Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Chevy hot rod truck questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bangkok Dean, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

I have been working on a 56 chevy 3100 that has a L98 corvette engine, it sits on an 83 truck chassis. I would like to know where the water drains from the upper cowl vent? I have removed the kick panel vents and installed speakers. But I realize the air to these vents comes from the cowl vent located just below the windshield but where does it drain?I have not driven the truck in the rain and don't want to find out that the rear of the speakers get wet.

Thanks for any help.
    Cheers, Dean

2. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Look back up under behind the rear part of the fender. Above the where the lower hinge mounts, there's a drain opening at the bottom of where the air travels down. See arrow in pic. I doubt this will guarantee water won't get near your speakers. Hope this helps. :cool:

Attached Files:

3. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

Thanks for the quick response. So the water travels down past the vents? I wonder why the water don't go into the cab threw the original vents in the kick panels?

4. FatBob

FatBob

Maybe it's because the water is heavier than air, it just collects in there and runs out the bottom....?

5. Until that small opening gets plugged up with leaves & crap and the water just sits there. Then you end up with this...

Attached Files:

6. Rodshop

Rodshop

Exactly!

7. You can purchase acoustic pods from companies like Crutchfield that mount behind the speaker.

They will give you better sound AND most are water-proof, so they'll keep your speakers from shorting out.

8. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Given water is heavier than air and the part where you vent doors mount in can knock any water down out of the air it seems very little water gets into the vent. But, that drain can plug up fairly easily which could create some issues as shown. You can also go onto this forum and search about this as they have a section for these trucks: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/ I know mounting speakers there have been done a lot so there should be some threads showing what people have done. There are also manufacturers of kick panels with speaker mounts so maybe you could contact one of those and see what they say. :cool: