Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "The Abomination" Henry J gasser- on the operating table

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

2. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Ryan, That Henry is so bad- ass! I always look forward to seeing it at the Hunnert and Rust Revival. When I free up some time, I'll have to do up a kick ass drawing of it!

3. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

That would be totally awesome! I would love to see your artist rendition of it

4. Saxxon

Saxxon

I've always had a soft spot for these things. Yours is seriously bad-ass.

5. jason65

jason65

Very tuff. Awsome car dude.

6. 65 impala

65 impala

very kooooooooool

7. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Nice work. Enjoyable read!

jonesy likes this.
  8. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

I'll hook ya up! However, I will need a ride in that bad ass J at Torquefest or Rust Revival!!!!! :D

9. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

-I never did post the results of the Meltdown drags. My pertronix conversion in my distributor fried 2 days before the drags. In a last effort I changed the ignition over to an MSD with a 6AL box (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know what you are thinking... magneto instead... but I didn't have the time or cash)

My Sun tach apparently needed an adaptor for the box.. so no tach.

Took it for a test drive before dark the night before the drags.... Still missing...:confused:

Now what, the car was running worse... one side of the motor was so lean if I ran it, it would cook it.

So, I was ready to throw in the towel, when my ol' man suggested I try changing carburetors. I had some 500 cfm Carter competition series AFBs that came on the cross ram when I bought it. They had been sitting on the shelf and on every mock-up motor for the last 6 years uncovered collecting everything under the sun. In an hour and a half we had the Holleys off and the AFBs cleaned up and on the car. About that time Falfasnightmare and several other HAMBers showed up to lend a hand.

I pushed the button and it fired right up... wait, the needle is stuck on the DS carb. Pull the lid back off, free the needle, put it back together.

Fired it back up barely turned any screws and it was sounding good! Took it out for a test drive and it ran PERFECT!

The next day at the Meltdown Drags it turned a 12.25 ET and 110 mph.
    I ran it without a tach.. I just set the rev limiter in the MSD box at 7000 rpm.

1st pass 12.25 109 mph
    2nd pass 12.25 110 mph
    3rd pass 12.35 108 mph (hot lapped it)
    4th pass 12.26 109 mph

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  10. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Hope to make it to Torquefest next year. John Wells is a hell of a guy and he puts on a hell of a show. If I can meet up with you there, I won't hesitate to boil the tires with you riding shot gun.

11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

With that kind of consistancy, who needs a tach.

12. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

I hope you can make it to Torquefest! I'd love to catch a white- knuckled ride in the J! Man, that would be awesome!!!! I agree- John is a helluva guy! He's doing a pre registration party at the indoor show in January at the QCCA building in Rock Island. Shouldbe a great time there as well!

13. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Your meltdown time consistancy should make you turn pro!

14. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Updates on the car. The MSD iginition is currently giving me miseries. It is still under warranty, so I will probably replace the box and put the complete MSD ignition up for sale.

I scored what appears to be an NOS Joe Hunt magneto. Has the original box and instructions. At some point this winter, I hope to make the conversion.

Pictures of the set-up later...

15. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The Henry J made an appearance at the last Hunnert Car Pile-up along with most of our other club members.

The original Swindler II was there and we couldn't resist getting some photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Lil Screamer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

17. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I took some pictures of the Magneto system I have collected for the Henry J. I still need to get plug wires.

From the best I can tell, this is an NOS Magneto. It is from 1978 and still has the original box and papers. I tested it on the bench and it throws a good spark. I also checked it to see if it has a mechanical advance in it, and it does (bonus).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I traded for the this Sun 'MAG' Transmitter. I'm running an 8k Sun full sweep currently, but I don't think it will work with my mag. I'll switch it over to this 9k Sun tach that requires this transmitter.
    [​IMG]

enloe likes this.
  18. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

[​IMG]
    Bad ass photo right here!:D

enloe likes this.
  19. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ X2...

That's what you call "keeping good company"

20. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

wow Ryan! the Swindler 2 in the flesh. i will bet you were all over that lil' car taking mental notes. bonus scores on the Mag and transmitter too.

been following the Freakin A also and you guys are doin' it right.

sorry i had'nt posted sooner but i've been off the board for a while knee-deep a (new to me) VERY OT early-eighties superbike project. got some quality seat time in the saddle this fall and it as been very rewarding

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Neat car. Has the right look.

22. edweird

edweird

any more pics of that stude?

23. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Yeah, way cool car and a way cool guy. That is the Coronado car club drag car. I have more pics somewhere.

If you go to www.meltdowndrags.com there are pictures of his car there in the albums. He raced at our event.

24. Clik

Clik

I like the Stude too. Any other pics or info on it?

25. I think he raced it in the 60's and just drug it out recently. Here is another shot:

Attached Files:

26. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

love the car. this has always been one of my favorite henry j s

27. Clik

Clik

Looks like the Rutabaga packs his lunch. I guess he figured he'd have time to kill while waiting for that 55 Chevy to get to the finish line.

28. ohiohenryj

ohiohenryj

i know this is an old post but what headers are you running? also any chance of getting some pics of the steering linkage? what pitman arm?

29. Masama

Masama
    from Finland

Hi! Back to the old topic.
    My plan is use a Weiand cross ram intake with a two 2 bbl 350 cfm carbs.
    The engine is a 355 sbc with Trick Flow heads, XE284 cam, cr 10,75:1, car weight 2500 lbs, rear 3,27:1.
    Do I need to make a connecting pipe or is there any trick to get to work on the street?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  30. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

Hey Von What steering stabilizer are you running on that?