Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoneSpar, Mar 10, 2014.

1. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

I know this question is going to be very hard to answer but if anybody could point me in a direction I would greatly appreciate it. I need to get rid of this engine but I don't know what it is. I'm unable to find any numbers on the block and I don't have a cherry picker to flip it over. I'm thinking its a Pontiac V8. It isn't even really close to me its about 40 miles away from me so I can't even go look at it on a whim.
    Anyway any help anybody could give me in point me in some direction would be absolutely awesome.
    Thanks View attachment 2154724 1394467809847.jpg 1394467809847.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Attached Files:

3. squirrel

squirrel

56-57 chevy 265

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

SBC WITHOUT side mount provisions, has 55-57 style front mounts still bolted to block, cannister oil filter, small journal/small rods. So like Squirrel said, 56-57 265, OR 57 283 block (55 blocks had NO cast-in-block oil filter). Are the pistons a true flat top WITHOUT valve reliefs? You should be able to use a mirror to read the casting number of the block (at the left rear of the bell housing flange area). Butch/56sedandelivery.

Just noticed, it also has a small pad where a starter would normally bolt on "most" SBC, but not drilled/tapped/. 283's had a larger pad and were drilled/tapped. SO, it's a 56, 265, just like your wagon in the avatar.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

5. squirrel

squirrel

you should be able to just flip the block over without the aid of a hoist, unless you have a bad back or something.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Are these valuable to restorers? I always thought I'd like one to build a 1960 era hot rod, but they are expensive to rebuild. Maybe only a restorer would think it's worth the trouble.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Not real valuable. If it has a stamp that says it's from a Corvette, the value goes up. Or if you're trying to build a mid-late 50s period correct hot rod, then it's a good starting point.

I gave away the last one I had.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Don't all SBC's have a stamp that says they came from Corvettes?

9. Not exactly. All small blocks,after being installed in something else, came from Corvettes.

Measured at the owner's lips.

Cosmo

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My old T bucket had a 57 283 punched to 292 with a solid lifter cam and popup pistons. The ID pad told where the engine was made, that it had either 2 4bbl or Rochester FI when it went into a 57 Chevy. I'm not sure if they decode to Corvettes only in those early years. Do they?

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Some decode to specific car models some don't. Sometimes you can figure it out from the plant code off the partial VIN number combined with the suffix code. Vette's were assembled at the St.Louis plant prior to '83. So if it has a partial VIN stamped with another assembly plant code it didn't come from a Vette.

12. The engine assebly code was affixed to blocks going into Corvettes and passenger cars in '57. Passenger cars getting engines with two fours or FI had different engine code suffixes than those same engines going into Corvettes. The first VIN stamping along with the engine codes occurred only on Corvettes in 1960. The first VIN stamping on passenger cars occurred with the 327/300hp and 409 engines in 1962.

13. squirrel

squirrel

14. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Yeah I was in a car wreck in 2011 and my back is not very good they would advise me not trying to flip an engine. But like I said my biggest problem is the thing is 40 miles away from me and I'm working 14 hour days so it's a little hard to get away now to go check it. I just like to know what it is because I need to advertise it for the ladies so we can sell it

15. I kind of agree with Squirrel here as to it being an early small block chevy.

Someone said that they are expensive to rebuild, that is not the case they are no more expensive to rebuild than any other SBC. If someone was building an early to even late '60s hot rod it is a good choice. We were still using them into the '70s as they were cheap and plentiful.

Oh I meant to say that it is a true fact all SBCs are Corvette motors. :D

16. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Well along with the engine I did find a set of 57 Chevy power pack heads and early small block intake. But then again I did find a set at 67 camel hump heads as well

17. squirrel

squirrel

The 57 PP heads are probably the most valuable thing you have....I sold a couple pairs of 58-59 heads for 500 a pair

18. Ole don

Ole don

The insides of these engine are very light. In a light car, with the right parts, they accelerate very quickly, and will run up to a rather high RPM.

19. squirrel

squirrel

pistons for a 265 cost way more than 350 pistons.

20. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

As well as rod bolts!

21. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

56 Chevy wagon has a 1962 83 bored out 292 in it so I really don't need it I just want to get rid of it for the lady. I've already got a 403 Oldsmobile sitting on an engine stand in my shop that I need to get rid of, just haven't had the time.

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Close Beaner! The 265 and 283 SBC will be a little more expensive for parts, as they were dropped from most engine kits long ago. A kit for a 350 SBC is very inexpensive, but you have to pay more for the same thing for a 265 or 283. Labor is no different regardless of size.

23. alchemy

alchemy

My Pops did a 283 for his '63 a year ago and it cost significantly more for the internal parts than if he had a 350 to rebuild. I can only imagine a 265 would be even worse than the 283.

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Where are you in the "Pacific NW"? I "might" have some interest in the short block. BOTH the 57 PP heads and Camel Humps will DROP the CR on a 265, that came with roughly 55 cc chamber heads, so those heads, with that engine really are't a selling feature. Sell everything separately. Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Just south of Portland.

Found out tonight the motor is a 56 265 factory dual 4 bbl

26. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Ya mean you can't go down to the corner store & get parts for it?
    Oh the humanity.

27. alchemy

alchemy

You don't know me very well. I've spent the last few decades finding obsolete parts from any source I can. But I've never been "into" SBC's. I've just heard talk of the difficulty of finding consumables for the early SBC's. I realize the parts are still out there, but they will cost you.

The rabidity of SBC guys is nowhere near what flathead Ford guys or other vintage engine owners have. You just don't hear SBC guys espousing the costs of rod bearings at $200 like the flathead guys do.

Maybe now there will be some of the same troubles in the Chevy camp, if anybody steps up to build 265's anymore.

28. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

I picked up the engine. This is block crank & pistons. I have the power pack heads and intake manifold in the shop

Attached Files: