Register now to get rid of these ads!

torque thrust wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alphabet soup, Mar 9, 2014.

1. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can one of you wheel guru's tell me once and for all. The differences between torque thrust wheels. What I call regulars, D's, II's and so forth. Some look like they have spokes that curve out and are straight. Thanks, Gene.

2. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I am clued in that much. I have a pair of American 15x8.5 Torq Thrust wheels. And A pair of 15x7 E.T.'s. I have seen Americans advertised in many ways. As just Torq Thrust, or as Torq Thrust D's or Torq Thrust II's. Can someone tell me what those differences are?

3. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. thunderplex

thunderplex

Wrong!!!

American Racing Equipment came initially came out with the Torque Thrust "D" series for 1966 Corvettes with disc brakes.

D=Disc

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does that mean they have a different offset or something but the spokes look the same?

6. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The D has curved spokes to better clear disc calipers. The offset may be the same, but the spokes meet the rim farther out.

7. Larry T

Larry T

D's were the first curved spoke Torque Thrust. They were built this way to clear the calipers on Corvette disc brake set ups.

This should get you started on the history.
    http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/#ARH

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Torq Thrust and Torq Thrust II are very similar looking, but the TT-D is not a nostalgic looking wheel. Similar, but immediately identifiable as a disc brake wheel.
    The ET spoke is as close to the old TT or TT-II as I've seen, if they are the dark cast centers. These are 8.5"x15" ET on my car:
    [​IMG]

9. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Larry, thanks for the link. I should have done that search for myself.
    Mr. 427 thanks too. I have those wheels in 15x7 on the front of my car. But I'm looking to put something a little thinner on the front. Have gone backwards to go forwards so much on this car I should name it "U-Turn". Want to get the front wheel right the second time. Gene.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  10. thunderplex

thunderplex

AmerRacingEquip TTs wheels had a press -in center cap, did not use the 5 tab screw center cap, as shown above.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Larry T

Larry T

I think the original ones had center caps (metal, not plastic) with screws. I know my magnesium American 5 spoke wheels have screws holding the caps. They have 3 screws twisted off in each wheel.

12. American racing T-70s had round press in caps.

Attached Files:

13. gtowagon

gtowagon

The original TT wheels had straight spokes first offered in magnesium then in aluminum. The TTD had the curved spokes I have always heard that it wS for the mustang disc brakes but I guess it could have been for vettes. The TT2 came about in the 90's ? And was offered in pollished and larger sizes 16,17,18. Now they have the TTO which is similar to the first TT's but not an exact copy. Variations of the original TT have been made by dozens of manufacturers over the years

14. There's a pointy spoke like an V that's straight - these are the originals.
    There's a round spoke like a U that's straight
    There's a V spoke that's curved to go around brake calipers and softens as it does.
    Then there's a U spoke that's curved and these are much latter edition, reminds me of tulips or something else equally silly.

15. Larry T

Larry T

And to confuse things even more, I think they currently make 1 piece and 2 piece wheels that look the same, but different id's.

16. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

the TT-IIs are the newer 2 piece wheels.

17. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

The TT II's are the newer ones. They have curved spokes and don't look old school at all. Everybody seems to be running them. ........ I hate them