Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Elton Kantor's Shoebox

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Not a fan of Continental kits but I like that car overall in both versions.

3. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I like continental kits on some cars but this one is so wrong, however the rest of the car is very cool!

4. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks for posting Ryan, this is one of my all time favourite magazine covers. It's not the greatest rear end but I would give my left leg to have it. I'm a face guy anyhow.

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

6. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

As far as the 'continental kit' look goes, at least he attempted to integrate it into the car rather than just bolt the whole thing off the back and then extend the bumper an extra 2 feet out into thin air like most of em. I think its a pretty good effort

7. Removing the Continental bulge by simply replacing the trunk lid would go along way towards helping the rear end without major cosmetic surgery...

[​IMG]

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

How much have the rear quarters been extended?

A foot or more?

Rich

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" . . . the Kim Kardashian of early customs.”

Had to chuckle. Just call 'em like you see 'em, brother! We are right there with you . . .

10. Love that cover shot. Amazing car. Merc grill surrounds look killer in shoeboxes. As far as the rear I'm in the same boat as everyone else, but I appreciate the time and work involved. Still a great overall car.

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

It looks great from front end to the doors,but i cant say same about the rear..

12. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I agree, the continental kit looks integrated so I have to give this guy credit for trying. I don't think it looks bad. Generally, I give continental kits a thumbs down. I probably would like it even more if the rear fenders were not extended quite so much. The proportions and overhangs of a '49-'51 Ford are pretty nice right out of the box.

13. chickenshift

chickenshift

I agree on the rear, its like they couldn't make up their mind on what to do

14. autobilly

autobilly

I may be wrong but I don't think he was referencing Kim's face.;)
    Either way, not withstanding the decklid, it's a very smooth Custom.

15. catdad49

catdad49

I agree on the rearend, but it is unique. I'm leaning toward the red and white version, but cruising thru the drive-in, twice pipes burblin'! Could it get any better?

16. bfinch56

bfinch56

what are the side moldings off of in the red version? i like em

17. the-rodster

the-rodster

54 Chevy Belair.

Looks like several sets.

Rich

18. It looks to me like there are three versions. In the last few B&W photos, the roof is not white. It does have the side trim and deeply hooded headlights of the red version though. The tail light lenses are also different between the two versions without the white top.

It appears this is also when the teeth were added to the leading edge of the skirts.

19. So that is where Ford got the idea on the Continental. I dig the red version.

20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

It does have kind of a Bussel look to it.

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's a great cover and front end.
    Rear would look better stone stock, so I don't give any credit for the effort. To be frank, it should have never made it to primer and been reworked before paint.

BTW, who's Kim Karcashian?

22. R&C RON

R&C RON

Here is Elton with his trophy at the 1953 Oakland Roadster show.

[​IMG]

23. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Great photo Ron! Do anyone know what happened to this one?

24. flamingokid

flamingokid

I like the second version better.The continental kit looks like something that cried out to be removed from that cars ass.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not much of a fan of the front end either... The thought of the old wheeze "If I had a dog that ugly I'd shave it's ass and teach it to walk backwards..." Whoops, that wouldn't work either.

26. seatex

seatex

27. I don't mind continental kits, but this one is horrid!

28. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Nice car from certain angles. I like the front end, except the grille itself is a bit busy.

Now the rear end? I kinda like the molded-in coni-kit. But that weirdly bulged panel below it really messes up the lines. And most of all, those strange double-dips on the rear fenders where the taillights are. That's what really makes the rear of this otherwise nice Custom ugly!

29. I agree I have more issue with the rear fenders than the continental kit. Those dips in the fenders make no sense what so ever.