Register now to get rid of these ads!

CENTRAL AVENUE CRUISING MARCH 8th- Phoenix, Az

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by azcruiser14, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

That is one nice transmission.... I never shoulda sold that thing...

2. Topspeed

Topspeed
    from Peoria, Az

Hello folks, I heard about this thread from my friend "Blown UFO" a couple months ago and I've been following it for about a week or so. I started a Cruise on Grand Ave back in November. We call it "The Grand Cruise" and it's about the same as what you folks are doing on Central. We get together on the last Saturday of each month (Holidays and special events excepted) and we show up around 4:00pm and mostly just socialize and Cruise. We meet up at the Dennys at 8737 NW Grand Ave. Currently we have just shy of 80 members in our group. It is very close to the way Central was back in the 70's. 3 lanes wide each direction, nice smooth fresh pavement with a median and plenty of places to park along the roadway. The speed limit is a little higher (45mph) but it doesn't seem to make alot of difference once the sun goes down. If you like Cruising you are welcome to come out and Cruise with us anytime.

'59DaddyO likes this.
  3. Topspeed

Topspeed
    from Peoria, Az

Some of our guys are going to be joining you for the Cruise you are having tomorrow on Central. I'm not sure how many will be there, but the ones that are going are the people from our group (The Grand Cruise) that really want to revive Central, much the same as you. We wish you the best of luck for a successful Cruise with no big problems.
    We seem to share many of the same concerns. We would like to have a lot more people show up at our Cruise, but if it gets too big, people start doing things that the business owners don't like as in Burnouts and Dounuts in the parking lot etc, or some one causes problems with local traffic (Vehicle accidents or pedestrian involved accidents) and Johnny Law gets involved and the next thing you know we get shut down. No matter where you Cruise the issues are the same.

'59DaddyO likes this.
  4. Topspeed

Topspeed
    from Peoria, Az

I noticed a post from Nick Flores where he was asking azcruiser14 if he was "Dean". I don't understand why azcruiser14 didn't answer the question, by not simply answering the question he makes everyone wonder if he is or not. In short, he is not Dean. And he ain't "Dr. Phil" either lol

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Understand this everyone, I have gotten PM's from a couple of different accounts that have no posts, just signed up to the forum, lacking info on the profile...etc, here on the HAMB and even the bookface. I just figured them as excited new guys, as most of you know know I ain't got time for this shit. What really jerks my chain is now I see somebody, and I still dont understand need for all this secrecy, is someone going around the internet posting, and I quote, "We are members of the HAMB," and blah, blah, nancy perry, blah blah, dont piss in the street, blah blah blah.....come cruise...

Seriously dudes, its a fucking public street, we're all welcome to use it. Personally, I use it everyday. With open pipes and the occasional trail of tire smoke.... I don't understand why you guys don't just make a cruise? If you're really so well plugged into the car scene why not just call your buddies and make it happen? Why all the hushed tones, and secret identities? Oh wait, this shits all over the interweb, so Nancy and the rozzers were gonna find out one way or another.

Im all the fuck for this deal... I live close enough I could probably throw rocks at you guys from my yard. What pissed me off was getting messaged about this, referring people to the "take back central az" thread, being ignored, and now somebody is hiding behind the HAMB because we are the cool kids in town... Be a man, I'm Dicface Magee and me and my club the Dicdrips have decided to start cruising....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  6. azcruiser14

azcruiser14

TRI POWER...and all, see you there...

Seriously dudes, its a fucking public street, we're all welcome to use it. I don't understand why you guys don't just make a cruise?

I don't know your history (and Iam not losing sleep over it), but talk to Louvers...he's level headed and can explain. Curious...1,000 cars...shit...300 cars come down...where they parking when they aren't cruising? Sure Central can handle 20-50 cars a night the way it is now..but when you try to bring a lot of cars down, where are they going to park? It isn't secrecy, it's common sense. Fast foods can't handle them...every other place has "No Trespassing" signs. Before you start a 5th grade rant on No Trespassing signs, talk to Louvers...like me and most others in here, he's been there...done that. The No Trespassing signs on Central are what broke Central back in the day.

Take the chip off your shoulder, we're on the same side. As John McCane (Die Hard) would say quit being part of the problem, be part of the solution.

7. Mike

Mike

To all here who are getting worked up, as Sgt. Hulka said, "Lighten up, Francis".

Keep it simple. Just show up and cruise, spontainiosly (sp) like the old days.

Now I'm gonna hop in my heap and go cruising. See ya'll there, or not.

Oey vey!

8. Just got back from picking up food on central in my wifes Mini. I saw the blown yellow 32 coupe again, and also a black 57 Bel Air convertible. Kills me to have mine on stands still!

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Good time down there tonight and it was fun to see some new faces. We even got in a couple of laps and I spun the keys to the ugly bucket to Nick and Landseaandair for a pass or two...

