Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pinch me! 32 Cabrio is mine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by crminal, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Rusty

Rusty

2. desotot

desotot

Very nice. Good scoop, I need one of those too.

3. Appreciate the info HRP

The top has been modified a bit when it was chopped. The wood piece would normally be tacked to the fabric and would lock into the windshield frame when the top was up.
    He changed it so you put the top framework up into position. The mahogany board is stationary on the WS frame.
    Then, slide the leading edge of the top fabric into a groove at the front of the wood board, pull the top back over the structure and snap into place.
    I'll post pics when I get there.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. 562roadster

562roadster

What a time capsule! That cabriolet is one of the best i've ever seen. Congrats

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

6. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

That thing is perfect, Even the things I don't like about it are cool as hell!...If I had it I would not be able to bring myself to change a thing...I would just drive and enjoy it as is....Open the hood and Lets see the "Mill"
    I love the chrome turned dash and the door hinges, and the switch panel, Hell I guess I love it all....LOL

7. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Oh man, that us cool, don't touch this one.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

That's some vintage tin, congrats man!

9. that's really neat!

10. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Wow great score. Doesn't it have door window glass? Have fun with it and keep us posted!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Congrats man!

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I just noticed the 3 on the tree conversion. Please don't make the old hotrodder that did that roll over in his grave. Genuine early hotrod.

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Congratulations and killer find . I just love them and have had this one for 17 years . If you have any questions please ask

Attached Files:

jalopykid and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Okay!
    IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

I've looked through many decoders but cannot make that number work (FI03IE), anyone. The casting # shows a 1957.

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This thing is really cool!! Lots of cool details and I really like '32 Cabriolets. Very very cool.

17. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

FI03IE

Flint 10-31 date '57 manual trans 185 hp 2V

It must be true.... I found it on the internet.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. I believe the engine code is merely "E", which is for a 2 bbl 283 with manual trans in 1957. I also see that the engine is mounted using the original '32 front mounts. It was nice of Chevy to include the holes in the front of the block to make the small block a direct bolt-in replacement in a '32.
    I do agree with JJ above, it is very very cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. NealinCA

NealinCA

Very cool! Keep posting pics, I wanna see more.

Neal

20. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

21. fsteddie

fsteddie
    from Pa

Good for you, thanks for sharing.

A hot rodder down the road from me scored a 32 Cabrio a couple years ago. Also a time capsule from the 60's. Was drag raced locally, tow car was a 57 Chev and this lucky sob also bought that a few years before. The 32 was stored in a chicken coupe for maybe a couple decades and know one knew about it. He now has the 32, and the 57.
    I'm building a 32 5w and have offered him a new Brookville roadster body for the Cabrio but he says he can't because he promised the owner he would not sell it. I keep trying, but I gotta respect his word to the guy.

22. Thanks for the good vibes guys.
    My buddy and spent the day on it. Rebuilt carb, flush lines, new fuel pump, mystery oil in cylinders, battery, rubber lines, plugs.
    Started right up, a bit of lifter noise quieted down in a few minutes and she runs and idles well.
    Intake manifold #3731398, Corvette.
    A good day indeed.

23. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I dig the "Gen bracket" Don't sweat that noise, The 283 is a good engine, And 1957 is perfect for this car. Normally I tell guys to do what they want with their own car, But in this case it would be a crime to change very much on this one. I would however dress that engine out with a pair of chromed 283 lettered valve covers and a 1956 corvette dual quad setup, with factory corvette air cleaners....Man, I am stoked for you! the only way this car could be any better is If it was mine...LOL

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Completely agree.
    I feel that I am the custodian of this car and any potential changes will be carefully studied. Brakes are next. I'll start posting some photos of the cool details I am finding. It's got the cool switch on the electrical panel to shut off only the brake and tail lights in the event of pursuit. ;~)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  25. Wow - That is awesome. Congrats!!! Love it.

26. Now this is a kick ass kool old hot rod....I like the idea of the tail light shut off switch. We use to do that back in the day, as I put one on my 49 merc back in 1956. Never had to use it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

These kind of blessings don't come often!! Be thankful and enjoy.....................

28. if the block has no provisions for side motor mounts it is 55'-57' block as 58' and later had provisions for side mounts.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. MTR-HD-Ordie

MTR-HD-Ordie

I was honored and privileged to have been a part of bringing this piece of Hot Rod history back to life. This car is truly a time piece and pictures do not give it justice. The one of a kind craftsmanship from the previous owner and natural patina needs to be experienced first hand. For sure, it has been handed down to the right person for proper preservation. Best part is, it ain’t going to just live in a garage!

30. Congrats on your score. Have you been able to turn off the garage lights and leave it for the night?