Register now to get rid of these ads!

Open Drive Banjo--worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Crawling through the junkyard the other day, I came across this Open Drive banjo rear end with leafspring mounts.
    I'm assuming it's for a pick-up truck.

No idea what the ratio is.

What's this worth? I'm thinking it might be a good piece to get for an A build I'll be doing in a couple years, with a 264 Nailhead and 3spd in front of it.

-Brad
    (can't get the pics to upload... has parallel leaf spring perches, and juice backing plates.)

2. Most likely '42-'47 Ford F1, but without pics it's hard to be sure...worth whatever you are willing to pay at the junkyard. Either scrap prices or if the yard owner knows what it is and what it's for prob between $100-$200 if that helps. Ratio either 4.11 or 3.78.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

An aftermarket open drive conversion setup is a few hundred bucks so... I have an open drive center and 37-41 bells and axles under my A pickup.

4. I paid $75 for the last open drive rear I bought

5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Pics:

Attached Files:

6. That's rare around here

7. The bell looks cracked..but that is an F1 open drive banjo. Offer $50 go from there. If that is a crack, the insides might look like what the inside of the Titanic looks like now!!

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

On the bottom side there are the numbers indicating the gears ratios: Like 9 37 or such. As already mentioned, probably 3,.78 or 4.11

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Good eye! I didn't notice the crack, but you're right.
    I have a complete A axle, and another set of bells and axles from a mystery application, and there's a '38 up there too--destroyed body, but the front and rear suspensions are both there.

-Brad

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It's worth scrap price. If it had been stored inside, perhaps a little more.
    The "Titanic" remark is probably true, sadly. Will the seller allow you to take it apart for inspection?

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't think that's a crack at all . Just shadow from the factory weld that attaches the tube to the bell. Damm hard to crack on of these here or any where. These ol banjos are pretty well sealed unlike the torque tube models so the internals though ancient should be ok apart from age and moisture in the air inside. Grab it.

12. definetely just a shadow from the weld, no way you'd crack it there with out any other damage

13. Very well could be a weld shadow, tough to tell in the pics..even if it was cracked, I'd still try to get it since it's an open drive...

14. BELLM

BELLM

42-47 Ford pickup. 48 was first year for F1, did not have banjo. I have 2 of these.

15. jrsiron

jrsiron

If the ring and pinion are still good I would offer at least $200. I need one. As far as I know no one sells new gears.

16. Technically, F1 was '48-'52 but earlier models '42-'47 also were lumped into that category also. Correct, '48-'52 did not have a traditional "banjo" rear like the cars in '48.

17. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

To find the ratio...divide 9 into 37.
    Or what ever stamp is on the rear end.

18. flat-v8

flat-v8

Speedway has new ring & pinion sets for '35-48 Ford banjo rear ends, 3.78 3.25, 3.54 and more! They are pricy

19. jrsiron

jrsiron

Gearset is different for open drive rearend, at least the pinion gear is.

20. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Thanks for the info, guys. It'll be coming home with me next Saturday.

-Brad

21. finn

finn

I don't know what they're worth, but my neighbor gave me one last spring. I grabbed it real quick but didn't have an immediate use for it so I stored it on a pallet.

Unfortunately he came barging into my shop one rainy evening last fall looking for it. Apparently some acquaintance called him looking for an early Ford open rear end and offered him $250 sight unseen.

I gave it back and hope it went to a good home.

Didn't even get a lunch out of it and I helped load it.

22. good score....Speedway's "kit" is about $300....and then you need a rear end to go with it....bells are some what easy'r to come by....

23. 28rpu

28rpu

These also came with 3.54 gears. I've come across several of them. If the ring gear is worn the rear end is not worth much at all. '42-47 pickup gear sets are unique to themselves. The open dive is only useful on those sets.

24. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I have a nice one of these rear ends still under the 47 PU frame . Can't give it away here in Maine.

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

"fab32" asked me about measurements on one I had in a PM, So I just gave the complete axle to him as a surprise ,... When I got to his place and asked where he wanted me to drop it off, He said, "Over there in that pile" ..... Yep !.... He already had a pile of them... so that's where it is this very moment. I guess Frank didn't have a tape measure handy.

I totally misread the situation,.... "what we had there was a failure to communicate !":D