Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here into large scale (1/8) car models???

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Deuces, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Mrajotte

Mrajotte
    from California

Is there a website where I can request a specific model car to be made?

2. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Whacha lookin fer?

3. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Anyone interested in some 59 caddy tail lights in 1/8th scale? They are resin castings and they are seconds. I painted a set to show what they could look like. To be honest I suck at painting small stuff. I'm sure you guys could do way better. The fingers at the base are a bit choppy but those are usually frenched in and you would only see the tops depending on how deep you set them in. If interested shoot me a PM.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Those look pretty good!....:)

5. Haven't done much to it in the last few weeks.

1932 Ford Highboy (Monogram 1/8 Scale).

I have not found today's Sunday Models Thread (9 Mar 14).

Has one been posted?

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  6. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

That is one clean building area. I dig the pallets too.

7. Here's one I got on e-Bay awhile back.Not a kit but an r'c car that may have been made for the Bratz dolls.Has a working AM radio in it.Was missing the trunk lid and a headlight bezel.Rough cast a bezel from a mold I made of the opposite side and formed a deck out of .015 aluminum.Thinking about making it into a copy of the Mazmanian gasser.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Nothing to post yet....:(
    All I did today was assemble the wheels and tires for the t build...

9. Deuces

Deuces

That looks pretty good... Does the radio still work????...

10. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Well I finally did it. It took me what seems like forever but I finally perfected the 59 Caddy tail lights. I have the originals in rubber and should be casting them soon. I went into the original mold with and xacto blade and cut the bad fins so when I cast them they would be oversized. Then I used my micro files to reform the fins. Two and a half hours later the fins were near perfect but the lenses were still pitted (sand cast finish). A couple coats of my daughters nail polish and they were smooth as glass. I'm also working on a batwing air cleaner and 58 Chevy tail lights all in 1/8th scale.

11. Amazingly it still does.Only gets a couple of stations though.The other car I had about this size that had the same radio was sort of a generic convertible that had the Bratz logo on the side simulating the model name.I striped it and we auctioned it off at one of the charity panel jams.I thought I had some pictures of it but can't locate them.
    The thing I don't like about the Corvette is everything looks pretty accurate except the windshield assembly.The top of it wraps over backward a bit and the windshield posts are vertical rather than slanted.Don't know why this was done. Someone mentioned that these were produced only for a short time and that they weren't authorized by GM.I've seen a couple others on e-Bay in different colors and they want silly money for them.

Deuces likes this.
  12. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I'm now offering up Caddy Batwing air cleaners if anyone is interested shoot me a PM. This is the first pull from the new mold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Deuces

Deuces

I gotta see if I still have the 4-bbl intake from the Monogram chevy engine kit to bolt that air cleaner on too....
    If I do, I'll order one...

14. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I have a buddy (Ken Borst) that is an incredible builder. He does mostly 1/16th scale. His latest creation has my head spinning. It's his rendition of a 1938 Graham-Paige sportsman coupe and it is stunning to say the least. This model was all carved from foam and meticulously detailed. He is truly an artist. I just wanted to share with you guys.

Deuces likes this.
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That's very nice, Jim. By any chance would he be willing to do some 32 bodies?!?!?!?!? eDeuce will never do any, new models, eh? Gary

16. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

HI GARY, LAST TIME I TALKED TO MIKE HE SAID HE WAS LOOKING FOR A NEW CASTER FOR THE '32 SEDAN & '34 3W COUPE. I WOULDN'T MIND SOME 32 BODIES IN 1/16 THOUGH :)

17. At one time there were some '32 5wdw bodies around. Can you still get them? tim

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yes, sure.... but he has been saying that for what, 10 years? And yet the string of semi-scale 32 coupes continues on sale via ebay. Who is casting them, Mike? Why can't that same guy work a new mold? There is just no explaining it. Heck, why doesn't RM come out with a 32 Sedan kit, or Cabriolet, or Pickup, or Vicky kit? It can't be that costly for them to just make some body and interior parts to fit their decade old Deuce kit, eh? Or just aftermarket bodies, like a biggie parts package? Gary

19. belair

belair

I can't even get my 1:1 crap put together. You guys have amazing skills and patience.

20. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

TIM, MIKE SELLS THEM ON EBAY, OR YOU CAN CALL HIM.

YEAH, I KNOW GARY, I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A WHILE FOR THE SEDAN, BUT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE A 1/8 '34 3W COUPE

21. RatT
    So, do you have info on Mike....web site or email. I took a brief look on ebay but didn't see any. I did see some monogram stuff.

22. I could really get into a '34 roadster!! Guess that will be a life time happening. though

23. THX_138

THX_138

Has anyone come across any 1:8, 1:6 or 1:5 scale hard styrene truck bodies from the 30's, 40's or 50's ?

Would be very interested to see what is available if anything.

Thanks in advance

24. Just stumbled on this old thread. I don't do much in 1/8th scale; build 4 cars and you need to buy a new house to make room for a 5th! I am in progress (a LOOOOOONG term project) in building a 1/8th scale mode of Ed Roth's Mysterion. I haven't done much on it for most of a decade due to real life getting in the way. Last year I started building a real life reproduction fo the Mysterion which is a good thing for the model since it is answereina lot of questions on how the car went together. I should have the full size car done by Winter and will get backon the model and finish it fairly quickly I think. Here are pictures of the fiberglass body molds, the body and engines mocked up next to a Revell plastic model and a picture of a few of the many molds I made to cast all the resin parts I need. I carved to body in wood, made the fiberglass molds then made the fiberglass body fromt he molds. Top blowig in my over ws very easy. Frame is brass, misc parts from several plastic kits.

Attached Files:

Deuces, RamJet1 and kiwijeff like this.
  25. What about Johnny Lightning? He dose some cool 1/24 stuff, so whats stopping him from doing big stuff? Someone should ask him? Just putting it out there. :)

26. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

27. Thanks Rat: I checked out his site...he has a lot of cool stuff!!!

28. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

YOUR WELCOME, YES HE DOES, I WISH HE WAS STILL OFFERING THAT '29 MODEL A BODY, BUT IT'S NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  29. I dig it!

30. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

NOT SURE WHAT THOSE ARE