Register now to get rid of these ads!

opinions on axle vs IFS suspensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bmita, Mar 9, 2014.

1. bmita

bmita

lets hear your opinions on axle vs IFS. found a model a that has a IFS front end it is a good deal on the ride just wanting some different views should keep that front end or swap it out

2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

IMHO it looks terrible on fender less early cars and I would swap it right away. This is a traditional hot rod site so most will tell you to swap it, but realistically it's up to you. What do you want? Do you like it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Agree, IFS looks terrible on a non-fendered car. If you can hide it under fenders, it may be OK. Being HAMB is for traditional, not many Model A with IFS supporters here.

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

All model A's should have a straight axle period...

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

X2, Even full fendered does not make it disappear,

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like to see two Model A's setup the same one with IFS and the other with a good straight axle setup and see if the ride is really that much different. Personally I judge cars by looks, never get to ride in many, and to be honest really don't understand the interest in drive over looks. Bob

7. bmita

bmita

its full fender. i had an axle car before never IFS. sold my model A last year been looking for another replacement i love traditional hot rods but havent found a replacement yet for my budget. the deal on this model A is great and the rest of the car is just right just wanted someones different view. thanks for the help

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

i like the IFS my roadster has. a lot of factors affect performance though...spring load,spring rate,anti-roll bar? the shockies...a well set up IFS is a great thing...but a well set up straight axle is pretty good tho

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. Buy the car and cut the IFS out and replace with a axle. HRP

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

IFS looks like crap on an early car. I have never understood trying to make an early car ride like a new car. Myself, as far as suspensions go, the bumps and bounce are a cool part of the package. Owning an early year car requires a little sacrifice. A smooth new Cadillac ride is one of them.

When I read about cup holders, A/C and IFS on this site, I usually just shake my head and go to another thread. But, it's your car and your choice. The world likes Street Rods too. I had a guy tell me I should put an IFS on my T Bucket. I told him he was stupid and walked away.

11. A picture is worth...... well, you know. IFS on an early car just doesn't go. Set up right , a dropped front axle will ride, handle, and look good. It's what belongs there. I put a Mustang II under my 40 Chevy P.U. 25 years ago, and it didn't ride any better than my roadster does.

Attached Files:

12. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

An "A" bone Hot Rod just looks "right" with a dropped axle. IFS is for fat fender cars where you don't really see the suspension. Nothing like riding down the road and seeing that old ford front end doing its job.