Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 Fleetmaster front suspension questions/

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rottenwood Garage, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Rottenwood Garage

Rottenwood Garage

I picked up a VERY nice all original running and driving 1948 Fleetmaster. Not really interested in an "original" car but I could not pass on the deal. My dilemma is do I flip it or turn it into a really cool 50's era hotrod. I am weighing out that decision. My question is, do I really need to change out the front end to a Mustang II/Camaro or will the stock style front end be sufficient to handle a SBC in normal driving conditions? I am not opposed to putting one in but IS IT NEEDED?

What are your thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The stock front suspension in good service condition will be fine for any engine you choose. These cars are easy to build, ride and drive quite well, just mount modern tube shocks up front and you are in business.

3. Dave1946

Dave1946

I agree with pasadenahotrod. I had a 48 Chev coupe exactly like yours. Made some new mounts for tube shocks and drove it 75000 miles with a 350/350 combination. It was still going fine when I sold it.

4. Rottenwood Garage

Rottenwood Garage

What about power steering? It steers great now...will the V8 change it any? Is there a simple conversion?

5. Just a few comments;

A true 50's era "period-correct" hot rod would rule out a front clip & power steering. Also not sure that a big Fleetmaster would have been considered hot rod material in that period.

Why not make a mild custom out of it with a hopped-up six?

6. Rottenwood Garage

Rottenwood Garage

That's the feedback I am looking for...I agree on the power steering but thought I would get feedback. If I am to take it apart and remove the 216 I will NOT be putting a 6 back in it.

I already have a somewhat hopped up I-6 in my Stylemaster. BTW.."For Sale"

Attached Files:

IDOXLR8MY48 likes this.
  7. If you are lucky and your front shocks don't leak, you still have king pin bushes, etc which could be worn/sloppy. Easily fixed, and you can buy an external shock mount if your original shocks leak. The old stovebolt mill was bloody heavy, so that front end should keep anything up that you put in it. There is no "simple" or bolt in conversion for power steering for these, I have heard of Vega? steering boxes being used, but that would also involve a column swap, or at least a cut- down original (the steering shaft was part of the steering box).

8. Rottenwood Garage

Rottenwood Garage

Front end is tight and nice...The entire car was restored 20~ years ago and barely used.

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I have a friend with a 47 Olds convertible. He upgraded to discs on OEM spindles and control arms with R&P steering. He added telescopic shocks as well. A lot more work on Olds as F/E has spring pockets in frame and can't be removed without major surgery.

10. atmspltr

atmspltr

Imagine finding you on this site.
    I may be looking to do the Mustang 2 on my truck in the future. For now, I just want it on the road and to reclaim my garage.

R. Bracey

11. Rottenwood Garage

Rottenwood Garage

Surprise Surprise.....too funny!

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If it runs good, hop up the six a little and drive it.

13. Rottenwood Garage

Rottenwood Garage

"Hop up" a 216...no thanks!

zzford likes this.
  14. My question is, do I really need to change out the front end to a Mustang II/Camaro or will the stock style front end be sufficient to handle a SBC in normal driving conditions? I am not opposed to putting one in but IS IT NEEDED?

NO you dont need a MII !! I drive mine everywhere with the std shocks, front end, 283, T350, 57 Chevy rear. Grated a little "floaty but hey thats part of it,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    photo sharing

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You would be crazy to change it. Unless you like wasting money, sell it as is and build a cheaper car that has not been restored.

16. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Wow, nice car! Let me start by saying I'm old enough to have been around in the 50's and these cars were very popular with the "hot rod" crowd, although we knew enough back then to not call them hot rods. I like your idea of a "cool 50's era hot rod" but I gotta tell ya, that would certainly not include a MII front end and a 350/350 combo, since they hadn't been invented yet! When these cars were built back in the day, they would have been lowered, maybe shaved, certainly most retained the 216 in various stages of being "hopped up", almost all had a set of Fentons and Smittys.

If I were lucky enough to have a car like yours, I wouldn't do anything to permanently change it. I would do "bolt-on" stuff that could easily be changed back. You could put a set of dropped spindles (uprights) on, lowering blocks in the back, a set of dual pipes, maybe some spinner caps, and a set of 3:55 gears from Patrick's. I'd leave all the chrome just as it is and call it a "resto-mod" if it had to have a name. Then just drive it and enjoy it. Personally, I'm really bored with the 350/350 belly-button approach. I've got a 6 in my truck, and can drive the speed limit in town or out on the freeway, that's good enough for me. If I want to race, I'll borrow the wife's Chrysler 300.

