Register now to get rid of these ads!

Identify this college? Decal poss. California?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gtowagon, Feb 15, 2014.

1. gtowagon

gtowagon

Can anyone tell me what school this decal could be from seems to be an A with possibly a woman in a hat forming the right leg of the A I am thinking that it might be as that's where the car is from. The decal was probably put on between 1931 and 1950 as car had Ben off the road since then. Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

2. gtowagon

gtowagon

Here is a more compleat shot

Attached Files:

3. Mark T

Mark T

I think she is trying to commit suicide with that blunderbuss rifle.

Is she a Pilgrim, did the car the from one the New England states?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  4. gtowagon

gtowagon

Another pic

Attached Files:

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have thousands of old decals but the only one I have that looks something like the picture you showed is the one below but it's not from a college.

Gasgacinch Gasket Sealer Jimbo

[​IMG]

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a guy leaning on a musket in the more complete example. Can't fathom the significance of the capital 'A'.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Something to do with Annie Oakley?????

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Start here http://www.globalcomputing.com/GetSchools_Letter1.cfm?letter=A There are a few in the NE US on that list and a bit of effort may produce a mascot or nickname that matches up with that sticker.

Just thinking that that design may be long gone as it probably wouldn't past muster with the politically correctness brigade.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It may also be a mascot of a high school rather than college. I'm guessing a team name like Pilgrims, Patriots, Minutemen, or such.

10. gtowagon

gtowagon

Could also be a high school mascot I don't think it is auto related possibly something to do with alameda CA

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Whatever college is is from the parents are just about finished paying for it. Bob

mrspeedyt likes this.
  12. gtowagon

gtowagon

Here is another pic

Attached Files:

13. Unable to blow this up for detail.

Most likely a school,,maybe even a military academy. HRP

14. gtowagon

gtowagon

Bump for another round

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like hammer on the musket is cocked ready to fire

16. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Can you post a bigger picture?

17. gtowagon

gtowagon

Sorry that's the best pic I have and it gets worse when enlarged

18. Cougar67

Cougar67
    from Central VA

I'm able to blow up your first two pictures but the third won't enlarge. That definitely looks like a 40's decal. I was thinking Amherst College?
    A pennant about the same age on eBay has the same typeface "A." Here's another decal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

University of Mass, Amherst has the minuteman as their mascot. It's a different school and I think it was an agricultural school back then; different name.

Where did you buy the car?

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

To me it looks like a cartoon cowboy in a 10-gallon hat, leaning (almost side-saddled) on the A with a musket.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Help us help you. Can you take a close up, high res photo of the complete rear window decal?

The 1st photo of the partial decal clearly looks to be Female; facial features, slender arms, hands, wrists. V neckline and tightly fitted shoulders and sleeves. IMHO, a Male charachture of a musket wielding dude would most likely sport a Daniel Boone beard or a wild mustache.

If someone doesn't recognize it, it'll be a lot of cold case type research.
    Try this search page of College mascots;
    http://www.ask.com/wiki/List_of_college_mascots_in_the_United_States

Some of the High School, etc logo and letterman style jacket manufacturing company's have been around for years. Send a good photo to the carious logo makers. They may have it on file even if it's a long gone school.

It could be High School, College, private school, Fraternity or even a non school group such as a horseback parade riders group.

School may be defunct, merged with another school or as mentioned, was pressured to change to a more "PC" theme.

Designs change too. For instance, the Amherst photos by Cougar show two distinctly different A's and a 3rd style A on the jacket...

If you find the school, follow up with them. Just maybe you could find the past owner's name if an alum recognizes the car.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

His picture of the back window in post #2 blows up real clear. Both examples appear to be the same, not a girl in the 1st pic, just missing pieces. And no, I have no idea where it's from.

22. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

Had 2 different people say Appalachian State without knowing what the other guy said. That being said, it was called Appalachian State Teachers College until the 70's, I think. Haven't seen anything that looks like that logo, though.

23. there are some sites that list high school and college mascots and emblems, however this does not match any of them. There was one school that had a musket in their emblem and it was eliminated due to "pressure" from the parents.
    If you can get us a larger image an artist can fill in the missing decal and get a better idea of what it was originally........^^^^^help us to help you^^^^^^

24. gtowagon

gtowagon

I wish I had better pics but these are all I have the decal has been deteriorating berry quickly and the first pic is the newest one I have the others are from when I first got the car a couple years ago. I didn't think to take good pics of it at first as I thought it would hold up but when I got the glass out to make pattens recently is when I saw that most of it had flaked off. The car is from California and spent its whole life there until 2009

25. gtowagon

gtowagon

This is what it looks like to me

26. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

No its not ASU or Appalachian Training School for Teachers (which closed in 1925, than in 1931 became Appalachian State Teachers College, than ASU joining the state system in 70?).

ASU is in my town and my neighbor went to it in 1950s?...

Ill do some research at the asu library... Hell Ill call Ken... the president at asu...

Attached Files:

27. gtowagon

gtowagon

Car had been off the road since 1950 so it had to have been put on before that

28. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I printed out your pics and went to ASU today... No one has any history on anything that ever looked similar...

29. toml24

toml24

OK, here is a little creative license with Photoshop, FWIW.

Attached Files:

30. Torkwrench

Torkwrench