Register now to get rid of these ads!

39-46 Chevy Truck Windshield help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chv, Jun 17, 2010.

1. chv

chv
    BANNED
    from Folsom, ca

Hello all,

I have a 46 Chevy Truck, I need a windshield but do not have the frame. Just curious if anybody is familiar with installing a windshield with a rubber seal just into the body with out the frame or what options I have, 1 piece or 2 piece glass. Just want to get it safe for the road.

Thank You
    Chad

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have seen them done in frameless but it takes away from the truck IMO. Go to a decent auto glass shop in the area and they should be able to help. Why don't you run a frame? I just happen to have a cherry one for sale. PM if interested....

3. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

They make the windshield frames repo if you do want to run a frame. The problem comes when you try to get the wind crank out mechanism...they don't reproduce those to my knowledge. Luckily for me mine was in great condition. There are a lot of these trucks around so you could probably find a crank assembly. In my opinion, I don't like the frameless approach, makes the truck look too modern....jmo

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Just curious, what is a cherry 39-46 windshield frame worth?

5. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

I have a '41 with a glude in windshield. Best thing I ever did. The original frame leak everwhere. Used a 2 piece windshield with an S10 moulding around the outside. You should be able to get one from anyone that can cut flat glass.

6. This is the exact approach I'm doing when I get that far. My deal is I have a 4 inch chop so getting rid of the frame gives me more glass area.

Hardhead likes this.
  7. Gomes

Gomes

I have some rubber molding that will work perfect for that. I can send you a pic if you'd like. we do these alot.

8. chv

chv
    BANNED
    from Folsom, ca

Thanks for the replys so far. As too why I dont get a frame, I'd need all the other little stuff. I do love the looks of the swing out and want to do that, but by the time I find all the parts i'd probably be able to find a whole donor truck for the price. Just wanting to get something to get it streetable and change it all later when I have acquired all the parts.

Thanks,

Chad

9. chv

chv
    BANNED
    from Folsom, ca

Gomes,

Sent you a private msg, pictures would be great.

Thank You

10. thaugen

thaugen

Good frames have been going in the $200 range on ebay, and good crank-out mechanisms maybe $50. Hope for hinges already on the frame, and of course a good center bar. That's if you think an opening windshield is cool. To me, it's a part of owning a cool old truck.

11. I've done several flush set glue in on these trucks. it makes the windshield about 3 inches larger that some like and others think it's goofy.

you really need to do something to clean up the backside of the dash. you will be looking thru the glass at that area. I see many flush set that are painted with a black band like the new cars to hide all the sealants and dash. I really hate that especially on a light colored rig. I've cut that down to 1/2 inch maximum. and it helps. also don't use the S-10 style push in trim.
    next one I do, I'll do a tech and post it. I just did a 40 GMC but took no photo's

12. Tony, I'm the "old car glass glass guy" in Portland Or. I've been doing this for 45 years. I've seen your work you really do nice work. I started using that flex trim several years ago and it's not only easier, It's so much cleaner too! keep up the good work. I'd like to stop by and see you sometime........Jim

13. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I've got the original crank out windshield in my 46 chev, I love it it grabs a lot of air even at low speeds really no need for a/c. as for the crank assy mine was stripped when I got it, we took it apart and the gears were fine it was just the bushings were worn so they wouldn't mesh easy fix. I live in a hot area(lowest place in idaho) I wouldn't give up that crank out windshield for anything!

14. chv

chv
    BANNED
    from Folsom, ca

Guess I'll just have to keep looking for a frame, they seem to be gold plated or something....! :eek:

15. budd

budd

i have a frame on my 45 gmc, its rusty along the bottom so i bought another one thats rusty along the bottom, i'll make one out of the two, as for the crank out mine is there but unhooked, i just use a little piece of 2"x2" to prop my window open, hey it works.

16. Gomes

Gomes

Jim I was looking on the HAMB here and found this sorry I didn't see it sooner Thank you I appreciate the kind words you know how much work it is to make this glass stuff so coming from you with that experience says a lot Thanks again come on down any time . The door is always open
    Tony