Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 ford f100 with 6 lug disc brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by diamond dave, Feb 9, 2014.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, any updates?

2. The more I look at those pictures, the more I see 55-59 Chevy truck..

Your picture:

[​IMG]

Notice the stop pads on the axle and the way the steering arm is bolted on. And the arm for the drag link comes around the front of the axle.

55-59 Chevy truck axle:

[​IMG]

53-56 Truck axles don't have the nubs and the drag link arm come from behind.

[​IMG]

3. diamond dave

diamond dave

well, sorry it's taken so long to get any updates on my 6 lug dilemma. I finally made it over to dad's to pull the wheels off and found a crazy deal.
    the front axle definitely has dodge truck spindles on it. either a whole axle, or just the spindles. there is, what appears to be a 1/2'' wide adapter bolted onto the rotor, that has 6 lugs on it. the original studs appear to be replaced by regular bolts that are threaded into the adapter.
    the rear axle is a whole different pile of ugly.
    it seems to be the original rear end. the axle studs were also removed, and bolts were threaded through the axle to a 6 lug adapter plate. then. . . . what looks like a chevy 6 lug drum is slipped over the adapter, onto the original shoes. but, the drums aren't deep enough, and there's a 1/2'' space between the drum and the backing plate. this obviously needs to change. from what I can see, there is no reason for any of these adapters to be there. I will probably remove the adapters and get new rotors and rear drums. I will post pics soon.

4. diamond dave

diamond dave

here are a couple pics of the above described.

Attached Files:

5. diamond dave

diamond dave

yeah, I was gonna. but the guy that was buying my car, flaked on me with some lame excuses,twice. so I traded for this truck.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

WOW.......that is something!! Would never have expected such a modification, especially with the rear drum offset from the brake shoe like that.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Woah....

What a mess.

8. Yep, looks like a 1975 ish Dodge truck brake rotor. Wonder how much of it also got swapped over.

Your options?

Replace the rear axle with a passenger car 5 on 4.5" bolt circle unit, remove the adapter plates on the front and install studs. New set of wheels and your set.

Or.... modify the shit out of it!

9. diamond dave

diamond dave

yeah. I thought about a new rear axle and new rotors on the front, with no adapters.
    I also have a volare and a mustang 2 that I could swap in the front. not sure how much i can sink into this financially. so, that will be a factor as to how i handle it.

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

They made aftermarket six lug wheels that take a Ford cap. I had a crusty chromed set years ago.

Also, the International five lug 16"s will take an early Ford cap, maybe the International six lug wheel do as well.