Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Really odd Moroso SBC valve covers - any history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michigander, Mar 8, 2014.

1. I picked these odd SBC covers off the auctions site, mostly because they remind me of Ford VC's and I've never seen them before. "Mororo" is cast in, but the casting quality is rather crude. They are heavy and thick, with no part numbers found anywhere. Is anyone familiar with them? Moroso has been around since 1968, and the 1973 catalog has no covers in it at that point.

Maybe they are prototypes, or some creative racer named "Moroso" cast them in his garage.... I just don't know. Do you?

Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Mororo valve covers would be odd indeed. Moroso stamped steel valve covers and oil pans were more common but they might have made some cast aluminum at some time. Now they make fabricated aluminum covers.

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You stated "Mororo" is cast in, but clearly, the ones you pictured are "Moroso"...???

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool valve covers...

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What's a Mororo?

6. lht

lht

rick moroso had a 1/4 mile track down here years ago made all kinds of parts, cool valve covers btw

7. fortynut

fortynut

Obviously he meant 'MOROSO'. I don't know if they're rare and all that but, they're cool looking and having prowled a lot of swap meet aisles, I'd snap 'em up in a minute --- if the price was right. Are they for sale?

8. A fat-fingered Moroso.... but you got what I was saying.

Dick Moroso's son Rob Moroso was also into racing, but I doubt he made any parts. Dick Moroso (Rick Moroso?) owned "Moroso Motorsports Park" in Florida, which did have a drag strip.

Steve

9. No, I just bought them on Ebay last week!

Steve

10. Racewriter

Racewriter

Those are NASCAR engine valve covers from the 80s. May have stayed in the catalog through the early 90s. You run the breathers on the left side head, so the centrifugal force doesn't spit the oil out.

11. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Cool valve covers. I remember seeing some Moroso valve covers in the '80s that I believe were aluminum. But, if memory serves, they were more like the Holley/MT valve covers. Thanks for sharing the pics.