Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Setting up a chassis on a frame table

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by zorro4153, Mar 8, 2014.

1. zorro4153

zorro4153
    from Pa

I'm setting up a 36 Ford chassis on a frame table to change the front and rear cross members and box the rails and I'm not sure what part of the frame rails to use to level the chassis. When I level it using the bottom of the frame rail it looks like it is high in the front. Also do you level the chassis and set the engine at 3 deg. or set the chassis at 3 deg. and level the engine to the chassis ?
    Thanks for any help guys.

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Set the frame angle the same as finished ride height. Then set the engine at 3 deg. and rear pinion 3deg. up.

Ago

3. Guess you need to decide on tires and suspension components first.

4. zorro4153

zorro4153
    from Pa

I know the suspension and tires that I'm planning on running. I running a quick change in the rear so I need to change to a model a rear cross member and a 4 inch drop axle in the front. I need to move the engine back two inches, so I wanted to replace the factory front cross member so I don't have the motor mount bolt holes and install engine mounts behind the cross member. So, don't I have to level the chassis to give me a reference point for when I'm changing the cross members ? I know it might be a stupid question, but what part of the frame do you use when you are setting it up ?

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Setting the chassis at ride height. It allows you to set your front cross member at the same angle as the caster on your front axle as to not bind the front spring when it compresses.

Ago

6. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I always build with the chassis at the angle I want to end up yet,otherwise I think you will end up with a geometry nightmare.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. I think what these guys are saying is: there is no place on your frame that is necessarily level. You have to calculate the heights of your front and rear cross members and set them to their calculated height. Once you have that done and the frame leveled crossways then you can set your engine and differential at three degrees off the table.

8. Like he said.
    Decide on wheels, suspension type/heights etc and go from there.:D

9. An easy way to do it is find a 36 that sits the way you like

Measure the height of the frame rails front and rear

Jig your frame at that height, and build the suspension arround it

10. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

My son and I just completed this task for his '51 Chevy truck. Definitely set your chassis at ride height first. Everything else is set up dependent to ride height.

Here is the thread for our build...pics are worth a thousand or so words at least...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867354

PM me with any other questions. I'm happy to help in any way.

Best regards,

Troy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

isnt the base of the carb supposed to be level?
    then the rear is set up to match the angle of the output shaft of the transmission

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. Intake manifolds are not customarily parallel machined. The -3° tilt is built into the intake, making the carburetor level, when the rest of the engine is at +3°.

13. zorro4153

zorro4153
    from Pa

I really appreciate all the help guys. :)

Thanks again,
    Tony

14. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Before you cut anything apart get a bunch of angle iron and tack pieces side to side, cross cross on the top and on the bottom of your frame so when you cut your crossmembers out you'll stay square. You can box it with these in place too.

15. How does that relate to log intakes?
    My Offy seems to be parallel. Will that cause any issues down the road?

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably not. There are very few perfectly level surfaces on the Earth.

17. ty johnson

ty johnson

When i built by frame i set it at a 4 degree rake and went with it.