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Decent turn out this time and a little more variety. Doing my best to get the A done so I can be more of a regular.

11. Mike

Mike

Very good turn out last night. I spotted 30 to 40 cars running up and down Central.

For a while we had good groups of cars at Park Central and at Dairy Queen, with cars cruising between the two, like it used to be.

Then that "parking lot cruise night lemming" instinct surfaced, where we all have to do the same thing or be at the same place, so everyone at Park Central up and moved to Dairy Queen.

Groups of folks and cars dispersed up and down Central with people cruising in between is proper "old days" cruising. We had that for a short time last night.

Ahrrg...so close.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    '59DaddyO likes this.
  12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Looking forward to getting my pickup, finally roadworthy and DOING things with a lot of you knuckleheads, it's just that, yeah, this whole "$$CRUISE CENTRAL EVENT$$" bullschitt is tiring. I'm with Nick and Multicar on this, just go out and do it. If the cops chase us away, then so be it. Paying to actually PARK at Park Central is the epitome of lame. This will sound weird, but cruising should be a natural, spontaneous occurrence. If it takes planning and organization to get it done, hate to say it, but I'm not interested. The only money spent, should be on tacos, burgers and gas.

'59DaddyO likes this.
  13. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Organizing a swap meet or race, sure. A cruise night(?), meh....

'59DaddyO likes this.
  14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You NAILED it! It should be spontaneous! It almost worked last night as it should. I just put forth some basic "rules" earlier so that those that never experienced a "real" night cruising Central would understand that the stuff that is tolerated at the sanctioned get together couldn't happen if we expected to keep the street free. I honestly don't put my cars out on the street really during the two night a year sanctioned event, 'cause it's just too damn squirrelly, preferring to park on the upper level of Park Central's garage and watch the world below. I really want to see this come back, and not as a "get together" or "event", but as just something we do. Kinda like we used to. Strange though, I didn't even think about how long it had been, but as I have said before, there is a whole group of car guys that either grown up since weekend cruising happened, or just gotten into cars since that "normal" weekend cruises that just don't get how this works. I had someone ask me the other day, "Well, after we meet at D.Q., what are we going to do?"... Well, have fun?!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  15. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Like I was sayin... can we just go fucking cruise? If we're out there all the time it gives people the option to come when they can. Some of us will be there every week cause we live down here but it gives guys all over town the chance to gather up and come down as they can.

Chip and I had a nice chat while waxing some 84 year old Cadillac yesterday. Our subject was how this whole deal needs to evolve.

My feeling is that it's not 1975 anymore. The city has grown and people have many options on the weekends, its not "small town" Phoenix where the only things to do were shoot at coyotes and prarie dogs, go get hammered in the sticks, or cruise Central. It just so happened that many chose Central. But they weren't all driving hot rods...many came in moms car, or gramma's hand me down, or some kinda shit box they saved up for.

So here's the point of my long ass rant... we need to keep showing up, make some laps, but also incorporate the greater downtown area. Cool shit is going down on Grand south of the highway. It's two lanes now, and is a short jump down Central and through downtown proper. Imagine us taking over Grand on a first Friday, blasting through downtown, up Central, up to DQ, and back around til your done.

There are starting to be more and more things to do downtown, many that are locally owned, produced, etc... We can show our support for our community and give people more reason to make the trip from their neighborhood lawn chair show to come down and play at the same time. If we play our cards right the muscle cars will find a spot, the VW's a spot, the Low-low guys a spot, and so forth. Just like 1975...

'59DaddyO likes this.
  16. Mike

Mike

Si mon.

17. Since I decided to join the workforce once again and become an employee, all I can do is request off certain days. Since my employment is in a restaurant that seems to be at the top of the hipster list I doubt I will be getting many saturday nights off to join the fun, but as a good employee will do, I can request it off. Maybe they will give me a few saturdays a month off for good behavior.

'59DaddyO likes this.
  18. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Were did everybody go? Real nice night to bad there was not more cars out. Have a good week guys.

19. Topspeed

Topspeed
    from Peoria, Az

Hello folks, some of us "Grand Cruisers" are planning on meeting North of Camelback in the Uptown Plaza parking lot today around 5pm. (Across from Dairy Queen) Hope to see you on Central!
    "Keep it under a hundred!"

20. '59DaddyO

'59DaddyO

Hey everyone, I remember cruising my 59 F100 back in 85/86 on Central. Moved back to the valley in 88 and cruised in a loudly painted 73 nova hatchback we nicknamed the AM/PM car, it was blue with yellow/orange/red stripes and a huge snorkel hood scoop. Had loads of fun cruising back then. If I still lived in the valley I'd be there. Rooting for ya from Colorado have fun and cruise for me.
    oh yeah, I remember everyone had a hang out spot, best times of my life were spent cruising Central