Register now to get rid of these ads!

G28T, German Four Banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OHV DeLuxe, May 12, 2007.

1. 3wmike

3wmike

Hi i`ve recently bought a distributor from a G28T for my A-Ford engine but the rotor and cap are missing, do anyone know from which car theese parts will fit, the guy i bought the distributor thinks it was same as 50-60:s VW bus or transporter
    Thanx
    Michael from Sweden

2. Weasel

Weasel

What - like the Loudensplittenboomer upsets the harmonics of the Crankennockenlager? :D

Bruce, I'll be happy to help translate this stuff for you if you want - I used to do tech translation and conference interpreting for Beemer when I lived in ze Fatherland many years ago.

3. Okay, have read through most of the postings, but one question still strikes me: what are the price of a g28t engine nowadays?

Kind regards, Dannerr

4. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Dannerr, you sure dug up an old topic. :D

I guess the question first is where do you find a G28 engine, then what kind of condition is it in, ...followed by how bad do you want one? IMO the price can be from $1k - $5k US depending on all those criterias.

5. Bought a G28T V-8 engine from a Belgium Ambulance Ford Koln about 8 years ago and build it in a Model A.
    The 28 number i'm not sure, could also been G54T ?!
    Engine had only 32.000 km on it (20.000 mls) and was from 1954.
    It had a Solex carb and a 12V Bosch generator/alternator ?
    Price was about 700 US dollar at the time with a four speed truck box.
    In the late 90's early 2000 these were cheap and a lot were on the market, but nowadays they are not cheap anymore.
    Parts are also hard to find here in Holland.

6. Still haven't found one, but ended up buying a B engine with a G38t head on it. Wrote the Kölner-info, I could find on the web, on my project page: http://www.dannerrs.com/39432910

7. R.O.D

R.O.D
    from Sweden

I bought one month ago and paid $4500 for engine that had been running about 100h in a watterpump, intake, megneto and some magnetoparts.

8. R.O.D

R.O.D
    from Sweden

You don´t have bearings sideways.

9. Found and rewrote more info on the The Ford G28T Köln engine.
    I did find one at a reasonable price, which also is shown on the pictures. But I'll save this for later, as I now have gotten my hands on two model B's - and the price of a G28T scares me a little from going wild with it, before the rest of the car is done.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  10. Karo201

Karo201

Got an A with a G28T in it and started with "just" cleaning the oil pan. After pulling now the engine and checking it, I found a broken B-oil pump in it. Can anyone tell me, if the middle bearing of the cam shaft is also connected to the oil pressure system at the G28T? The reason for the question is, that I would go for the high volume oil pump from Snyders.
    Or does anyone have other suggestions?

Regards
    Peter

11. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Just remember that those magnetos often are restricted to say . . . . 2500 rpm's.
    Dannerr knows how to fix this :)

12. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

All you need to do then is to find a set of these.. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      226.3 KB
      Views:
  13. Yeah - and what NOT to try!
    Broke the rotor on my first, because I just taped the short circuit arm, so the current couldn't go through. But the weight of the tape and the rotational speed bended the arm, breaking the rotor.

So if you decide to get rid of it, please be carefull...

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Somebody, probably someone reading this thread, wrote me a few months back about getting some xeroxes of the G28 shop manual...now I have found the book, but have lost the name and address!
    Cruiser up above has offered up his CD version of presumably the same book, but let me know! Full procedures on adjusting the geheim blinkendampfergeratt, and all of that.

15. I don't think, it was me, but I'd like one! :D

16. Magnus B

Magnus B

Put me in line for a set or two :D Great find.

//Magnus

17. RussTee

RussTee

Most Of these engines we find in New Zealand had been fitted to Class harvesters the problem with them is the back flange where the flywheel fits they tend to break at this point. Check to see if there is a nice radious thereat the point between the back bearing and the flange they can be welded and reground and are a good motor apart from the problem of parts (bearings). Dont worry I have looked around for spare parts here but have not had much luck.

18. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Very cool find! Any pics of the
    Scintilla Vertex mag?? Were they
    an OEM piece for the industrial
    versions of G28T?

Mart3406
    =========

19. Yes, it's stock - but be aware of the limitating cut-out.
    I guess, in order to leave out all unnecessary electrics, it was used, as it conducts it's own, leaving the (industrial) G28T with only start option by hand crank.
    On my AA:
    [​IMG]
    On my G28T:
    [​IMG]

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Very interesting stuff! I'm going to shoot a xerox of some shop manual stuff for D. Maybe we can get it scanned online...it's all in German, of course, but there are pictures.
    German is not as scary as the loooong words to be found in my Danish '32 manual!

21. How the hæll did you get your hands on a danish '32 manual? :eek::confused:

Kind regards, one of the danes...

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I have pillaged the far corners of the world for this stuff...Lord knows how much money I have put into Ford paper in my lifetime! '32 parts manuals from England, USA, Canada, local and Canadian ones from NZ and Australia, lots of Ford Canada WWII manuals, etc.
    I'll get a copy of the Danish one to someone who can spread it around there, if I ever find the blasted thing! It contains almost a kilogram of diacritical marks, I believe.

23. Pierre H

Pierre H
    from france

hello G28T fans
    sorry to dig up this old thread but I just start to rebuilt my G28T and I can't find the crank and conrod nuts torque ? any idea ? thanks

24. Yeah, stock model A specs would be my guess.
    Or else, ask in this month banger-thread. :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Pierre H

Pierre H
    from france

you're probably right, model A and V8 have the same torque specs, no matter if it's babbit or insert

26. Thomas1982

Thomas1982

Ich weiß, dass es ein alter Thread ist, leider kenne ich mich im Forum nicht so gut aus, ich bin Thomas und komme aus Deutschland, wir lassen derzeit 20 Sätze Motorlager für den g28T fertigen, der im Mai fertig sein wird . Ich wäre bereit, eine zweite Runde zu starten. Das Set stammt von einem Unternehmen aus Deutschland. Es handelt sich um Halbsets, leider gibt es keine passenden Sets in Untergröße. Das Set würde aus Pleuellager und Hauptlager bestehen, Preis ca. 900€ zzgl. Versand. Wenn Sie Fragen haben, senden Sie mir bitte eine E-Mail. Ich würde dafür eine Watts-App-Gruppe aufbauen. [email protected] Grüße Thomas

27. Thomas1982

Thomas1982

I know it's an old thread, unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the forum, I'm Thomas and I'm from Germany, we're currently having 20 sets of motor bearings manufactured for the g28T, which will be finished in May. I would be willing to start a second round. The set comes from a company in Germany. They are semi sets, unfortunately there are no suitable undersized sets. The set would consist of connecting rod bearings and main bearings, price approx. 900€ plus shipping. If you have any questions please email me. i would Build a watts App group for This. [email protected] Greets thomas

Dannerr and mvee33 like this.
  28. Thomas1982

Thomas1982

AAECD41C-C871-4E16-B8FD-D8ED04FF1BB8.jpeg

Attached Files:

mvee33 likes this.