Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Just my opinion here,but I feel Mike needs to either make it a race car or a quick street car.His cam,headers,transmission say street car,his mechanical fuel injection,rear gears and slicks say race car! It is really hard to reach his goals with the current combo,he is getting close though!! His 64 Falcon is a very cool ride,very well done and true to the old B/FX style! ROY.

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

A set of 1-3/4" headers will make a surprisingly big difference over the more common 1-5/8" usually found for a sbf.
    On a motor like yours,I'm gonna say they could get you around 30 more hp,and a more aggressive cam should really let that injection shine.
    That was a really cool video Mike.
    Glad to see you're having fun with the car and sneakin' up on the 11's!:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

sweet ride hope you get it in the 11's soon shouldn't be too hard with your setup

4. Where do I get 1 3/4" headers for the falcon, besides crites?

5. spiertb

spiertb

Check Mad Dog Headers. Syl

6. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

tubular headers in mass old school company aka ruby dick headers

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Tubular Automotive makes some that require trimming the inner fender apron to run a tube outside the frame rail,but they work nice.
    Also,JBA makes a pretty pricey set for early Mustangs that may work on your Falcon.
    I'm not sure if Jerry Jardine makes them or not,but I know he would if you sent him your existing ones as a pattern,and he would cut you a deal on them for allowing him to prototype them off your existing headers too.

Scott

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ps:
    Tubular is very old school and doesn't have a website,just a phone number when you google them.

Scott

9. Spoke to tubular automotive about headers, super nice to deal with. They said they don't make anything for my application, but they could build me a custom set, only problem is I'm 4500 miles away!

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

They're a very no nonsense operation,aren't they Mike?
    Pretty sure my next set will be coming from them.
    I think their Mustang set should fit your car like a glove.

Scott

11. I spoke to them for about 20 minutes about different options and they said they would have to make a custom set.

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's a bummer.I had the same problem with a set I was going to have Jerry Jardine make up for my car:He was a thousand miles away,without a car to mock up and fab the headers on.
    He was a super nice guy,and had some really fun stories about his trips to my home town back in the 70's though!:)

Scott

13. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

A 1.75" primary has to make really sharp bends with the stock shock towers. I had a custom set made, and I have .060" clearance w/ the towers. This is on a Mustang. Falcons are about 1/2" narrower than a Mustang at this point. I have two 65 Falcons
    as well.....there are several subtle differences between mustangs and falcons...the floor/firewall area is another area of concern.

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

On the Tubular Automotive headers they send a couple tubes on each side through a hole cut in the inner fender apron behind the shock towers to try to free up some room.

Also,Crites has a really slick kit for notching the shock towers that does a really sanitary job.That allows a lot more room for primary tubes.

Scott

15. I mentioned the crites kit to Tubular Automotive. They said it makes it easier to get to spark plugs and header bolts but virtually does nothing for header clearance as the upper control arms are in the same spot. I am thinking I may commission my friend Dale to build me a set, I like exit behind the shock towers like Roy has, but my brake lines and portioning valve are in the way on the drivers side

16. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Mike
    as a side note, you can minimize UCA issues by going to a Shelby drop. Weve actually lowered it more than the traditional inch. Enhaces camber-gain and can add caster according to where you drill

17. 65COMET

65COMET

I would not want to be a header manufacturer trying to make one header fit many cars!! It is not just early Fords either.I helped a friend install headers on his Chevelle,same part # as the old rusty ones we took off,we went through three sets [same part #,same builder] before one set actually fit!!!!My Dougs TRI-Ys went right on,Mike had a tough time with his,same part #,both Falcons!!!!! ROY.

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

I agree Roy,
    Even a tiny error in a jig or fixture could throw everything out of whack....
    With dozens of part numbers to build,that could be a nightmare.

Scott

19. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

These and '64 Comets are very tough looking AFX cars!

20. 65COMET

65COMET

In helping a Friend with an all aluminum 427W in a 65 Falcon,he used Crites Headers and notching templates,we had to open the bolt hoes on 10 out of 16 holes plus beat the tubes in by the holes,most of those on the forward side! All 8 were different lengths by a HUGE amount,this car is mainly a street car so no big deal with the lengths.Off the shelf headers can be a HUGE deal on the early Falcons and Comets!! I ended up building my own for my 418W in my 65 Comet,3,4 and 7,8 go out behind the towers then back under,6 tubes at 36",2 at 35",close enough for me!!! ROY.

21. Mummert

Mummert

We have bfx comet going together with a Y-block in it. With the Crites fenderwell notching kit 1.75" headers are gonna be a little tight. The notching kit would make a big difference on a (late model) small block 289-302.

22. Thanks for the info!

23. Mummert

Mummert

If I recall its 2.25" a side.

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

The Falcon and Comet setups seem to have a bunch more room than the Mustang setups when notched,due to the difference in the way the control arms bolt up.
    The Crites site has a few good pictures that show the installed kit,and some before and after pictures.

Scott

bd180 likes this.
  25. I'm kinda in the market for some AFR185s if anyone has an extra set laying around. With new heads and a cam/clutch change I think I will meet my speed goals. Then I need to get some headers built. Lucky for me , Roy already has the crites big block cut out template for my car.

26. Mummert

Mummert

I could put up some pics of our if I could find my camera. The kit is mainly for FE's but they sell motor mount adapters for 289-351w that fit the lower control arm mounts after the notch kit is complete.

27. Mummert

Mummert

There is quite a bit involved as the front wheel track gets wider. The kit provides new mounts for the upper and lower control mounts and an extension for the drag link.
    What are you running for heads now?

28. Doug's tri-ys...

29. Mummert

Mummert

What kind of Cylinder Heads are you running?

30. 69 351w cast iron heads