There's a 216 social group here on the HAMB. Before you junk that motor, do a little research and read up on these great little engines.

Thanks for letting an old man vent. Enjoy that beautiful Chevy.

17. henry29

henry29

I have a 327 in mine with with stock suspension and disc brakes. It steers easy and stops really good.

[​IMG]

18. jazz1

jazz1

Interesting thread as I am working on my 48 chev sedan delivery,,had not really considered keeping front IFS. I think that "armstrong steering" would get old real fast. My car had no drivetrain so a sbc will be installed with a 700r4.

19. Rottenwood Garage

Rottenwood Garage

Your car is perfect!

I agree 100% and that's why its listed for sale here and several other places. Lots of time wasters but no one has cleared the purchase with their wife first. Also, after spending some time with the car I think its an original car with a rebuilt engine, suspension and 1 lacquer re-spray.

OK guys, a little more info here. In my search for a all weather, cross country, every day driver I ended up buying 2 cars back to back that were none of the above. (I have a problem).The coupe I had been pestering the P.O. for 10 years to sell me and about the time I bought another 48 he asked me if I really wanted it. I felt obligated to buy it. Now I have a Fleetmaster and a Stylemaster at the same time. I like both cars but neither are what I really want. The Stylemaster has a later 235, 12V conversion, vacuum shift delete, Fenton, dual exhaust, bla bla bla and is ready for a dual carb...you know...all the normal stuff. I like the body style of the coupe better and thus my dilemma. The right thing to do would be to sell them both and buy what I want. Here at Rottenwood Garage we love to build so leaving one stock is not an option and they have been sitting here (driving them too) long enough that we really want to build one of them. No, I don't want a M2 in. I know better. I do however have no love for an I6. So, I have listed them both for sale and at the same time we have made a build plan with options for both cars that involve I6 with T5, LS swap etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  20. 5 Finger Discount

5 Finger Discount

I’m gonna jump on in here, Im new to the forum but felt the need to join as I was asked to help out with this build. I am VERY excited to be included in this project as the ’48 is one of my favorite cars that David has brought home to date. With some planning and a lot of fun the end product will be an OE Rumrunner Hotrod – Stock ride height with slight rake in the rear from the heavy duty springs and coker slicks. Running gear will be a 327 corvette motor mated to a t-5 transmission and a 12 bolt 3.73 rearend (depending on fitment). Disk brake front end and drums on the rear. Our initial thought was to drop in a base 4bolt gm crate motor, but then there’s the 327 that has been sitting in the corner…. Currently running budget numbers, but if everything falls in line then we’ll be building motor. Enough with that-
    First question is, what rear ends have yall been using that will work with the stock 6 lug steel wheels and be stout enough for a mild small block? We have yet to pull any measurements but hope that we can find an early 12bolt leaf spring truck rear end that will drop in. (possibly pre 1969 GMC 12 bolt) bolt dia on the truck wheels is 6x5.5. What is the bolt diameter and center bore on the stock ’48 steel wheels?
    Anyone have a part number for the dual pot master cylinder (front disk brake, rear drums)
    Last question for now…anyone had any experience putting a T5 in a fleetline? Should we convert to a hydraulic clutch or can anyone point us in the right direction as far as clutch linkages?

21. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Listening in on this one!

22. samurai mike

samurai mike

check out 1980's izuzu trooper rear end, six lug, disc brakes, and as strong as a dana 44.

23. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

A small block Chevy weighs less than the original six, so it should either steer as easy as it does with the six, or a bit easier.

24. olds vroom

olds vroom

Any pics of how to mount new tube shocks on the front of a car like this?

25. olds vroom

olds vroom

26. Attached Files:

27. Rottenwood Garage

Rottenwood Garage

Sold the car....moving on!

28. jazz1

jazz1

what are you using to put power steering in your 48 chev. I think a m11 is the easiest way to upgrade to power steering, disc brakes instead of dealing will 70 year old suspension. I do all my own work so a couple thousand dollars for parts is of little consequence since there will not be a body shop getting a dime from me. Maybe if I installed the engine immediately I would be more inclined to maintain the stock suspension.

29. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I guess if the car is sold, this is a moot point, but there seems to be enough people listening in for their own projects that I'll spout off anyway. Rather than look for a 6 bolt hub rear, it seems to me that back in the day guys adapted 54 Chevy front spindles and drums to switch them to 5 bolts. Back then a 55 Chev rear would have been used to adapt to the open drive and stand up to a mild smallblock for street use. I realize these parts aren't exactly sitting at the front gate of the local pick'n'pull anymore, but it's another option to consider.

30. CGkidd

CGkidd