Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slammed the '31 Ford Coupe! Sweet and Low Down!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elrod, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Elrod

Elrod

you can either use a spring spreader (which is why it jumped at you when you removed it) or you drop the rear end down, put a C clamp on the spring pack and remove the center bolt slowly relieving the spring tension. Then with that single leaf still attached to the spring perches, it comes out pretty easy.

Or you can use the 1930s block of wood ( 2x4 ) method and you put a block of wood on top of the axle tube under the spring shackle and spring. Then jack the rear end up with the block of wood pressing up on the spring hanger and the spring sliding on the wood closer to the backing plate. Then remove the spring shackle, then release the jack.

I did not use any model A leaves. I left the gap in the rear crossmember. The radius arms prevent the rear end from twisting in the crossmember, the center pin in the spring prevents the spring from walking and the spring clamps to the crossmember have that spring grabbed very very tight, it's not going anywhere. This isn't my daily driver. It should last another 85 years, long after I won't care anymore. :)

Dannerr likes this.
  2. 1knuckle

1knuckle
    from arizona

Thanks I will try that in the reverse order since I am putting the T spring in. don't want to jack your post. nice ride, "I'd drive that"

3. Elrod

Elrod

Thanks buddy! I've actually re-done it since this post and put a flathead V8 with a 1937 supercharger in it. Here is a link with a video from Mad Fabricators

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690535

My build thread is below.

4. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Hey Elrod, killer coupe man. How are you running the steel wheels on the A drums. I just picked up my A chassis and I'm staying with the mechanical brakes as well but I'm reading about a spacer needed to run different wheels.

5. Salty 28

Salty 28
    from Mandurah

Coupe looks sweet, I’m lowering my Wife’s 31 with mechanical brakes