Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A taste of Gasser Country

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 7, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. NICE! I also have loved the gassers ever since I was a child. REAL WILD RACE CARS.

3. chickenshift

chickenshift

very cool!!....

4. slowmotion

slowmotion

Great pics. Ohio does have a ton of history, in all forms of racing, really.

42 is WEST Salem btw, Quaker City is Salem, two different places.

5. BucketHeadBart

BucketHeadBart
    from illinois

Dragway 42 was my favorite place to be in the late 60's.
    Too bad the 70's came along, cause most of my memories from the 60's went up in smoke.

6. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

A gasser Merc!! I've seen it all now.

7. silverdome

silverdome

Well done gassers are alright in my book. I wonder if there was ever one called Jumpin' Jack Flash?

8. autobilly

autobilly

Yeah, a '49 Merc Gasser sure isn't something you see every day.

9. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

10. 6-71

6-71

Thompson: The Drag Racing Capitol Of Mid America,at least thats what they called it in the radio commercials back in the 60's. always looked forward to the comercials to find out what was going on that weekend.

11. DigDugMd

DigDugMd

How were they able to run so well back then without delay boxes, data recorders and/or laptops?

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Well I'm not sure where it all really started, but Ohio sure had their fair share of famous gassers!

13. flamingokid

flamingokid

I used to hate gassers,but over the last decade or so I've become "gasser friendly".

14. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

[​IMG]

I liked all of em, but the Merc stuck out the most to me.

15. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Love them!!
    More please

16. luke13

luke13

I never get tired of lookin at gassers,

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Here is a shot of my friend Dave Ehrman's old gasser. He, and his team mates, are from the Cleveland area and in the early 60's he drove it to two class wins in a row at the US Nats. It had a straight six and fuel injection. Gary

Attached Files:

18. Those were the race cars that left the biggest impression on me growing up! Love em! :)

19. Federico

Federico
    from California

I grew up near Lions Drag Strip in the Gasser Heyday, begging my Dad to take me. Being a Gearhead Guy himself, often we would go Friday nights or Saturday afternoons, which was cool, the Pits were wide open. I saw Big John, Stone-Woods-Cook, Ohio George, Johnny Loper's Anglia was very Fast & very Clean....I had all the Revell kits to build their models or my own Fantasy Gassers..A million others long forgotten, the Willys Pickups, always tailgate down for more weight on the Slicks. This was '65 -'68. A lot of 'em were still straight Steel, maybe 'glass front ends, all Hand-Lettered, no computer faux graphics on the cars then. They really weren't that fast then, but Forever Loud, Colorful & Cool...

33sporttruck likes this.
  20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The tailgates on the pickups weren't down for more weight on the slicks. They were down so the air coming over the cab wouldn't be trapped in the bed at high speed causing it to act like a parachute slowing the truck down. My friend with a '40 pickup gained almost 3 miles an hour when he dropped his tailgate.

Frank

21. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

Dragway 42 is still in operation. I love that place. I remember being on the bridge while Garlits was doing a burnout undeneath when I was 3 years old. Dad said I was a foot away from the zoomies on Gene Snow's funny car when they fired it up that day in the pits too but I don't remember it. Kids just don't get the oppotunity to get the crap scared out of them like that nowadays.

22. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

If you went to a dragstrip in the 60's, you gotta like the gassers!!!!

33sporttruck likes this.
  23. julioortiz

julioortiz
    from Florida

i remember the gasser car in the 60 and70

24. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

As a teenager in the Mid-60's I often went to Yellow River and Atlanta Speed Shop Drag-way. The Gasser's always put on a Good Show. Never liked the Funny Cars as it seems that they Pushed the Gassers out of the LimeLight !!!
    Barnett Brothers, sponsored by Hanson Buick in Decatur, Ga was a favorite. A Cherry Red 33 Willys Coupe. There were plenty of Gassers and plenty of Gas Classes running back then. The memories of those Cars still influence me to this Day..................... Jeff

25. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Oh man...I like that Merc Gasser...it's cool as hell!

26. CT Shoebox

CT Shoebox

I love gassers, i quite like that 49 Merc as well.... 49 was a good year. I really like "Ohio George" and his 67 and 69 Gasser mustangs. GMP does really cool models of these cars. I build Scale models as a hobbie and enjoy turning them into gassers.