Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 Ford F4 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Hivolt5.0, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Now that's some good advice xtremek. Good advice indeed. Thank you Sir.

My biggest concern was determining what vehicle the master cylinder came from again. I looked for the receipt and couldn't find it in my restoration folder so I went back to the FordBarn theard and found the needed information there. I plan on calling the part stores today and pickup another one.

2. Had a pretty successful couple of days. I filled the rear end with gear lube, acquired another master cylinder, have all but one brake line done (ran out of time), power washed the motor, removed the accessory drives from the motor, and got a few other little odds and ends done.

My goal for next week is to have the brake system bled and leak checked. Crossing my fingers that all of my flares are leak free!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Brake lines done!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393899369.749731.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393899424.366619.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393899463.867421.jpg

4. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Impressive job on the brake lines...... and, everything else too.

5. Thank you.

6. farmer12

farmer12

Agree. Brake line work looks impressive!

7. Thank you. Crossing my fingers none of them leak. :eek:

8. xtremek

xtremek

Looks nice! Once you get this beast rolling, after all the debate on brake lines, can you give us an impression of how they perform.

9. Thank you. And yes, I'll definitely give my impression of the brake's effectiveness. I've been thinking about the discussion all while making the lines. I'm interested to see how they work.

10. Bench bled the master cylinder and reinstalled it. I haven't tried bleeding the brakes yet, I want to see if any if the master cylinder fittings leak so I'm gonna let it sit and see what happens. In the mean time I made a bracket for the brake pedal return spring. Nothing fancy but I think it will work.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393994696.383602.jpg

11. Well, my worst fears realized. Every line coming out of the proportioning valve are leaking. I just don't get it. There is obviously an art to double flares and I ain't got it. All of the flares looked good so I'm just surprised to see them leaking. Well, at least I have patterns for lines.

12. I fought leaky double flairs for years, bought the $250 K-tool double flair kit. Works great.

13. yeah, I guess I'll have to "pony up" for one of those too. I stepped up to a Rigid flaring tool late last year, which is considerable better than the cheap parts store tool I was using, but I guess even those have their weaknesses. I was really hoping to have the lines all bled by now, not starting over with them.

Ok, enough whineing, I'll put on my big boy shorts and get over it. :rolleyes:

14. xtremek

xtremek

I don't know what the deal with brake lines is. When I was a kid, I could flare them all day long and never had one leak. Now that I'm older, I miss more than I hit. And it's the same exact tool I had back in the day.:confused:

15. I keep wondering if I'm cranking down on the flare too much as I'm making them. Perhaps this keeps the flare from "seating" as the nut is tighened???

16. Thanks GreenMonster. I've looked at the Eastwood flaring tool before but didn't have the $250 for it, still don't. But, I'm tired of fighting with the typical flaring tool that's for sure.

17. I bought an Autozone flaring tool originally and the flaring insert was out of round, causing a leak. Sometimes temper tantrums lead to expensive purchases :)

18. Amen Brother, Amen.

19. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

20. Thanks Gojeep. I'll definitely be saving up for this tool. In the meantime, HAMB to the rescue! A fellow HAMBer is graciously letting me borrow his Eastwood flaring tool. Thank you!!!

brEad likes this.
  21. Well Dave are you having any luck ? I know the feeling brother . It sure is a disappointment at the time. Know this though, we have all been there and done it , if that makes you feel any better you are not alone ! Good luck , Andy..

22. Thanks Andy. Yeah, I know we all of issues, with the cars that is. Haha

Sometimes it's just nice to vent though.

23. Can you give me the parts numbers for the master and 7-inch booster? I think I found a 1980 Chevrolet K30 1-ton master cylinder (NAPA Part Number: NMC M2135) that has the specifications you mentioned and looks like the right part. Don't know where to begin with the booster, though. I'm following your lead right out the door since my 1960 F-350 brakes are apparently identical to your F-4 system. What residual valves did you use, since my system will mount master cylinder beneath the floor, too?

24. Abomination

Abomination

I keep sticking around to see what happens when you make/buy/fit the rear wooden crossmembers under the bed. :)

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sucks about the leaks. Us first-timers are definitely at risk for this type of thing. But the experience is satisfying nonetheless. And in the end, you will win.

Brake lines look great, at least. At the front end, did you go through the frame? Any pics of that process?

[​IMG]

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I musta got lucky; back in the day I had an old single flare kit that worked fine, but a coupla years ago I bought a Craftsman double flare kit from Sears when doing my '51 F1. Did all the lines with nary a leak. I'll take luck any time.:)

brEad likes this.
  27. Osage, yes I'll get the PNs for you but I need to dig through my receipt box for them.

28. That makes two of us Abomination! I haven't figured that one out just yet but I'm anxious to get to it because that will mean I'm getting close to finishing the truck. :)