Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie from AZ

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by mudsong, Mar 9, 2014.

1. mudsong

mudsong
    from Tucson, AZ
    1. A-D Truckers

Howdy Y'all. I found this chevy truck just outside of town (what year is it? probably a 1947-1955 model). I can't stop thinking about it! I think I need to buy it and rebuild it! But I have never done such a thing before.
    So, I would like to post a thread on this forum asking folks what they think of its condition and the price the owner wants for it. Where would I post such a thread (in what discussion area)?
    Thank you! Great Forum!

2. Welcome from MN

3. hallrods

hallrods

Welcome from Wisconsin

4. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

It looks like a 19.......uh, can't tell without a photo. (smiling) There's a big difference between 47 and 55. Why not go ask the owner? And ask him if he's like to sell. When you do all that then post photos and a few words about what you plan to do with it.
    And, while you're at it, post something more than you reveal in your intro. Just entering "Tucson, AZ" isn't really an intro. If you want to fit in here, try a bit harder.
    Read some intros from other than FNGs. You'll get the idea.
    Welcome.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

5. mudsong

mudsong
    from Tucson, AZ
    1. A-D Truckers

Yes, I did ask and the owner is willing to sell. He wants $650 for it. I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how. I am not a forum hopper so not sure how to do that yet. Also I wasn't sure if here was the right place to post pics of it and ask others if that seems like a good price. But my profile picture is of the truck.
    More about me in my intro? um... maybe you mean in my profile, but I will add more here...
    I make pottery and work in behavioral health. I have two children 4 and 10 yr olds. I used to work on VW's with my Dad. Other then that and oil changes on mine and my wife's cars, I have not worked on cars. I don't drink any more and need another hobby. Maybe that could be working on this truck.
    I would like to get this truck and fix it up so I can drive it around. Sorry I don't know what else I would like to do with it. I like things stock or at least period appropriate.

6. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Welcome from Virginia.

7. 51 Super

51 Super
    from Iowa

Welcome from Iowa. Hopefully it comes with the front end body parts.

8. mudsong

mudsong
    from Tucson, AZ
    1. A-D Truckers

Owner wants $650 for it. No title. Looks like front end parts are in the truck bed and hood is on the ground. Just asking folks opinion if you think its worth it or not. thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

Hello from another tucson local

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Before you lay down any cash you might want to stop by one of those check cashing places that do titles and license transfers and see if they will run the VIN number for you,if the previous owner is dead or moved away the guy that has it now can't do a bill of sale.But to be honest if you have limited mechanical experience and limited tools you might be getting in over your head.

11. Green53

Green53

You might consider buying a better one even if does cost more. I would hate to see you get discouraged getting into project even an experienced person would walk away from.

Denny L

12. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Sounds like a ok deal, if he can come up with a title. Thats your biggest issue. also dont just factor in what it will take in parts and labor, also think about shop equipment and tools. it takes a lot of money in tools to get something that rough on the road safe. like whats said before dont get in over your head. finding one for a grand or two with a title and running would be a better start IMO. you can appreciate it as you drive it up and down the street. instead of it just rotting on the side of your house like the hundreds or projects I've seen that start out this way. most dont intend for it to work out like this, but most just end up that way. and 10-20 years down the road it moves to the next guy to let it sit.

13. mudsong

mudsong
    from Tucson, AZ
    1. A-D Truckers

Got the truck. Talked the guy down a bit on price. Still, no title and no vin plate ( I know, I know...) It came with some crazy big blue V8 engine (with tranny, transfer case) shoved in it unmounted (maybe from a pontiac? -having trouble identifying it) and a Dana locker front axle sitting in the bed. Hoping I can sell those for what I paid for the truck and buy an engine I can work with.
    Any way, this was a work truck and my goal is to get it on the road but not pretty it up. Keep it rough on the outside but fast and tight on the inside.
    Yes, the front end including fenders and hood came with it (but missing most of the grill and radiator supports.)
    It is a 3600 (3/4 ton, long bed, 8 lug). Not the desired truck among you collectors. But big n beefy.
    I can't imagine doing an S10 conversion yet although it has been suggested to me. So I am considering that and other options. Working on a design with time table and budget on paper first so I have a direction in mind before I start buying parts... at least I learned that much from you all.
    Thanks for your support!