Westenberger & Bill--Richie Bill driver.

They had a white modified Fuel "Roadster" that was nothing more that a Jr Fuel Dragster with a full T body on it,,unblown SBC on Fuel.
    They called it "Baby Doll".
    They ran in CJ Harts Competiton Eliminator class with Gary Cochran,Pedregon,Larry Dixon,Jimmy Boyd,my avatar pic etc...65-66 maybe 67.

As far as I know & can remember,they had nothing to do with the Heidelberg car,,,that was Glen Collins & a couple other fun/crazy guys.

troy cagle

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Always interesting to the position of the drivers heads and helmets in shut-down mode.

19. found these in my fathers photos..

Detroit area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 296ardun

296ardun

Here is one of their roadsters, from Don Ewald's site, no names though:

[​IMG]

21. 296ardun

296ardun

...and speaking of chute shots, I found these from Ewald's site while looking up the Heidelburg roadster:
    [​IMG]

Pomona

[​IMG]

Billy Scott, Irwindale, guess he won (!)

[​IMG]

Ron Colson, Nickey Chevrolet, Irwindale

[​IMG]

Pomona

[​IMG]

Irwindale (where's the face mask??)

[​IMG]

Mike Snivley, "Hawaiian" at Irwindale...as Ewald notes about this photo, no guardrails and pretty narrow shut off area...I saw a couple of cars get into the gravel pretty hard after engine explosions, helped get one driver out of the remains of his blown Olds gas digger when the ambulance crew seemed clueless about his probably broken back...it was rough back then.

[​IMG]
    Pomona, no ID. Back then the pointy trees indicated Pomona, they are long gone now, just a fence.

[​IMG]

Prudhomme in the Torkmaster car, Irwindale, '66

Note at bottom of this Ewald page:
    ALL the photos on this page were taken by and are copyrighted by Bob Wagner and are the property of Dave Peters.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  22. brandon

brandon

cool pics.... love the name on the 55

23. jaytee

jaytee
    from Ireland

24. twoponchos:
    By the barn in the background, I'd say those were taken at Detroit Dragway. If you have any more please post them.

25. 231ramona

231ramona

Anyone know who this is? I have the car but no history from the early 70's.

Attached Files:

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

I'd like for two ponchos to post more as well but unless my mind is gone I believe that is Motor City-Jim

27. The Heidelberg car,,we raced that thing a lot in CJs Comp Eliminator class.
    The car above & my dads roadster were both on the rollers at Lions one night.
    We let them fire first & when the clutch came out in blew the rods out of the block & pan all over the rollers.
    The Heidelberg bunch were great guys

28. Looks like Steve Novosels 55 Chevy........ Steve also had a 56 Chevy sedan that was named Lemonade 3......good Detroit drag racer and now the chief guy for the Detroit Autorama.

29. Wow twoponchos ! Great stuff.Love the Bronco Buster and Dick Jesse GTO shots. Thanks. DD

30. 296ardun

296ardun

Now that's a great story! I remember the roadster at Colton, at that time driven by the late Mike Snivley. I wonder if that was his first competition ride?