Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seat frame modification help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordF1, Mar 11, 2014.

1. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

I'm building a 1952 Ford F1 that is chopped 3.5 inches. I've figured the ideal seat height is 8 inches from the floor. I have a second row bench seat from an Astro Van that is 51 inches wide (perfect width for the truck).

I have spent a fair bit of time looking at the seat frame trying to figure out how to lower it and I think if I use a cutting torch/plasma cutter to the frame to where I want it to sit it should work out. I am trying to keep the bench seat track useable so I can have a little adjustment forward and back. There is a bracket that extends below the seat track (in black) that seems to act as a safety catch for the bench adjustment. I would like to know has anyone just cut out the lower bracket and made there own frame for this seat? I don't see the lower bracket as serving an structural support for the seat. Can anyone confirm as long as the seat is on its track it should be alright?

Any help is appreciated.

2. post a picture.

3. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Here are two pictures of the seat (upside down). I am thinking I would cut the seat frame on the yellow line and weld a bracket (U channel or plate) to mount it.

Does the black triangle metal thing with the rivet on it (right where the yellow line I drew cuts through the bottom few inches) actually provide any structure to the frame? It looks to me that it only prevents the seat from going to far forward or back.

I would like to hear ideas how others would lower the seat. I am planning on using my Cobra torch to cut the frame, then weld a piece of flat metal on the bottom with holes drilled to bolt to the floor. I would like to keep the bench track and be able to move the bench forward and back.

Attached Files:

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

5. 48 Merc

48 Merc
    from Right here

Cut it right at the seat track.I build mine with two plates bolted together, this allow for height adjustment and tilt adjustment if required.

Attached Files:

6. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Thanks for the replies guys. 48 Merc, that's exactly what I was wanting to see! That's awesome man. Looks like two L pieces bolted together along with the seat track bolted down.

7. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Here is the before and after of the seat bracket. I still have to make the floor bracket for the seat and tracks. With the brackets the seat will be at a perfect height.

Attached Files:

• z1.JPG
      z1.JPG
      File size:
      66.1 KB
      Views:
    • z2.JPG
      z2.JPG
      File size:
      63.4 KB
      Views:
    • z3.JPG