Register now to get rid of these ads!

old farm trailers as a source of parts.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5foot2, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Around here Ford running gear was used under wagon boxes, flat trailers. When left outside for years the wheels are rotted out.

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

as mentioned Sears and Montgomery Ward made some kits to convert early car chassis to trailers--some were marketed under tha name "Bradley"-saw several like this and some were 32's as well-this was in central CA--probably still alot around on old farms,etc.

3. Lucky77

Lucky77

The 40 Ford backing plates on my sedan and the spindles that I just installed on my roadster came from the front axle of some dismantled farm wagon that I bought for ten whole bucks!

4. hvychvy

hvychvy

My buddy picked up this 32 frame/trailer from a guy for a case of beer a couple years ago.Mega score!!:)

Attached Files:

5. barnescole

barnescole

the 9" in my pickup came from a farm trailer made from a 57 ford truckbed and frame. big bearing, just had to scrap the leather pinion seal.

6. hotrod harry

hotrod harry
    from wisconsin

found this under a crappy boat with free for the taking sign on it
    threw the boat back in the yard and fled with rest!

Attached Files:

7. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

(quote)
    found this under a crappy boat with free for the taking sign on it
    threw the boat back in the yard and fled with rest!
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

You sir, are a dick! Instead of being grateful for a free chassis, and disposing of the unwanted boat which was the owners whole point to GIVING away the chassis, you dump it in his yard! ...amazing!
    ... and then you get on the HAMB and brag about it?! Did you expect support from US?! What a dick ...

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

You really should go back and pick the boat up, Damn.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  9. nutajunka

nutajunka

Double Damn!.....,.:p

10. nutajunka

nutajunka

I have a couple friends, one a farmer who has a stack of model A and T frame rails they used as fence posts. The other has a old junkyard and uses the rails for shelving supports. T and A stuff everywhere crazy!

11. I know where a hay trailer is in a junk pile....it was made from a Packard and still has the wire wheels on it! Rear diff housing and straight axle as well....

12. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I ran across a homemade trailer on craigslist about a year ago. made out of a 1947 studebaker pickup bed complete with fenders, and in good shape. The axle was a ford 9". all for $125.

13. THIS is an interesting thread! An OLD thread but interesting.
    I want to add "The Vester" to it.
    I found an old Dodge axle welded up as welder tow rig in a junkyard
    [​IMG]
    Which I later turned into a six ft trailer.
    [​IMG]

Best I can figure it is a mid 1930's Dodge truck front axle. The wheels on it were later and the hubcaps had holes cut in them because the hubs were so long on the axle. I am guessing the hubs were long because it originally came with spoked wheels.
    I replaced the rusted wheels with a couple 14's that came on my '66 Mustang when I bought it years ago. Not as interesting as some of the other finds but I'm proud of saving an old axle before it was scrapped.

An illustration of how LONG the hubs are on this thing
    [​IMG]

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The original flatbed from my 37 Chevy p/u was removed to become a hay wagon and the truck went into the woods,I am glad nothing was done to the rest of the truck. If my uncle would have lived longer the truck probably would have been made into many things.

15. Sorry no pictures, but I found an old wooden horse trailer that had 4 Kelsey Haze 40 spoke bent wire wheels with it. Had to drag it out of the woods swap wheel to tow it
    home for $50 bucks,. Thought it was a great deal, they are on my '46 Ford now.

16. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

One of my grandpas hay wagons has 50's Mopar hubs on it. The first time I ever had to change a flat on it when i was a kid he let me fight with it for about 15 minutes before he told me about the left hand threads.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. wsdad

wsdad

made from 30s vintage car front end heavy duty springs

4 x 8 homemade trailer - $125 (redwood falls) <SECTION class=userbody><FIGURE class=iw>
    [​IMG]
    </FIGURE>
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

<SMALL>(google map) (yahoo map) </SMALL>

<SECTION id=postingbody>made from 30s vintage car front end heavy duty springs DAVE @ 507-640-0809

18. ...bought a car from this guy, he has this old wagon with early Ford runnin gear, gonna go back for another look
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  19. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Great thread. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for old trailers.

20. Buddy has a buzz saw made out of a '37 Plymouth. Cut the body off behind the front doors, big truck wheels welded to the drums (!), frame bent behind the rear axle to carry a big (like 2 feet or more in diameter) sawblade. To spin the blade, it had a drum in contact with one rear wheel - to cut wood, you jacked that wheel off the ground with the air pressure pumped up in the tire.

So not only did you have the giant unguarded blade, but you had a car on a jackstand running at speed, in gear. I suppose if you nosed it up to another tree at least it wouldn't run away from you if it fell.

But there was enough left of it a guy could have made a pickup out of it, or put another body on it.

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Next time your at a farm auction pay attention to any of the really old timers there.
    See how many are missing fingers or a arm.Corn pickers were the most common digit snatchers.
    Safety was not the biggest concern.The Depression/post Depression era folks were just trying to get by and you made do with what you had.

22. One I own.
    Early 40's Ford axle with '49 Merc wheels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  23. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

It sucks how much of this stuff was scrapped around where I live... I remember seeing this kind of stuff, even Doodle Bugs in the corner of almost every field. Now its gone and yuppies with huge houses are there. :(

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

Farm Auctions are great> I picked up a wagon with a 32 frame for scrap price and Ford pickup bed trailers often have a 9 inch.

25. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

Here is one of my finds. I pulled all the old rotten boards off and this was under it. I have another at my Dad's house that might be old Plymouth artillery wheels. Just for fun guess what is in the back round.

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      521.3 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      556 KB
      Views:
  27. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Bought my model a frame form a junkyard and it was used as a hay wagon in its past life I also drug a 33 front end out of the woods with my dirt bike not to fun but it now resides under the a frame and it too was some sort of trailer the steering was bent down and welded to the wishbones couldent beat the price cost me a ratchet strap when it got caught in the chain and turned my dirt bike into an instant low rider lol

28. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I always used to look at old trailers. I've seen some reasonably decent early Ford pickup fenders on those things before. I also once salvaged some super-duper early (like '20's) rearend out of one once. No idea why I did that.... I guess I was into the "preservation" mindset at the time.

29. indyjps

indyjps

Found a trailer at a local gardening place that has this axle, can someone identify it. They're not real interested in parting with it so I may have to pony up some cash, what's the axle, wheels worth?
    I want to add this to the parts stash, just don't want to overpay.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  30. metalman

metalman

A guy here found a 41 Ford convertible sitting in a pasture, found the owner who was willing to sell. Problem, the doors were missing. Old rancher claimed he had the doors, sure enough they were 5 miles away being used as gates on his sheep pen!
    Growing up on a farm we had all types of trailers, wagons, saws made out of old cars and trucks with the left over bodies lying in the trees and arroyas. Never thought twice about saving any of it, the farm and everything with it was sold off years ago.