Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical chopping a 48 plymouth

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bako48, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Your lines are flowing nicely... Good call on the molded drips... This sucker is gonna look mean!

2. Great job on the chop! Lines look great! Can't wait to see the grille treatment.

3. Agreed. I like the bronze tinted glass idea with that color. That'll look real cool

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. bako48

bako48

ya I'm gonna spray it dark brown again its. a new Mercedes color. it has a lot of pearl in it so the pearls play good off the curves of it.

5. bako48

bako48

I'm really leaning towards the bronze glass just hope it doesn't look "TINTED" I just want the brown hue. also my glass guy is here getting it done In the evening time so if theres any pics of any part of it you guys need just let me know so I can post or send em to ya. steve ill send you the part number and contact of the rubber were using so when your ready you don't have to order something that might not work.

6. desertdroog

desertdroog

That's a heck of a neat flippy paint. It really suits the curves indeed. I look at it and my mind thinks it is grey, no brownish champagne, no....metallic graphite... good choice regardless!

I can definitely picture the bronze toned glass, at least in my minds eye as not looking brown, but until it is outside under the sun, there isn't any way to know for sure.

7. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I agree with your work and ideas. Please, carry on.

8. bako48

bako48

Primed it all in high build buff today hope tomorrow brings some color sanding and base...... soon as it cures out with fast reducer glass is going in!!! Will take pix

9. bako48

bako48

Got a little over exited while spray the window openings for window rubbers. Motivated me to hurry my ASD up and drive it!

Attached Files:

10. desotot

desotot

This is looking good!

11. bako48

bako48

Rear glass fitted and side window cut down and test fitted

Attached Files:

12. Gotta love this build, awesome job bako

13. bako48

bako48

Thank you its been a lot of late nights. Still along way to go to have it ready for VLV. Hope to pick up my seat tomorrow.

14. bako48

bako48

Got the engine pulled today and took it for one more ride with the flatty

Attached Files:

15. Oh yeah! Thanks man that'd be great! I found a couple places online but some of the windshield rubbers are one piece and some are two piece. I wasn't sure which ones were right

16. bako48

bako48

Squezzin the 350 in there!!!

Attached Files:

17. n847

n847

Killer project man! First time I checked out this thread! Looks great. I'm subscribing. Did you decide anything else about your grill? I'm trying to decide what to do with my front end since it was pretty chopped up a long time ago. I like the french job you did on your lights. Mine are tunneled right now but I was considering butches rings to make it look a little more natural. Butch is located about 10 miles from me so I've been eyeballing those for a while. Right now I'm trying to track down a stock grill opening and see how difficult it is to put mine back to a stock apperance that's been cleaned up a bit.

18. bako48

bako48

N847 Im gonna end up using my stock center bar just narrowed a bit to fit the opening better. II want it to be simple with some chrome so its either one stock center bar or thee three smalller ones taperd towards the top I got the stock center piece if you need it and a few other pieces. some people dont like butches rings but I think they cool on my car. pretty straight forward install to.

19. SICBOY

SICBOY

Nice build

20. Ever find a good place for window rubbers? It's getting warmer over here in illinois finally. I'm gettin anxious to cruise!! Think I'm gonna get glass cut this week.

21. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Bako's is the business coupe. The other P-15 coupe is a Club Coupe, which has bigger rear windows, a longer top, and a back seat. Your car never had a back seat, right?

This is the Club Coupe:
    [​IMG]

The "Deluxe" or "Special Deluxe" is just the trim level & you can tell by the dash medallion on the Special Deluxe speaker grille:

[​IMG]

Anyhow, you've done a ton of work to this car and work that is very impressive. Molding the drips was a good call. It disguises the misalignment from door top to roof, which is ugly with the rails shaved, unless you really re-work the door tops. At least it appears this way to me.

That's a lot of travel on the rear suspension! Are the rear axle swingarms bolted rigidly to the rear axle? I can't quite tell what's going on there.

I'd really like to see your car in person sometime. :cool:

22. bako48

bako48

ya its a deluxe business coupe.No back seat wish I had one tho. my rear trailing arms are hard mounted to my axle BUT there is a bushing were it bolts to my chassis. It gets a lot of lift but Its set up that way so I can use less air to lift it and with the shocks makes for a smoother ride cause the rear end in sort of just floating back there. where you located ulu? I'm looking for the radio delete plate if you know of one. My radion works still just wanna smooth it out more.

23. Well proportioned chop! These mopars make great customs.

24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Sorry, can't help with the plate.

So how big and rubbery are those bushings? I'm wondering if this is gonna bind & try to twist the chassis when you get on a side slope.

I don't know much about airbagging, but without a lot of bushing or a lot of flexing (or both) I can see you lifting a rear wheel in the corners

Does the rear end ever twitch hard and chirp the tires when cornering?

25. bako48

bako48

Honestly I drive the heck out ta this car when it had the motor at least. But I really have had any issue as far as major flex or tires slipping. Its really similar to the Chevy style trailing arms just different types mounting. Some people use u bolts with the trailing arms sandwiched. Or double bushing to eliminate axle twist. I was driving my car everyday without issues but with air ride or any custom suspension will have its pros and cons. Just depends on your budget. I built mine with simplicity and dependability most important bushings are 1-1/2" urethane with a 1/4 sleeve and my bars are 2x2x1/4. With a stainless track bar.

26. bako48

bako48

Steve my rubber is- made by CRL part# AS-893. Cost me 125 shipped for 50 foot roll. Crlaurence.com. its got a type of locking strip.

27. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Are the rear bags both on one air hose/circuit?

28. bako48

bako48

Ya just one paddle valve for rear and same in front. I run no compressor just a nitrogen bottle no noise but down side is having to fill up bottles. Sucks! No compressor noise tho is nice. Now that I'm putting the 350 in I'll be running an engine driven compressor

29. So it's just a universal type deal huh? Cool. What about he windshield? I'm assuming you're doing one long piece around the perimeter and then one down the middle between the 2 pieces of glass? The price is right for sure. Thanks man. I'll check it out.

30. bako48

bako48

the center..... the width of the glass stayed relatively stock but with this rubber instead of sitting on top of my pinch it sits inside (if that makes sense)so instead of runnin chrome We beveled the inside of the glass and it the two pieces will be butted together and clear siliconed to have a seamless look. we beveled the side of the glass that goes inside the part so it gives room on the outside to fit tighter ill take a pic for you. the quarter windows are tempered so we couldn't cut them Are you gonna run the stock glass just cut down or buy new stuff?