Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there a market for custom wood tear drop trailers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Yes there is a market. I looked at a modern one at the last swap. Pretty nice but I like the wood better. Junkyard dog 32 used to make them as well.

2. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

What were the specifics and what was it priced at?

3. ratster

ratster

i started on mine a few weeks ago, got the frame done. i'll be changing out the tires n wheels to match my hot rod

[​IMG]

4. PM him, I do not remember

5. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I've been directly involved with two of these, a Kenskill reproduction and a Modernistic restoration. I've been peripheral to a couple more. The wood is heavy people need to realize that these things can be towed by a CRV. They are well under 1000lbs, more like 750. As for value, I've seen nice trailers bring $6500 to $8k up here in the bleak broke north. Something really special might bring $10k. They take a lot of labor, more than you'd ever expect. I have a couple of frames, a stack of templates, a bunch of material, and I'm not currently building number 3. Infer what you will.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Very nice. Side profile says it all. Good luck on the third one. How thick is the plywood you are skinning? I am assuming that is what you are doing.

7. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

On the Kenskill the sides are 1/2 ply. 4x10, kind of hard to find. The modernistic was unusual as the construction was all aluminum and angle iron. I did put a 1/4 birch interior in it but it wasn't structural.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Boat suppliers have that larger sheets of plywood.

9. TexasDart

TexasDart

I've also considered these...I would want a 'tent' option..ie...screened in room where you could crawl out of one of the doors and then stand up and get dressed..ie...a little setting room. Then of course you need the full kitchen in the back...the optional AC. :) By the time you get all this cool stuff you could by a small canned ham or a egg camper. But it you want something smaller to pull the tear drop is the way to go.

10. I have been working on a Teardrop, and picked up a tent that was designed to attech to the back of your SUV, I think it is about 7' x 7' with a door on one side and a "hatch" on the other that attaches to your SUV (or teardtop). I think we got it at Cabellas.

As for air, some people use small window A/C units, we have a portable called a "pet cool" that is designed for dog houses. It attaches with hoses similar to dryer vents.

There is a great web site for teardrop builders http://www.tnttt.com/ full of information from guys building and restoring teardrops and other small travel trailers.